The Skyrim Special Edition (SSE) Thread

Albatross

header.jpg?t=1481040018

A thread for all things Skyrim: Special Edition related. Discuss the game, characters, story, bugs, patches, mods or post questions, screenshots etc etc. If you are looking to discuss the older version of the game, please head over to the correct thread. You may find the link in this post at the end, under "links".

About the Game:

Skyrim is set around 200 years after the events of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, although it is not a direct sequel. The game takes place in Skyrim, a province of the Empire on the continent of Tamriel, amid a civil war between two factions: the Stormcloaks and the Imperial Legion. The player character is a Dragonborn, a mortal born with the soul and power of a dragon. Alduin, a large black dragon who returns to the land after being lost in time, serves as the game's primary antagonist. Alduin is the Nordic god of destruction and the first dragon; he is prophesied to destroy man and consume the world.

System Recommendations:

• Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel i5-750/AMD Phenom II X4-945
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 470 1GB /AMD HD 7870 2GB
    • Storage: 12 GB available space
  • Recommended:
    • Processor: Intel i5-2400/AMD FX-8320
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB /AMD R9 290 4GB
    • Storage: 12 GB available space

Links:

Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/489830/
Official Website: https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/skyrim/order

Nexus Mods: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/?
Oldrim Thread:  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/276239-the-skyrim-original-dx9-thread/  (the thread for the Old Version of Skyrim)

Other Links:

Starter Mod Guide: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2846/?  http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2846/?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I haven't played it yet..

Skyrim runs poor on my machine. :/ 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I have the Legendary Edition and haven't gotten the SSE because I'm afraid it might fuck with all my mods. Are my concerns unfounded?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

I have the Legendary Edition and haven't gotten the SSE because I'm afraid it might fuck with all my mods. Are my concerns unfounded?

As far as I can tell, many mods require their SSE version. There are still some that will work fine or with some manual editing. The good part is that if you have Legendary and SSE, they will install separately and come up as separate games. So your modded Oldrim will be just fine so long as you don't touch it. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Just now, CoolJ S.A.S. said:

Yes and no.

It doesn't touch your actual mods, it's a whole other game.

Any modded save will be messed up, honestly, you should expect issues EVEN WITH older saves WITHOUT mods, because of the way the game handles references and saves (you'll most likely be fine though). If you are going to mod an old save, that has never seen mods, you will probably have issues then.

You will need to re-download your mods on the SE version of the site, or convert them over yourself.

Cool thanks.

And also, does it run at more than 60fps? I know the old Skyrim is capped at 60

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

Cool thanks.

According to some users and threads (at Steam for example) yes it will run beyond that, but there are still physics problems.

1 minute ago, Albatross said:

According to some users and threads (at Steam for example) yes it will run beyond that, but there are still physics problems.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Cool thanks.

17 minutes ago, Albatross said:

They were supposed to have added support for high refresh rate monitors. That being said, your max FPS is dictated through the built in VSync so unless you have a high refresh rate monitor you will have physics issues if you try to remove the cap.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

They were supposed to have added support for high refresh rate monitors. That being said, your max FPS is dictated through the built in VSync so unless you have a high refresh rate monitor you will have physics issues if you try to remove the cap.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

Gold-headed

golden-headed-manakin.jpg

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

Ooops! It was brought to my attention I dun goofed on the spec requirements part. I have now fixed it so it shows the SE requirements. :)

Why after the patch that let the game run at 144hz is it back to 60hz with screentearing on a gsync monitor ?

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

57 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Why after the patch that let the game run at 144hz is it back to 60hz with screentearing on a gsync monitor ?

The "144hz support" patch just added a 60fps cap, rather than relying on V-Sync which could cap it higher than 60 if the monitors refresh rate was >60.

You can cap it with Nvidia Inspector/ENB at higher than 60, but anything higher than about 90fps and the engine will not play nice, there will be physics bugs everywhere. Its a limitation of the engine, which ties physics calculations and script execution to framerate.

I've heard rumours that Bethesda are moving to (or want to move to) a new engine for the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, although I have no idea if its true. If it is, hopefully there wont be this same limitation.

4 minutes ago, Eztrcfyu said:

The "144hz support" patch just added a 60fps cap, rather than relying on V-Sync which could cap it higher than 60 if the monitors refresh rate was >60.

You can cap it with Nvidia Inspector/ENB at higher than 60, but anything higher than about 90fps and the engine will not play nice, there will be physics bugs everywhere. Its a limitation of the engine, which ties physics calculations and script execution to framerate.

I've heard rumours that Bethesda are moving to (or want to move to) a new engine for the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, although I have no idea if its true. If it is, hopefully there wont be this same limitation.

