Sony A6000 or Canon EOS 750D

iM8Pizza

with all honesty, I don't really know which one is better compared to others, since I haven't try them myself, and I'm still getting into photography so what I think wouldn't really matter that much compared to the ones that have experience.

they're both at around the same price point, but I'm leaning more towards the 750D since Canon lenses are... cheaper compared to sony's, and more battery life (?) (correct me if I'm wrong in any of these that I said)

5 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

with all honesty, I don't really know which one is better compared to others, since I haven't try them myself, and I'm still getting into photography so what I think wouldn't really matter that much compared to the ones that have experience.

they're both at around the same price point, but I'm leaning more towards the 750D since Canon lenses are... cheaper compared to sony's, and more battery life (?) (correct me if I'm wrong in any of these that I said)

DSLR batteries do generally have a better life than Mirrorless camera batteries due to their size but Sony lets you use a USB power bank to power some of their cameras.  You can look at the tech specs on paper and get an idea of what each offers, but you will also have to see the cameras for yourself and decide whether you prefer EVF or OVF, the ergonomics, the handling of the camera, etc.

You can also mount Canon lenses on a Sony E-mount body, lens adapters come in a variety of price ranges and capabilities but not all of them are reliable.

If it's just for photography, buy the camera that you feel comfortable with.  Bad cameras are rare, bad photographers are plentiful.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

5 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

DSLR batteries do generally have a better life than Mirrorless camera batteries due to their size but Sony lets you use a USB power bank to power some of their cameras.  You can look at the tech specs on paper and get an idea of what each offers, but you will also have to see the cameras for yourself and decide whether you prefer EVF or OVF, the ergonomics, the handling of the camera, etc.

You can also mount Canon lenses on a Sony E-mount body, lens adapters come in a variety of price ranges and capabilities but not all of them are reliable.

If it's just for photography, buy the camera that you feel comfortable with.  Bad cameras are rare, bad photographers are plentiful.

what are the cons and pros for each (EVF and OVF)? *I will google it of course, but I'd like to know from you as well, if it's not bothersome.

Would I need lens adapter for it though? to mount Canon lenses on a sony E-Mount.

1 minute ago, iM8Pizza said:

what are the cons and pros for each (EVF and OVF)? *I will google it of course, but I'd like to know from you as well, if it's not bothersome.

Would I need lens adapter for it though? to mount Canon lenses on a sony E-Mount.

Yes you will need a lens adapter, a Canon EF to Sony E-mount adapter.  There are non electronic (dumb) adapters which means you will have to work with manual focus, aperture and zoom and electronic (smart) adapters which lets you control some if not all of the lens functions.  However not all electronic adapters are 100% reliable, some have their "quirks" and they can also be as expensive as buying a new entry level camera.

OVF vs EVF discussions (I don't have the time to write out a long post right now, will write one later so for the moment I will leave you with some people discussing them).

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54367590

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2016/11/ovf-vs-evf.html

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00cG9m

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Well I own the Sony a6000 and a6300 and love both cameras. Espically how portably they can be so if you want to travel light and don't plan on buying a lot of lenses the Sony I feel is good for that. I also personally like songs sensor better too. It has more dynamic range then the canon. But as far as lens adapters go I personally would only get the metabones adapters because I don't want to fuss with focusing myself all the time. That being said the Sony lenses are expensive as all hell and my bank account is proof of that. I think for anyone getting into Sony the 18-105 and 50mm 1.8 are really the only lenses you neee and mostly what I use. Those will cover you for about anything you want to do. If you have some cash to layout the metabones speedboster is really cool to use with canon full frame glass on song body's. If allows a crop body to get the same look as a full frame camera. All in all I'm personally really happy with Sony, but if you think cost and durability is ever and issue get the canon. I only sag durability because while the Sony is build great my old Nikon 5200 I feel can really take a beating better. I say all this because I do a lot of shots by the beach and constantly battening sand and water. But for ur average shooter the sonys are great.

18 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

Well I own the Sony a6000 and a6300 and love both cameras. Espically how portably they can be so if you want to travel light and don't plan on buying a lot of lenses the Sony I feel is good for that. I also personally like songs sensor better too. It has more dynamic range then the canon. But as far as lens adapters go I personally would only get the metabones adapters because I don't want to fuss with focusing myself all the time. That being said the Sony lenses are expensive as all hell and my bank account is proof of that. I think for anyone getting into Sony the 18-105 and 50mm 1.8 are really the only lenses you neee and mostly what I use. Those will cover you for about anything you want to do. If you have some cash to layout the metabones speedboster is really cool to use with canon full frame glass on song body's. If allows a crop body to get the same look as a full frame camera. All in all I'm personally really happy with Sony, but if you think cost and durability is ever and issue get the canon. I only sag durability because while the Sony is build great my old Nikon 5200 I feel can really take a beating better. I say all this because I do a lot of shots by the beach and constantly battening sand and water. But for ur average shooter the sonys are great.

Metabones electronic adapters are generally pretty good and if any bugs are found they usually try to fix it with firmware updates.  But the price of those adapters... about the same price as an entry level camera or decent lens.  Or maybe you have the non-speedbooster version, just a metal ring with the chip, no lens inside.

