i3 6100 Can Only Handle Up To 2666Mhz Ram??

Hey Guys,

I run my i3 6100 at 4.5Ghz (1.375v) (BLCK method) and my Crucial Ballistix (rated at 2400Mhz) at 2595Mhz (1.25v) on a Asrock Z170 Pro4 motherboard. I wanted to overclock my ram further as an i3 really benefits from it, but my system then became unstable. I assumed this instability came from the fact that my ram was only rated at 2400Mhz, and it couldn't overclock any further.

Standing by this assumption, I went out and bought 16GB of Corsair Vengeance rated at 3000Mhz (1.35v)

Problem is, I still can't take my ram past 2666Mhz, even with the new Vengeance sticks rated at 3000mhz. 

I went around and did some searching online and discovered my motherboard can handle up to 3866+mhz ram (wtf who needs that). I also read about IMC (Internal Memory Controllers) in Skylake chips.

I am now at the conclusion that I got really unlucky and got an i3 with a bad IMC. (Can only handle up to 2666Mhz)

I know Skylake is only officially listed to handle up to 2133mhz, but i've never heard of anyone being stuck at 2666 max before...

Am I screwed until I get an i5/i7? Or is there anything I can try to make this work.

All replies are appreciated!

Cheers!

UPDATE #1

At stock speeds, (3.7Ghz) I can discovered I can run the ram at around 2800Mhz max. But when I try to run the same speed at 4.5Ghz I don't even POST. 

Maybe this info is helpful?

so on your budget build, you went out and bought new memory instead of just slapping an i5 in there? 

not qualified to answer the question, however. Sorry. 

9 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

so on your budget build, you went out and bought new memory instead of just slapping an i5 in there? 

not qualified to answer the question, however. Sorry. 

Yeah, i'm getting a burst of money for Christmas so i'll be able to get a new processor then. I just sold some old hardware and didn't have anything else to buy. I figured if i was going to get a new processor and case then I might as well get some nice new (and sexy asf) ram to go with it. (Had only one stick of 8gb before)

EDIT: 

The ram was on sale for £89, which is a killer deal for 3000Mhz VengeanceLED. (even the 2666 version cost more lol)

2 minutes ago, Grandi said:

Yeah, i'm getting a burst of money for Christmas so i'll be able to get a new processor then. I just sold some old hardware and didn't have anything else to buy. I figured if i was going to get a new processor and case then I might as well get some nice new (and sexy asf) ram to go with it. (Had only one stick of 8gb before)

Base clock overclocking is a very unstable way of, well overclocking. Better off with a 6600k

The geek himself.

I got some Vengeance, can't get it to run at 3000 on an Asus board, but it does on an MSI one. Could be interaction between mobo and ram... I'm not up to speed on bus overclock i3, but is that limited to certain BIOSes? I find the ram compatibility is often updated in newer bios...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

Base clock overclocking is a very unstable way of, well overclocking. Better off with a 6600k

You may be right, but i've seen Digital Foundry and countless others get an i3 running perfectly stable with 3000+Mhz...

2 minutes ago, porina said:

I got some Vengeance, can't get it to run at 3000 on an Asus board, but it does on an MSI one. Could be interaction between mobo and ram... I'm not up to speed on bus overclock i3, but is that limited to certain BIOSes? I find the ram compatibility is often updated in newer bios...

Have you checked if your Asus board supports 3000Mhz ram? It's not just up to the CPU when it comes to handling ram.

You may be right, but i've seen Digital Foundry and countless others get an i3 running perfectly stable with 3000+Mhz...

depends on the board and memory

The geek himself.

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

depends on the board and memory

But my board happily supports up to 3800+Mhz...

Just now, Grandi said:

But my board happily supports up to 3800+Mhz...

but the ram may not support it properly

The geek himself.

*forgot to quote*

Edited by Grandi

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

but the ram may not support it properly

The ram is rated at 3000Mhz. Even the Ram's XMP profile sets it to 3000Mhz.

Have you checked if your Asus board supports 3000Mhz ram? It's not just up to the CPU when it comes to handling ram.

Yes, I've had G.Skill Ripjaws 4 running in the Asus at 3333. There's something about Vengeance it doesn't like and it'll only boot with it at 2900, but the ram doesn't appear to be faulty since it runs at 3000 in another MSI board I have. And I have also swapped CPUs between them too. I think this is just one of those compatibility things.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Yes, I've had G.Skill Ripjaws 4 running in the Asus at 3333. There's something about Vengeance it doesn't like and it'll only boot with it at 2900, but the ram doesn't appear to be faulty since it runs at 3000 in another MSI board I have. And I have also swapped CPUs between them too. I think this is just one of those compatibility things.

