What is wrong with this build?

I am new to water cooling, and have noticed that water cooling kits start around $200. However, I can make one myself for $80. What is wrong with this?

saved.png

It's a really stupid idea, to be blunt. You're muuuuuuuuch better off buying things that are made for your hardware than trying to DIY it especially because it's your first time. Something will go wrong, everything will break, and you'll be sad.

Vinyl tuning will degrade when you run the biocides and anti corrosives with the water.

Not running the biocides will enable microorganism growths to develop much faster.

Most cheap pumps die rather quick compared to a D5 or DDC (Basically, what every major water cooling company sells if they have pumps or pump/res combos).

Aluminum wears down fast, ionizing the fluid (you want to run distilled water with the two chemicals mentioned earlier), and making a leak potentially catastrophic faster than if you were to run copper (either nickel plated or not).

I'd recommend one of EK's expandable AiO if you want everything on one loop at some point in that loop's lifetime (preferably 360mm).

Otherwise, I'd recommend a 240mm AiO and a GPU with a 120mm loop already built in (Either EVGA's FTW Hybrid line, or MSI's Seahawk X line).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

It's a really stupid idea, to be blunt. You're muuuuuuuuch better off buying things that are made for your hardware than trying to DIY it especially because it's your first time. Something will go wrong, everything will break, and you'll be sad.

What justifies the higher cost of the kits? Also, the community doesn't really seem to have any sub $150 recommendations for a loop. Why? :P

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Vinyl tuning will degrade when you run the biocides and anti corrosives with the water.

Not running the biocides will enable microorganism growths to develop much faster.

Most cheap pumps die rather quick compared to a D5 or DDC (Basically, what every major water cooling company sells if they have pumps or pump/res combos).

Aluminum wears down fast, ionizing the fluid (you want to run distilled water with the two chemicals mentioned earlier), and making a leak potentially catastrophic faster than if you were to run copper (either nickel plated or not).

I'd recommend one of EK's expandable AiO if you want everything on one loop at some point in that loop's lifetime (preferably 360mm).

Otherwise, I'd recommend a 240mm AiO and a GPU with a 120mm loop already built in (Either EVGA's FTW Hybrid line, or MSI's Seahawk X line).

Say I went with better tubing: $5 more,

and copper waterblocks: $30 more

Am i set?

14 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

I am new to water cooling, and have noticed that water cooling kits start around $200. However, I can make one myself for $80. What is wrong with this?

saved.png

Brian over at Tech City did a video on realy cheap watorcooling. One of his conclusions is that you just can't cheap out on the CPU block.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, ShadySocks said:

Am i set?

Could even go with the cheapest tubing, but the block is important.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Why buy cheap stuff when you're using water around electricity?

Doesn't seem like a smart idea.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, ShadySocks said:

Am i set?

Not really.

The biggest reasons there are custom loop kits is to make sure all components are of good quality, and to make sure the person building the loop doesn't forget anything (mainly fittings).

Honestly, at that price range, an AiO from Corsair, Cooler Master, or any other reputable brand would do better.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Not really.

The biggest reasons there are custom loop kits is to make sure all components are of good quality, and to make sure the person building the loop doesn't forget anything (mainly fittings).

Honestly, at that price range, an AiO from Corsair, Cooler Master, or any other reputable brand would do better.

Of course the $400 kits are better... And getting a hyper 212 evo would probably be much better than the AiOs

Omfg...

Stingy pays twice.

Listen, if you wanna loose your money - buy this shit. If you came here to get an advice - don't do it. Save for good ekwb parts and get them. It will serve your years and will be suitable for many future builds.

edit: typo

8 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

What justifies the higher cost of the kits? Also, the community doesn't really seem to have any sub $150 recommendations for a loop. Why? :P

You get what you pay for, cheap stuff is cheap garbage. Kits that are made for specific hardware are meant to work with them and be less prone to leaking.

5 minutes ago, paprikman said:

Omfg...

Stingy pays twice.

Listen, if you wanna loose your money - buy this shit. If you came here to get an advice - don't do it. Save for good ekwb parts and get them. It will serve your years and will be suitable for many future builds.

edit: typo

You are probably right... However the price for these components is a bit insane compared to the cheaper ones.

2 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

You are probably right... However the price for these components is a bit insane compared to the cheaper ones.

As many people here said it right, the tubes will degrade in 1-1.5 years, so the block will. Ekwb components server people for years and years (if you're maintaining your loop right).

I was saving for my first wc loop for like 3-4 years, but when everything was set up - this was an orgasm.

2 minutes ago, paprikman said:

As many people here said it right, the tubes will degrade in 1-1.5 years, so the block will. Ekwb components server people for years and years (if you're maintaining your loop right).

I was saving for my first wc loop for like 3-4 years, but when everything was set up - this was an orgasm.

I am fairly budget-limited so I will probably go with a hyper 212 though :(

13 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

Of course the $400 kits are better... And getting a hyper 212 evo would probably be much better than the AiOs

A hyper 212 Evo could crap itself if ran in my system. A H100i V2 handles it competently, but I'm considering the jump to a full custom loop revolving around a 360mm and 240mm rad, and including my 1070 in it.

AiO are good for those wanting some overclocking head room, but also value price/performance.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

A hyper 212 Evo could crap itself if ran in my system. A H100i V2 handles it competently, but I'm considering the jump to a full custom loop revolving around a 360mm and 240mm rad, and including my 1070 in it.

AiO are good for those wanting some overclocking head room, but also value price/performance.

Hyper 212 probably wins by value right?

10 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

Hyper 212 probably wins by value right?

Eh, price to performance of what was listed. Yes.

Absolute performance. Nope

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Absolute performance. Nope

-_- then the liquid nitrogen loop wins...