Powering a 6 pin GPU off of a 180 watt DC jack

john826472
Go to solution Solved by SLAYR,
41 minutes ago, Aladd2040 said:

Also i am not able to use a normal power supply due to size constraints. 

You get a pico psu, and solder on a six pin connector for just the gpu then.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005TWE3O8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481910582&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=pico+psu&dpPl=1&dpID=31rL-5S2vBL&ref=plSrch

Take the two 12V pins on the 24pin connector and the 12V wire on the molex and solder them to a six pin connector, as well as the ground wires.

Hello everybody

I am asking, is it possible to power a 6 pin graphics card off of a 180 watt dc powerjack by some how rigging the 6 pin connector?

Although I am sure you could, by the time you bought the necessary things to do it, you would be at the cost of a power supply. Plus in general that just sounds like a bad idea

very bad idea, please don't do it

get a new power supply. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

13 minutes ago, Aladd2040 said:

Hello everybody

I am asking, is it possible to power a 6 pin graphics card off of a 180 watt dc powerjack by some how rigging the 6 pin connector?

The answer would be No, not without adapting your voltages. and basically building your own power supply. 

Plus, you can very easily fry your GPU doing this.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

9 minutes ago, Aladd2040 said:

Hello everybody

The main problem you will face when using any kind of secondary power supply is synchronicity: computer PSUs are of the switching kind, but the different states may not coincide in time and, as far as I understood, that could be risky for components. There are some accessories to hook two power supplies that in principle should take care of that, although I haven't use them.

This is a problem for GPUs since they receive power from the PCIe slot as well, so they are always hooked to the main power supply through the motherboard (at the very least, you can say they are hooked to the motherboard's power delivery for PCIe), on top of whatever you use to feed the 6-pin.

A secondary power supply would work much better and with less hassle for hard drives or other components that only get power from one source.

Could i use a less powerful brick PSU like an 80 watt? Because the GPU should only draw what power it needs from the PSU.

5 minutes ago, Aladd2040 said:

Could i use a less powerful brick PSU like an 80 watt? Because the GPU should only draw what power it needs from the PSU.

The problem is the voltage. Using wall power would mean you are pushing 230/110V (didn't take vrms into account, but you get the point) through the gpu, which would fry it immeadialy. The workaround is build a DIY voltage regulator, but you need to have skills and won't be cheaper than just using a psu.

1 minute ago, FTL said:

The problem is the voltage. Using wall power would mean you are pushing 230/110V through the gpu, which would fry it immeadialy. The workaround is build a DIY voltage regulator, but you need to have skills and won't be cheaper than just using a psu.

I am talking about using an 80 watt 6.6A 12 volt power supply.

5 minutes ago, Aladd2040 said:

The GPU doesn't only use 12V, i think it uses 5V and 3,3 V too.

Edit: I'm wrong. Sorry. It only uses 12V

Picture: https://goo.gl/images/iV4Eb0

27 minutes ago, Aladd2040 said:

It is possible to yes, it isn't worth it to though if your psu doesn't have pcie connectors you should get a decent one that has them, or even a molex to pcie six pin.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01D0XATL8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481910360&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=molex+pcie&dpPl=1&dpID=41Ws2fmp%2BzL&ref=plSrch

Most likely if it is a cheap adapter it will have a lot of ripple current, so your gpu is actually receiving 12V + or - x amount of ripple voltage, with too much ripple you could fry the gpu, too little and the card will crash.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

41 minutes ago, Aladd2040 said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005TWE3O8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481910582&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=pico+psu&dpPl=1&dpID=31rL-5S2vBL&ref=plSrch

Take the two 12V pins on the 24pin connector and the 12V wire on the molex and solder them to a six pin connector, as well as the ground wires.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Thanks i found one on amazon. xD

Most wall wort power supply are only half wave rectified. I would Not do this, too much room for error.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

11 hours ago, asand1 said:

Most wall wort power supply are only half wave rectified. I would Not do this, too much room for error.

Well the power supply i am using is for a Pico ITX motherboard so i assume that it is quite stable.