So why was it working and now it isn't 

also (1600) 

G-Sync? No idea, I don't have a G-Sync monitor so I didn't experience any change. I believe there was a new config setting added, for the framerate cap, that may have automatically capped you at 60 when you updated.

Add bLockFramerate=0 to the Display section in Skyrim.ini (under Documents/my games/Skyrim Special Edition), that should remove the cap added in the update.

4 minutes ago, Eztrcfyu said:

G-Sync? No idea, I don't have a G-Sync monitor so I didn't experience any change. I believe there was a new config setting added, for the framerate cap, that may have automatically capped you at 60 when you updated.

Add bLockFramerate=0 to the Display section in Skyrim.ini (under Documents/my games/Skyrim Special Edition), that should remove the cap added in the update.

Ty

also (1600) 

If you are new to modding, or want to try modding SSE, I suggest following this guide. It's all recommendations of course, but it is a good overall way to start and gives you info on fixing some of the more populated mods to work with SSE.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2846/?

I have added it to the main post too, for convenience. If I ever get time, I'll make a list of "recommended mods" gathered around the interwebs and put it in the main post as well. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking for some help with this enb, http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1089/?

I'm pretty new to mods/modding and am unsure about installing this.

What I have so far is,

A Quality World Map

SMIM

Total character makeover

USSEP

Vivid Weathers

Bethini

I have installed SkyrimSE Re-Engaged V3.6b (ReShade Only) and this leads to my question, how do I now install the enb? Do I need to uninstall the reshade and then install the enb or will installing the enb just overwrite what I already have with the reshade?

It is quite more stable. I attribute this not only to the better, 64bit engine but also the fact that Skyrim Scrip Extender has not been released yet and thus many mods are not as dependent on it: I believe that made Oldrim way more unstable simply because several modes that are cool additions and such would use far too much scripting and create save game issues and such (on the old game I usually started with a new character at around level 35 to 40 because the saves would become so unstable it would crash constantly yet a new game, without as many mod loose scripts floating around would behave much better)

There's a few things that I miss like the wardrobe changes thanks to SkyUI and it's lists of favorites and hotkeys but if it means the game runs better, looks better out of the gate and it doesn't becomes unstable to look relatively good, I see no reason to go back to the older version. Most of the more "important" or "best" mods are already on the new version at this point anyways.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The link to Oldrim thread has been fixed. It now works! I have no idea what went wrong but sorry it's been broken this entire time.

@MoonSpot

I use MO for SSE before I quit the game. It worked just fine then and it should still be good to use.

On 1/21/2017 at 7:55 PM, Gammagoat said:

Looking for some help with this enb, http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1089/?

I'm pretty new to mods/modding and am unsure about installing this.

What I have so far is,

A Quality World Map

SMIM

Total character makeover

USSEP

Vivid Weathers

Bethini

I have installed SkyrimSE Re-Engaged V3.6b (ReShade Only) and this leads to my question, how do I now install the enb? Do I need to uninstall the reshade and then install the enb or will installing the enb just overwrite what I already have with the reshade?

Here is a video showing how to properly install the file. :)

• 1 month later...

Bijin Warmaidens SE by rxkx22

[@Slick still would like an embedded audio player for the forums, ya know if/when you can]

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/4/48/FF8_Victory_(Fanfare).ogg/revision/latest?cb=20091114173015

[/ @colonel_mortis still would like an embedded audio player for the forums, ya know if/when you can]

• 9 months later...

Well, I'm giving modding SSE a go after having ignored it till now.  Also using the new NMM to see how its working now, don't think MO2 is up and running so much at the moment. 

Anyhow, just starting to dive into it, so I'm fairly green to any and all of the in's and out's for modding SSE.

Just saw Eli's Breezehome for SSE, got to the part where she starts dropping a truck load of the unique collectable items, and it re-lit that "need to mod Skyrim" fire within me.  That and I'm pretty snowed in cause winter hit Ontario and going outside is just Bullshit now with the snow, the cold, the wet, the shoveling and all that other winter garbage; so that means there be a whole lot of Skyriming to do for this hibernating season!

(Should be time stamped, if not then 6min:46sec is where I wanted to start the highlight off)

If anyone has been modding the snot out of SSE and would like to drop some pointers/tidbits, I'm all ears...or eyes rather.

Finding this resource a good place to start for me.  Lists mods I am familiar with from OldRim and whether or not they've been ported/redone.

SSE Mods compatibility(LL link kiddies go away)

Gutted at some of the ones that aren't yet up and running, but also surprised by how many have been done.  Does seem like there are those improving SSE selections at a fever pitch, so I'm more hopeful that it'll get to the point OldRim got to (mind-blowingly massive scope for user customization).

So far I am liking how much better the game engine performs in DX11, but haven't come anywhere near putting in the time needed to make that claim in a permanent way.  Time will tell.