Fair enough man, atleast you can get 2900Mhz... xD:(

EDIT:

I don't think it's the ram being faulty or a compatibility issue... Honestly it feels like I haven't even changed ram. (other than the addition of the sexy asf LEDs)

I think it's a problem with the BCLK OC method (I can't get mine to run past 2666Mhz either)

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I think it's a problem with the BCLK OC method (I can't get mine to run past 2666Mhz either)

Possibly. But I tried running it at 3000Mhz (Default XMP profile) even without overclocking and it still wouldn't boot...

1 hour ago, Grandi said:

Possibly. But I tried running it at 3000Mhz (Default XMP profile) even without overclocking and it still wouldn't boot...

How do you like that board?  I'm about to build my son a rig for Christmas with that exact board and an i3 6100.  I got some cheap Geil DDR4 3000 that I'm going to be using with it.  Hopefully I don't run into the same problem.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

How do you like that board?  I'm about to build my son a rig for Christmas with that exact board and an i3 6100.  I got some cheap Geil DDR4 3000 that I'm going to be using with it.  Hopefully I don't run into the same problem.

The board is incredible for the price, and I like it a lot. The only downside is this ram issue i'm dealing with.

Just now, Grandi said:

The board is incredible for the price, and I like it a lot. The only downside is this ram issue i'm dealing with.

Great.  Thanks for the feedback.

Speaking of price, I'm picking it up brand new for $39.99 at Micro Center.  The i3 6100 just went on sale for $99.99 so this is working out perfectly.

Great.  Thanks for the feedback.

Speaking of price, I'm picking it up brand new for $39.99 at Micro Center.  The i3 6100 just went on sale for $99.99 so this is working out perfectly.

Woah $39.99? I payed around £90 for mine haha. That's a mad deal!

6 minutes ago, Grandi said:

Woah $39.99? I payed around £90 for mine haha.

Yeah, it's $94.99, but Micro Center gives you a $30 discount if you buy the CPU there as well.  Then ASRock is giving a $25 rebate on top of that.  I have no problems with buying the CPU there as they usually have the cheapest CPUs out there.  I'm still torn between the i3 6100 and a i5 6600k, but he's only 7 so I don't think he needs that much power yet.  I was just glad to find a Z170 board that cheap so it can be overclocked in the future with or without an upgraded chip.

Have you tried increasing VCCSA voltage along with DRAM voltage to get the RAM to boot at 3000 MHz?

28 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Yeah, it's $94.99, but Micro Center gives you a $30 discount if you buy the CPU there as well.  Then ASRock is giving a $25 rebate on top of that.  I have no problems with buying the CPU there as they usually have the cheapest CPUs out there.  I'm still torn between the i3 6100 and a i5 6600k, but he's only 7 so I don't think he needs that much power yet.  I was just glad to find a Z170 board that cheap so it can be overclocked in the future with or without an upgraded chip.

Have you tried increasing VCCSA voltage along with DRAM voltage to get the RAM to boot at 3000 MHz?

Not so sure about the VCCSA voltage but the ram is definitely running with 1.35v 

9 minutes ago, Grandi said:

Not so sure about the VCCSA voltage but the ram is definitely running with 1.35v 

Give your VCCSA a slight bump.  It may be an offset voltage so try something small like .01v to .02v at first.  Set your DDR to 1.4v and see if that combo lets you POST or boot with XMP set.  If not, we can play around with manual timings to try to get you running at the speed you're wanting.

Give your VCCSA a slight bump.  It may be an offset voltage so try something small like .01v to .02v at first.  Set your DDR to 1.4v and see if that combo lets you POST or boot with XMP set.  If not, we can play around with manual timings to try to get you running at the speed you're wanting.

Cheers, I'll try giving my VCCSA a small boost but i'm not too sure about setting the ram to 1.4. Isn't 1.35 the maximum safe voltage for Skylake?

Just now, Grandi said:

Cheers, I'll try giving my VCCSA a small boost but i'm not too sure about setting the ram to 1.4. Isn't 1.35 the maximum safe voltage for Skylake?

It's completely fine at 1.4v.  We're just trying to see if you can get it to POST/boot.  Also, does your board support eventual voltage?