What is the difference between TV's with 240hz and above and 144hz monitors gamers like to use?

LaboonTheWhale

So my friend is talking about how he has a 230hz refresh Tv that he plays on and is talking about how awesome it is. And this is a TV he grabbed on black friday, while we all talk about having a 144hz monitor. Is it truly that high of hz displayed? like if I played some older or less demanding game and got that high of FPS I would really be seeing 240fps? 

TV's usually take a 60htz signal and simulate extra frames. Monitors take a native 144htz input. :) TV's take a while longer to do it so their definitely not good for gaming but great for watching sports and stuff

it's probably the soap opera effect, or frame interpolation. some people like it, some people don't. the tv could also be utilizing backlight strobing. you can learn more in this stickied thread 

1 hour ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

So my friend is talking about how he has a 230hz refresh Tv that he plays on and is talking about how awesome it is. And this is a TV he grabbed on black friday, while we all talk about having a 144hz monitor. Is it truly that high of hz displayed? like if I played some older or less demanding game and got that high of FPS I would really be seeing 240fps? 

#7 here.

4 hours ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

TV's use motion interpolation to fill in the refresh holes in 60Hz. The >60Hz you see in monitors is actually native, and they will refresh at that frequency.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud