GTX 970 low overclock

0ri0n

I've this graphic card the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, I can only achieve a low overclock with Afterburner. I used:

Power Limit: maxed out

Core Clock: +90

Memory Clock: +50

I saw people with the same graphic card achieving higher overclock. I know that every graphic card is different within the others but still is very frustrating. What's the troubleshoot? 

CPU: i7-5820k @4.0GHz // MotherboardAsus X99-A/USB3.1 // RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB // GPU: Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming // CaseNZXT H440 Razer Edition // SSD: HyperX Predator SSD PCIe 480GB // HDD: WD Black 1TB // PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS // Monitor: Asus VN247H 23.6" // Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX // Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma Destiny 2 Edition // Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core // OSWindows 10

Referral link for HashFlare Mining: 
here

5 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

means you lost the silicon lottery buddy,

my 260X would crash if i applied any OC to it, so RIP just unlucky maybe

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

silicon lottery, perhaps?

this sucks:dry:

CPU: i7-5820k @4.0GHz // MotherboardAsus X99-A/USB3.1 // RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB // GPU: Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming // CaseNZXT H440 Razer Edition // SSD: HyperX Predator SSD PCIe 480GB // HDD: WD Black 1TB // PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS // Monitor: Asus VN247H 23.6" // Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX // Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma Destiny 2 Edition // Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core // OSWindows 10

Referral link for HashFlare Mining: 
here

1 hour ago, 0ri0n said:

sell it and get a new one xD 

Everyone should own a vive.

33 minutes ago, 0ri0n said:

How... exactly... does buying a product and having it perform exactly how it was advertised to perform... suck?

If you wanted more performance, you should have spent more money. OCing a graphics card is only good for a few FPS anyway. Easier to simply turn down a setting by a notch. 

58 minutes ago, 0ri0n said:

There are a few other options you can look into.  First, you would need to get a baseline set for your card.  Record everything you see in the GPUz sensors tab.  This is VERY important, especially with Maxwell / Pascal.

Depending on the type of card you have, on most of them, you can increase voltage to help keep higher clocks more stable.  This stability will greatly depend on the driver version, the software you're running, and power delivery.  The PSU can GREATLY affect your overclock.  A good quality PSU for overclocking is absolutely essential.

Get some screenshots posted of a Heaven run with GPUz sensors tab running, and let's see what the GPU is doing at stock clocks, and then post a pic of what it's doing with an overclock.  

27 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

How... exactly... does buying a product and having it perform exactly how it was advertised to perform... suck?

If you wanted more performance, you should have spent more money. OCing a graphics card is only good for a few FPS anyway. Easier to simply turn down a setting by a notch. 

So, you don't like overclocking, and are going to try to discourage others from doing it.  You don't understand it, so it's just ridiculous for anyone to try it.  Gotcha.....  /smack

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

1 hour ago, 0ri0n said:

I've this graphic card the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, I can only achieve a low overclock with Afterburner. I used:

Power Limit: maxed out

Core Clock: +90

Memory Clock: +50

I saw people with the same graphic card achieving higher overclock. I know that every graphic card is different within the others but still is very frustrating. What's the troubleshoot? 

Did you try pushing extra voltage?

30 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

So, you don't like overclocking, and are going to try to discourage others from doing it.  You don't understand it, so it's just ridiculous for anyone to try it.  Gotcha.....  /smack

Both of my cards are overclocked, however, I'm not naive enough to be upset over not getting something that was never mine in the first place. Overclocking potential is a bonus, not something to count on or even expect. It's like buying a 4 cylinder eco-car and expecting to get a free turbo with it. :rolleyes: You get what you pay for.

Wait a minute: 970 G1 gaming boost itself up to 1394MHZ so +90Mhz OC = 1484Mhz which is a very nice OC for 970 series. I saw a couple of guys reaching beyond 1500Mhz but that is not an easy task, even JayzTwoCents had problems to archieve that on HallOfFame cards. the 1.5Ghz is a big brick wall for Maxwell GPU's. Just like 2.0Ghz for Pascal (On Air). 

Remember:

Overclock is not an exact science: Results may and will vary from one sample to another, due to the physics involved in the manufacturing process. 

Apples to apples: when you search for overclock offset, remember to clarify what is the reference clock. MSI cards boost lower than Gigabyte's. Offset will be bigger on those. 

Internet trust issues: in this forum and many others you will find people that claim to have a unicorn that can poop gold ingots twice a day.

Try using a different Overclocking software. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

Can you give the exact final clock speed you get? +90 mean nothing 

Eg: My 980 Ti can do +500 on core after BIOS mod.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

24 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Eg: My 980 Ti can do +500 on core after BIOS mod.

wtf? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

13 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

wtf? 

Just an example,you can mod a BIOS and heavily downclock it just to get "high offset" for e-penis bagging.

Derp A: Mine can overclock +400mhz after BIOS mod, if i use original BIOS it only overclock +50mhz. :(

Derp B: Noice! What is the final clock speed?
Derp A: 1450Mhz for both BIOS.

Derp B: christian_bale_american_psycho_patrick_b

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |