mech keyboard cleaning

MANIDY inc

so i spilt oj on my keyboard 2 days ago, i went thought the 40 min it took me to clean the board its self,

but a few keys, space bar, E and ALT are sticky on the switch its self,

i have an AZIO MGK1 RGB, is there a way to take the switches out to clean them? will that require dismantling the keyboard? 

Everyone should own a vive.

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

2 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

so i spilt oj on my keyboard 2 days ago, i went thought the 40 min it took me to clean the board its self,

but a few keys, space bar, E and ALT are sticky on the switch its self,

i have an AZIO MGK1 RGB, is there a way to take the switches out to clean them? will that require dismantling the keyboard? 

To take the switches out, you will have to dismantle the whole keyboard and desolder the switches from the PCB if they are soldered.

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

put the keycaps inside a sock, tie off the end and throw it in the washing machine

i would advice handwashing them, way less chance of damaging them.

Just now, tlink said:

i would advice handwashing them, way less chance of damaging them.

oops wish I learned that 3 years ago 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

1 hour ago, Megah3rtz said:

put the keycaps inside a sock, tie off the end and throw it in the washing machine

well the caps then self are fine, its the a few switches that stick still, i cleaned the whole thing i even did what that video said, using a q tip to get teh switch wet, and well no luck still 

5 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

oops wish I learned that 3 years ago 

its probably not best to submerge them in water anyways unless its your last resort lol, but im not sure if isopropyl alcohol will damage the casing of the switches. it will remove the lube though..

2 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

well the caps then self are fine, its the a few switches that stick still, i cleaned the whole thing i even did what that video said, using a q tip to get teh switch wet, and well no luck still 

have you tried this guide? 
http://imgur.com/a/9sHx7

17 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

I spilled a beer on my k70 a year ago.

Best cure I found for the sticky key thing was to take a q-tip and some 70% or higher rubbing alcohol. Basically get a bit of the alcohol into the stem and pust it down a bunch of times until it moves freely. Let dry for a few days. If they still feel a little sticky, do the same thing again. I think I only had to do it twice for the worst of the keys. Make sure you let your KB FULLY DRY OUT before trying to use it again. Depending on how much alcohol you had to use, this could take a week or more.

I had some TUFF-GLIDE lube that worked wonderfully after cleaning to make sure things operate smoothly after that.

When in doubt, re-format.

1 hour ago, pwn_intended said:

I spilled a beer on my k70 a year ago.

Best cure I found for the sticky key thing was to take a q-tip and some 70% or higher rubbing alcohol. Basically get a bit of the alcohol into the stem and pust it down a bunch of times until it moves freely. Let dry for a few days. If they still feel a little sticky, do the same thing again. I think I only had to do it twice for the worst of the keys. Make sure you let your KB FULLY DRY OUT before trying to use it again. Depending on how much alcohol you had to use, this could take a week or more.

I had some TUFF-GLIDE lube that worked wonderfully after cleaning to make sure things operate smoothly after that.

being my only KB one week is not a time i want to wait xD honestly im just thinking about scraping this one and getting a new one, way to much work for me, i dont have the time to deal with cleaning this over and over 

1 minute ago, MANIDY inc said:

being my only KB one week is not a time i want to wait xD honestly im just thinking about scraping this one and getting a new one, way to much work for me, i dont have the time to deal with cleaning this over and over 

Dunno how much $$ you have invested in the kb, but it may be worthwhile trying to fix it when you get a new one. Or buy a cheapo kb for <$10 to tide you over for the week or so it will take to clean this one. just a thought.

Dunno how much $$ you have invested in the kb, but it may be worthwhile trying to fix it when you get a new one. Or buy a cheapo kb for <$10 to tide you over for the week or so it will take to clean this one. just a thought.

it was only $100 when I got it, i think its like $80 now 

Just now, MANIDY inc said:

it was only $100 when I got it, i think its like $80 now 

Well your call. That's not a small amount of money for a lot of people. And outside this forum, that is, to quote my non-pc friends: "fucking ridiculous for a keyboard!!"

Either way, I would recommend cleaning once you get a new one and at least you have a backup mech kb in case you spill on the new one or you or a friend/fam member wants one down the road.

its really pissing me off that the key thats the worst is E the most used key -_- no amount of water will stop it from sticking, i just used the straw method 5 times and still sticks wtf 

Well your call. That's not a small amount of money for a lot of people. And outside this forum, that is, to quote my non-pc friends: "fucking ridiculous for a keyboard!!"

Either way, I would recommend cleaning once you get a new one and at least you have a backup mech kb in case you spill on the new one or you or a friend/fam member wants one down the road.

money is not really an issue in my life atm, but yeah its a lot of money for a keyboard, i just can afford it 

im trying everyhing to fix the E key and nothing is working, i dont understand why, i wish i could just pull the switch out and clean it