Dell XPS 15 9550 Freezes for a Second?

Hi,

I recently bought a Dell XPS 15 9550 with 32GB DDR4 memory, i7 6700HQ, and GTX 960. No matter what the task, light or heavy, my screen freezes for a second every so often. If I'm simply scrolling down a page of google it will freeze for a second and then pick up farther down the page. Youtube videos, games, Video Editing, and 3D Modeling (autodesk Maya) all have the same issue. I wasn't expecting an issue like this with such a nice system. Other than this problem, it is working perfectly. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

Zach

23 hours ago, Zach99 said:

I recently bought a Dell XPS 15 9550 with 32GB DDR4 memory, i7 6700HQ, and GTX 960. No matter what the task, light or heavy, my screen freezes for a second every so often. If I'm simply scrolling down a page of google it will freeze for a second and then pick up farther down the page. Youtube videos, games, Video Editing, and 3D Modeling (autodesk Maya) all have the same issue. I wasn't expecting an issue like this with such a nice system. Other than this problem, it is working perfectly. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Do a fresh install and then update to the latest bios and firmware. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

I also have this problem with my Inspiron 15 5000, it's not frequently, but it happens from time to time (maybe it's because it uses a hard drive), anyway, I'd get in touch with Dell Support

Uninstall the bundled crapware and trial software like McAfee Live Anti Virus.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I have a 9550 and don't have that problem. I did a fresh windows install in AHCI mode as soon as I got it though (Never booted into the pre-installed dell windows at all).I'm running the newest bios and all up-to-date drivers. I did swap the dell 1830 wifi card out for an Intel 8620 though.

What HDD configuration do you have?

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9550, Intel i7-6700HQ, 8GB DDR4, FHD Display, GTX 960M, 256GB Toshiba NVMe SSD, 480GB Kingston V400 SSD

Desktop: CPU: Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5GHZ  GPU:  Zotac GTX1070 AMP! MB: Asus Z170-E  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz 2x8GB  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 SSD: 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe  HDD: 3x1.5TB Western Digital Green (Raid 5)  PSU: Corsair HX850W  Case: Fractal Define S  Keyboard: Logitech G710+  Mouse: Logitech G700

7 hours ago, Electroz said:

I have a 9550 and don't have that problem. I did a fresh windows install in AHCI mode as soon as I got it though (Never booted into the pre-installed dell windows at all).I'm running the newest bios and all up-to-date drivers. I did swap the dell 1830 wifi card out for an Intel 8620 though.

What HDD configuration do you have?

I'm using the 1tb PCIe SSD. I did try to install a fresh copy of windows, but I'm running into issues I've never seen before. The SSD doesn't show up on the list of available drives when trying to install windows, and I'm prompted for storage drivers. Are you familiar with the issue and/or do you know how to fix it? I've tried Google plenty but haven't found a solution. I tried loading the storage drivers from Dell's site on a seperate drive, but the installer throws a "lack of certificate" error or something along those lines and doesn't even get to the driver folder. I've built/tinkered with PCs for a long time, so if you do have a solution don't worry about making it simplified, I'll probably be able to work through it :)

Thanks!

P.S. Just in case this means anything, the list of storage devices did pick up the USB Drive I was using to try and transfer the drivers, but obviously wouldn't let me install windows to it, not that I'd want to.

32 minutes ago, Zach99 said:

I'm using the 1tb PCIe SSD. I did try to install a fresh copy of windows, but I'm running into issues I've never seen before. The SSD doesn't show up on the list of available drives when trying to install windows, and I'm prompted for storage drivers. Are you familiar with the issue and/or do you know how to fix it? I've tried Google plenty but haven't found a solution. I tried loading the storage drivers from Dell's site on a seperate drive, but the installer throws a "lack of certificate" error or something along those lines and doesn't even get to the driver folder. I've built/tinkered with PCs for a long time, so if you do have a solution don't worry about making it simplified, I'll probably be able to work through it :)

Thanks!

P.S. Just in case this means anything, the list of storage devices did pick up the USB Drive I was using to try and transfer the drivers, but obviously wouldn't let me install windows to it, not that I'd want to.

Are you trying to fresh install windows 10, or 7? Try creating a brand new installation usb drive with the media creation tool. It gives you the newest available installer with newest available built in windows drivers. Also, make sure you have the bios set to AHCI mode instead of RAID. When I did that, it found my nvme ssd fine and and installed without issue.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9550, Intel i7-6700HQ, 8GB DDR4, FHD Display, GTX 960M, 256GB Toshiba NVMe SSD, 480GB Kingston V400 SSD

Desktop: CPU: Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5GHZ  GPU:  Zotac GTX1070 AMP! MB: Asus Z170-E  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz 2x8GB  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 SSD: 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe  HDD: 3x1.5TB Western Digital Green (Raid 5)  PSU: Corsair HX850W  Case: Fractal Define S  Keyboard: Logitech G710+  Mouse: Logitech G700

4 hours ago, Electroz said:

Are you trying to fresh install windows 10, or 7? Try creating a brand new installation usb drive with the media creation tool. It gives you the newest available installer with newest available built in windows drivers. Also, make sure you have the bios set to AHCI mode instead of RAID. When I did that, it found my nvme ssd fine and and installed without issue.

I'm using a USB Drive with the media creation tool for Windows 10. I'll keep searching google to figure out how to get it to detect my ssd. Thank you for your help! :)

5 hours ago, Electroz said:

Well, I think my frustration solved the issue. With my ideas exhuasted, I went back to the BIOS and switched back into RAID mode instead of AHCI, booted, it obviously couldn't find the disk, and I went back into AHCI after that and NOW it's working. Thank you for your help!

12 hours ago, Zach99 said:

Well, I think my frustration solved the issue. With my ideas exhuasted, I went back to the BIOS and switched back into RAID mode instead of AHCI, booted, it obviously couldn't find the disk, and I went back into AHCI after that and NOW it's working. Thank you for your help!

Oh, awesome! No problem! Glad you figured it out!