MySQL Workbench "Failed to connect"?

SoftwareNinja

Hey there, so I am new to SQL and wondering why my connection failed when testing?

This is the message that popped up while testing:

sql fail.PNG

Are you attempting to use SQL or MySQL? In your description, you reference trying to connect to a SQL server, but the app you're using is for MySQL, and they are not the same thing.

˙ǝɯᴉʇ ɹnoʎ ƃuᴉʇsɐʍ ǝɹɐ noʎ 'sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ oʇ ƃuᴉʎɹʇ ǝɹɐ noʎ ɟI

To be clear....are you running a MySQL server in your PC?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

1 minute ago, dannytech357 said:

Are you attempting to use SQL or MySQL? In your description, you reference trying to connect to a SQL server, but the app you're using is for MySQL, and they are not the same thing.

I'm completely new to MySQL, SQL. Literally I have no fucking idea what I'm doing but trying to learn!

2 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

To be clear....are you running a MySQL server in your PC?

I have no clue what I am doing man, if you can point me in the right direction please do.

If you want to use SQL, download SQL Server, and that's pretty much all you need to be able to learn SQL, if you want to learn MySQL (which is generally used in things like web applications and such), download MySQL, and use a MySQL client like the one in the picture you posted.

Just now, dannytech357 said:

If you want to use SQL, download SQL Server, and that's pretty much all you need to be able to learn SQL, if you want to learn MySQL (which is generally used in things like web applications and such), download MySQL, and use a MySQL client like the one in the picture you posted.

Which would be best creating game Login Data bases?

Up to you, they are both performant, and it really depends on what you're writing the backend in. If you are using something like PHP, go with MySQL, or if you're using a .NET backend like with C#, use SQL.

If you're new to SQL, you could try using SQLite. It simply reads/writes using a file and doesn't require an extra process to be running like other databases do. If you don't expect for the database to have a heavy load, you probably don't need a big database like MySQL.

Many programming languages have support for SQLite built in. Python, for example, has it built in so you don't need to install anything extra. PHP does as well.