Yeah the speed booster one is crazy. I think it's going for like $650. The regular one I think is still like $400. Defiantly very costly to get. lol Sony is just so dam expensive.

6 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

Yeah the speed booster one is crazy. I think it's going for like $650. The regular one I think is still like $400. Defiantly very costly to get. lol Sony is just so dam expensive.

Well $400 can almost get you a Nikon D3300 with 18-55 kit lens...

59 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Well $400 can almost get you a Nikon D3300 with 18-55 kit lens...

I feel that the metabones adapter are more suited for pros or people already owning something like the A7r ii or the A7s ii that probably can cash out the money and wants to use special canon lenses that still doesn't exist for sony I guess. For 400US you can get a decent lens for Sony E tbh. For FE it will cost slight more

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

well in terms of speed boosters they are great to have in areas where you want a really low f-stop.  An f2.8 on crop isn't really an f2.8 so you wanted a gear lens and low f-stop then it's handy. So really handy for portrait shooters I'd say. 

@AkiraDaarkst @thekillergazebo @xQubeZx, reading all of your reply here make me want to get the 750D(T6i) instead, just because seeing that adapter cost quite wowed me. are there any other things to think about between these two? other than the things that are already said here of course. and regarding editing application, are there any application similar to Lightroom that are free such as GIMP. And.... any other things I should look for? say... something that will make my life easier (in this regard), tips?

7 minutes ago, iM8Pizza said:

@AkiraDaarkst @thekillergazebo @xQubeZx, reading all of your reply here make me want to get the 750D(T6i) instead, just because seeing that adapter cost quite wowed me. are there any other things to think about between these two? other than the things that are already said here of course. and regarding editing application, are there any application similar to Lightroom that are free such as GIMP. And.... any other things I should look for? say... something that will make my life easier (in this regard), tips?

Well the most abvious difference will be size. Other small things I can come up with are these: 

-The A6000 is probably slightly better for sports as AF seems very similar but it shoots at 10fps instead of 5 of the 750D

- As said the size of the body

- An proper Viewfinder vs an electronical viewfinder

- More lens options on Canon vs Sony (sonys are good but they cost a lot more than their canon couterparts often) 

- The 750D has a small amount more crop, it has a 1.6x vs sonys 1.5x may not be a big deal but it means you will need slightly wider lenses to get the same FOV

Really there is mainly a lot of suddle differences so I would go to a store and compare the feel of them both in person side by side. 

As for editing software I'm not sure. However you can get the adobe photography plan with Lightroom and Photoshop for a 100€ a year which is a very good deal imo. (You get all the latest updates and bug fixes and you can install it on two devices, your main rig at home and a separate laptop for example.) One of my favorite things of Lightroom is also the library so you can keep track and easily organise all images. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

3 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

2 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

Well the most abvious difference will be size. Other small things I can come up with are these: 

-The A6000 is probably slightly better for sports as AF seems very similar but it shoots at 10fps instead of 5 of the 750D

- As said the size of the body

- An proper Viewfinder vs an electronical viewfinder

- More lens options on Canon vs Sony (sonys are good but they cost a lot more than their canon couterparts often) 

- The 750D has a small amount more crop, it has a 1.6x vs sonys 1.5x may not be a big deal but it means you will need slightly wider lenses to get the same FOV

Really there is mainly a lot of subtle differences so I would go to a store and compare the feel of them both in person side by side. 

As for editing software I'm not sure. However you can get the adobe photography plan with Lightroom and Photoshop for a 100€ a year which is a very good deal imo. (You get all the latest updates and bug fixes and you can install it on two devices, your main rig at home and a separate laptop for example.) One of my favorite things of Lightroom is also the library so you can keep track and easily organise all images. 

Basically what he said.  In the end, for a beginner I say it is mainly a matter of preference and budget.

Lightroom also makes publishing to services like Flickr very easy.  And you can tag photos and add keywords.

Yeah I would agree with the above two. Both are great cameras for people getting into photography. Really no matter what you get just enjoy it and try to be creative. Any camera you buy will get you great results so long as your willing to experiment a little. It's really hard to find a bad camera. Also check out Matt granger budget photography YouTube videos. He's using a camera I think he got for $100 and turns out cool shots. 

44 minutes ago, iM8Pizza said:

@AkiraDaarkst @thekillergazebo @xQubeZx  ah right, now that gazebo says it, are there any Photography youtubers that you guys might reccommend? other than what mr.doge said.

Here are a few online resources I recommend.

1 hour ago, thekillergazebo said:

It's really hard to find a bad camera.

In my experience, I've found a lot more bad photographers than bad cameras. :ph34r:

49 minutes ago, iM8Pizza said:

OH and one very very important tip: Follow the KISS rule as a beginner.  Keep It Simple, Stupid.

An alternative to Lightroom, but that is free, is Rawtherapee.

I haven't tried Lightroom, but I have heard some people say Rawtherapee have more things and therefore more complicated, but that those thing isn't really needed.

I still only use the basic things in Rawtherapee and try to learn that.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking