Fyfey96

How did you learn C#  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How did you mainly learn C#

• Book
    • Vidoes
    • College/School

Hello, 

I've learned a bit of c#. I know how programming works so basically anytime ive wanted to code something ive just googled How to do it using C# if that makes sense. Ie. I know the logic behind it but just need to get the syntax correct. I learned a bit by doing that and done a bit of a book and some videos. I was wondering how you learned C# no matter how good your knowladge is. Im not sure if id be best with a book and if so what kind of book? An example book or a reference book ect?

Learned in university. Can't say what would be the best way to learn it. But one thing I know that works for sure - code code code and code again .

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Unity docs, and tutorials. 

13 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

Learned in university. Can't say what would be the best way to learn it. But one thing I know that works for sure - code code code and code again .

Yea, ive been doing small projects here and there but i dont think my code is very efficient and its messy. so i maybe need some examples.

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

Unity docs, and tutorials. 

Yea, Ive started using unity and ive ordered a book thats meant to be really good. Done some tutorials on there website too.

When you are coding and want it to be efficient, always try to think like a computer.

• Do I need to reuse this method result - should I store it or not?
  • Is there maybe a better way to calculate something? Especially if it's in a loop
  • Do I need to recalculate something in every iteration or is every e.g. 5th okay? (Google "modulo")

Also, you should learn some theoretical stuff, for example the Bachmann-Landau notation and it's meanings. I think there are good YouTube videos on this topic.

Almost every modern compiler has code optimization, which will make your program more efficient by itself, but good programming is always the best.

I think, C# is excellent for "learning by doing". Just set yourself a task and if you are stuck at some point, just google how to do it.

31 minutes ago, Fyfey96 said:

Hello, 

I've learned a bit of c#. I know how programming works so basically anytime ive wanted to code something ive just googled How to do it using C# if that makes sense. Ie. I know the logic behind it but just need to get the syntax correct. I learned a bit by doing that and done a bit of a book and some videos. I was wondering how you learned C# no matter how good your knowladge is. Im not sure if id be best with a book and if so what kind of book? An example book or a reference book ect?

Barnacules Nerdgasm. After his short series I taught myself.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Derek's video:

Practice helps you remember stuff :)

41 minutes ago, Gachr said:

Derek's video:

Practice helps you remember stuff :)

I was going to watch this, but never got back to it. is it good?

I first started with a book from Microsoft Press, their C# book.

Then I got some tutorials on udemy for making Unity games. I think right now I might get a pluralsight subscription because I really like their programming videos.

11 minutes ago, Fyfey96 said:

I was going to watch this, but never got back to it. is it good?

Yeah, if you are already a programmer, it's a good and quick revision.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I learned it in school, in a class called "Windows Programming."

Picked it up almost immediately. Best class ever. :3

I only done a little visual basic in school and I loved it but it was a bit simple

Where's the button for showing up at work and being told "Hey, we need you to help out on this other project for awhile...".

20 hours ago, Yamoto42 said:

Where's the button for showing up at work and being told "Hey, we need you to help out on this other project for awhile...".

Haha! Well thats what got me back into it recently had an idea for something i could do at work

On 14/12/2016 at 11:19 AM, Fyfey96 said:

Im not sure if id be best with a book and if so what kind of book? An example book or a reference book ect?

I say this quite a lot in response to such questions; the idea of a book or in other words a static slice of information that by it's very nature is in a constant state of evolution and change is absolutely ludicrous... Really think about it, given the rate of progress that current industry is experiencing does it really make any sense whatsoever to covet a frozen portion of that information - which will quickly become obsolete?

In my opinion you should do what @madknight3 has suggested.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

for me, I got smacked in the face with it when a professor decided that it would be a good idea that the practice part for his class was to create a learning algorithm and illustrate its progress through Unity.

I think it was at that point when I realized that every programming language is basically the same and I could program in anything I wanted

The best way to measure the quality of a piece of code is "Oh F*** "s per line

I literally got the book smacked along side my head... Still haven't finished learning the basics of c# since a tutor pissed me off and I switched fully to doing networking.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

• 4 weeks later...

Mostly videos on YouTube and answers to specific questions in the beginning. Also working with winForms was big for me as it's a great way of making stuff happen. And asking for help is important, a lot of people want to share their knowledge.

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:35 PM, Yamoto42 said:

You can program right?

well yeah?

Do you know c#

Well...

See I knew you would go help out with this

But I...

look right I'm kinda busy and we need this done asap.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

18 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

You can program right?

well yeah?

Do you know c#

Well...

See I knew you would go help out with this

But I...

look right I'm kinda busy and we need this done asap.

And that children is how abortions are born :P

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

• 2 weeks later...

I learnt C# at university. We used a really good book called "Pro C# 2008 and the .NET 3.5 Platform", which teaches C# and the .NET Framework without trying to teach basic programming concepts that you'd already know if you've used any other programming language before. This was back in 2009 though. There's a newer version by the same author ("C# 6.0 and the .NET 4.6 Framework"), I'd highly recommend it if you've already got prior programming experience. If you're totally new to programming, you might want to look at a simpler book aimed at beginners :)

If you're interested in web development, I'd suggest reading some online tutorials for ASP.NET Core as well. The framework is still pretty new so there's not any good books on it yet, there's books on older versions of the ASP.NET MVC framework though, and a lot of the core concepts still apply.

Started in university but mostly learned from video tutorials.

If you're not already doing it I suggest you start participating in peer reviews. It greatly increases exposure and a lot of people give experienced input about coding efficiency (using places like codereview.stackexchange for example)