TFW you don't expect to win both auctions, but you might

Lord Nicoll

Ugh, needed a decently powerful single slot video card, wanted it cheap, so I went to ebay and fired off bids for a Firepro V7900 and Firepro V5900, I'd much rather the V7900 as currently it costs less, but there is no bidding on the V5900 (it is however early days). I hope I don't end up with both of them. I'll still a find a use for them, but that would be a bigger dint in my budget for my PC upgrade after xmas. I want that V7900 more so I might have to bid even more too. 

2016-12-13 (3).png

Yours faithfully

You know that bidding on an item via eBay counts as a binding contract to purchase it, right?

NEVER bid on multiple items unless you intend on buying them all. If you win both, the seller (either seller) does not have to refund you, if you decide you don't want them both.

Hopefully someone will outbid you on one of the items, or you can put both to use.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

You know that bidding on an item via eBay counts as a binding contract to purchase it, right?

NEVER bid on multiple items unless you intend on buying them all. If you win both, the seller (either seller) does not have to refund you, if you decide you don't want them both.

Hopefully someone will outbid you on one of the items, or you can put both to use.

Yeah, there are more than enough work stations that could use an extra GPU, but I ain't taking risks on them swimming away I need it a lot more than the risk of ending up with two

Yours faithfully

3 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

-snip-

Ah, too bad you're in Europe...I upgraded and I literally have two FirePro V7900s on my shelf and no idea what to do with them.

The V7900 is pretty old at this point though, surprised you want them.

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

Ah, too bad you're in Europe...I upgraded and I literally have two FirePro V7900s on my shelf and no idea what to do with them.

Cheap and more powerful than the GT 610 that was just a display adaptor that ended up being used for CUDA. They're good for, in this case, U1 rack chassis. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Cheap and more powerful than the GT 610 that was just a display adaptor that ended up being used for CUDA. They're good for, in this case, U1 rack chassis. 

Ah, I see. Yeah, for me, I wanted to play some games and yeah, the FirePro was struggling. Recent gaming GPUs have pretty good driver support for the programs I use as well. I would not try to exceeed more than $100USD for a FirePro V7900...I see them selling for $90-100 here on ebay in the US.

18 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

you know, it doesn't automatically charge you when you win a bidding war. You pick whether you want to pay or not. That's why most auctioneers say that they "won't ship until you confirm payment." If you win and you didn't want to pay, you could just not pay and the seller will have to re-list it. It's a dick move, sure, but you're not signing any contracts. You won't be sued, but you might get a negative review.

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, scottyseng said:

Ah, I see. Yeah, for me, I wanted to play some games and yeah, the FirePro was struggling. Recent gaming GPUs have pretty good driver support for the programs I use as well. I would not try to exceeed more than $100USD for a FirePro V7900...I see them selling for $90-100 here on ebay in the US.

Much larger market, lower prices anyways too. For the AMD side only Firepros will work due to the use of Linux, although the Firepro drives aren't probably that much better, The Radeon drivers are just pure congealed shit. Nvidia are OK but both teams drivers are a good bit from the Windows ones/ 

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

you know, it doesn't automatically charge you when you win a bidding war. You pick whether you want to pay or not. That's why most auctioneers say that they "won't ship until you confirm payment." If you win and you didn't want to pay, you could just not pay and the seller will have to re-list it. It's a dick move, sure, but you're not signing any contracts. You won't be sued, but you might get a negative review.

I would like to keep my 100% positive rating for a little bit longer lol. 

Yours faithfully

4 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

You should find a cheap rack server, max it out to a reasonable state and sell it, a good way to use older parts, servers go for a lot more than even server parts used in normal desktops.

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Much larger market, lower prices anyways too. For the AMD side only Firepros will work due to the use of Linux, although the Firepro drives aren't probably that much better, The Radeon drivers are just pure congealed shit. Nvidia are OK but both teams drivers are a good bit from the Windows ones/ 

Yeah, the reason I bought the FirePros to begin with was because back in 2012, I had a Radeon 4850. The drivers somehow caused Revit to show things that weren't there, like walls going through the roof, and a lot of missing textures. I went for Nvidia gaming GPUs for the CUDA rendering abilities.

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

You should find a cheap rack server, max it out to a reasonable state and sell it, a good way to use older parts, servers go for a lot more than even server parts used in normal desktops.

Ah, that's a bit of headache trying to manage shipping costs. I might try my luck at selling both on ebay some day. At least get something back from them.

6 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, the reason I bought the FirePros to begin with was because back in 2012, I had a Radeon 4850. The drivers somehow caused Revit to show things that weren't there, like walls going through the roof, and a lot of missing textures. I went for Nvidia gaming GPUs for the CUDA rendering abilities.

Ah, that's a bit of headache trying to manage shipping costs. I might try my luck at selling both on ebay some day. At least get something back from them.

My experience with drivers though, so AMD do care more, but they don't always know how to or can make them better, but Nvidia is usually more consistently flat, but obviously there is always outliers. 

Yours faithfully

13 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Obviously you need to confirm shipping address and payment selection after the auction wins. But by bidding on the auction, you're essentially committing to purchase the item at the price that matches the bid you made.

Sure, you can just not pay, but the seller then has to submit a "Buyer didn't pay" report on you (He can just cancel the bid, but he will lose out on fees if he does - by reporting the buyer, he'll get a refund on the fees), plus that process can take several days sometimes.

It is definitely a Dick Move, and will definitely earn you negative feedback at best. At worst, eBay could straight up suspend your account.

So yeah, while he can technically get out of a bid (And if you ask nicely, some sellers will cancel it for you), but it's a hassle, and is not how you're supposed to use the system.

@Lord Nicoll glad that this won't be too big of a deal if you win both. Let us know how it goes!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Obviously you need to confirm shipping address and payment selection after the auction wins. But by bidding on the auction, you're essentially committing to purchase the item at the price that matches the bid you made.

Sure, you can just not pay, but the seller then has to submit a "Buyer didn't pay" report on you (He can just cancel the bid, but he will lose out on fees if he does - by reporting the buyer, he'll get a refund on the fees), plus that process can take several days sometimes.

It is definitely a Dick Move, and will definitely earn you negative feedback at best. At worst, eBay could straight up suspend your account.

So yeah, while he can technically get out of a bid (And if you ask nicely, some sellers will cancel it for you), but it's a hassle, and is not how you're supposed to use the system.

@Lord Nicoll glad that this won't be too big of a deal if you win both. Let us know how it goes!

Well the V7900 is ending in 14 minutes and it's still about €40 away from what I'm prepared to pay, so this might end up being cheaper than the lesser V5900 I am also bidding on, but the V5900 might be a better card for the server anyways. 

Yours faithfully

Won the V7900, end price was £72, or €85.98. I hoped it would remain at £66 but wishful thinking.

Yours faithfully

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2016 at 7:41 PM, dalekphalm said:

Well, I won both, and now have both here, Not bad GPUs for what I wanted but I had to move to VMware ESXi and a Windows VM as Linux did not want to use OpenCL on them. I wonder what the bigger dual slot version is like....

Yours faithfully

54 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Well, I won both, and now have both here, Not bad GPUs for what I wanted but I had to move to VMware ESXi and a Windows VM as Linux did not want to use OpenCL on them. I wonder what the bigger dual slot version is like....

Well, they're both based off the same chip, just one has like 1024 shaders disabled (V5900) and the other, only 256 :P (V7900)... Hmmm, create a zombie out of one and vmod the other to death? xD

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

11 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Well, they're both based off the same chip, just one has like 1024 shaders disabled (V5900) and the other, only 256 :P (V7900)... Hmmm, create a zombie out of one and vmod the other to death? xD

Yeah, not to mention the castrated clocks of the V5900 but it does run a lot cooler and less power draw which can often mean more in a server or work environment where time isn't an issue but the power bill is.

Yours faithfully

11 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

If you wanna be a real scumbag about it: create a fake account to outbid one of them and not ruin your main account's reputation.

Oh that is pretty bad....

Yours faithfully

4 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yeah, not to mention the castrated clocks of the V5900 but it does run a lot cooler and less power draw which can often mean more in a server or work environment where time isn't an issue but the power bill is.

Hmmm..

IMG_7644.JPG

Black PCB card in your case = V7900

Green PCB = VRMs from the V5900 :P

Hmm.. how about have both in your PC at the same time but just use one for 24/7 F@H?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

On 12/13/2016 at 11:18 AM, scottyseng said:

I must ask, how much would it be to purchase one from you? I'm currently looking into upgrading my own rig.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Hmmm..

IMG_7644.JPG

Black PCB card in your case = V7900

Green PCB = VRMs from the V5900 :P

Hmm.. how about have both in your PC at the same time but just use one for 24/7 F@H?

Well, one is in a U1 rack chassis being used for BOINC for SETI@home and the other (V5900) will be put into that server when I buy a U2 chassis with low power components and swap the CPU and GPU's arpound because the V7900 and dual X5670's run way tooooo hot in the U1 chassis form. I see someone knows how to do volt hacks, should I use my precision Rigol DC power supply and some LN2 off my friend in college (me and him, with his professor who hadn't done LN2 in over 10 years back "when I was a young happy fellow" as he put it, did some ivy bridge LN2 and basically damaged my board, but tt's OK replacement soon to Z170 for it, but got the chip to 6.3GHz) to torture the now not needed GT 610 to certain death? 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

I must ask, how much would it be to purchase one from you? I'm currently looking into upgrading my own rig.

I think shipping to mars for a V7900 would set you back a couple million at least.

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

I think shipping to mars for a V7900 would set you back a couple million at least.

That's why I gotta save every penny :)

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Well, one is in a U1 rack chassis being used for BOINC for SETI@home and the other (V5900) will be put into that server when I buy a U2 chassis with low power components and swap the CPU and GPU's arpound because the V7900 and dual X5670's run way tooooo hot in the U1 chassis form. I see someone knows how to do volt hacks, should I use my precision Rigol DC power supply and some LN2 off my friend in college (me and him, with his professor who hadn't done LN2 in over 10 years back "when I was a young happy fellow" as he put it, did some ivy bridge LN2 and basically damaged my board, but tt's OK replacement soon to Z170 for it, but got the chip to 6.3GHz) to torture the now not needed GT 610 to certain death? 

Yes, yes you should :D

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats