The Best 4:3 Displays?

I'm looking to use a bunch of 4:3 monitors to simply loop back old content from the toonami days to give an aesthetic to a room, kind of like Wendell has on the Tek with his looping he-man monitor. So, I was wondering, what were some of the better 4:3 monitors made? And where can I find them? I don't want tft, crappy viewing angles, bad contrast, I want the best 4:3s money can buy, within reason of course. I'm sure they still exist in surplus, right? If push comes to shove, I'll just buy a bunch of crappy surplus ones, but there must be some great 4:3s out there. Inject your knowledge into me, please.

Oh, also, were there any 4:3s made with 1080p in mind? I have a lot of shows I'd like to loop back on them in 1448 x 1080.

You mean 21:9, right?

Right??

Honestly though you really could get any old monitor and it would work. you don't need insane viewing angles.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I found an AOC one at work in the Dumpster.. it works.  Don't know much after that.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

7 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

You mean 21:9, right?

Right??

Honestly though you really could get any old monitor and it would work. you don't need insane viewing angles.

Are you suggesting I put two 4:3 loops in a 21:9 space? They'd fit if I downscaled them a little, I see your point, it definitely solves the quality problem. But maaan, 4:3s are so cheap and plentiful, I'm sure there exist a bunch of reasonable quality 4:3s that would solve this problem without me having to break the bank.

Just now, Piku-Chan said:

Are you suggesting I put two 4:3 loops in a 21:9 space? They'd fit if I downscaled them a little, I see your point, it definitely solves the quality problem. But maaan, 4:3s are so cheap and plentiful, I'm sure there exist a bunch of high quality 4:3s that would solve this problem without me having to break the bank.

Nah. I was just saying that 4:3 is such an archaic aspect ratio that nobody should buy a 4:3 monitor. but I understand what you're going for.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Nah. I was just saying that 4:3 is such an archaic aspect ratio that nobody should buy a 4:3 monitor. but I understand what you're going for.

Yeah it's just going to be a wall of such monitors. I just want something with better contrast than the tft business grade crap, that's all I can find. I don't know much about the era of tech when 4:3s were all the rage, so I'm wondering if anyone has the knowledge of the era to tell me what to look for.

IDEA:

Maybe just get some cheap tablet, and display the images on that. it would mean much thinner bezels, and no need for an display cable going to a separate box

it will most likely be 16:9 screen ratio, but it would be smaller, so maybe it could work

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, Piku-Chan said:

Yeah it's just going to be a wall of such monitors. I just want something with better contrast than the tft business grade crap, that's all I can find. I don't know much about the era of tech when 4:3s were all the rage, so I'm wondering if anyone has the knowledge of the era to tell me what to look for.

Unfortunately, I don't know where to get new, high quality 4:3 panels. it's simply a dead market

Desktop:

Laptop:

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

IDEA:

Maybe just get some cheap tablet, and display the images on that. it would mean much thinner bezels, and no need for an display cable going to a separate box

it will most likely be 16:9 screen ratio, but it would be smaller, so maybe it could work

That seems incredibly inefficient and expensive, and also untenable, how would I play the media back from a server? My idea was to power these from pi zeros, or from a server with an old gt gpu or two in it. Oh, also, I don't care about the 4:3s being new, just cheap.

I'd say something like a Eizo or high-end S-IPS panel. Eizo screens are around $90 a piece, but have really good colours. 

idk

3 minutes ago, Piku-Chan said:

Yeah it's just going to be a wall of such monitors

1 minute ago, Piku-Chan said:

That seems incredibly inefficient and expensive, and also untenable, how would I play the media back from a server? My idea was to power these from pi zeros, or from a

server with an old gt gpu or two in it.

Ah. didn't realize you wanted a whole wall. thought you just needed two or three.

why not just get a TV?

Desktop:

Laptop:

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Ah. didn't realize you wanted a whole wall. thought you just needed two or three.

why not just get a TV?

I don't think you understand what I'm going for. 

take a look at Wendell's setup in the background at 16:42

46 minutes ago, Piku-Chan said:

I'm looking to use a bunch of 4:3 monitors to simply loop back old content from the toonami days to give an aesthetic to a room, kind of like Wendell has on the Tek with his looping he-man monitor. So, I was wondering, what were some of the better 4:3 monitors made? And where can I find them? I don't want tft, crappy viewing angles, bad contrast, I want the best 4:3s money can buy, within reason of course. I'm sure they still exist in surplus, right? If push comes to shove, I'll just buy a bunch of crappy surplus ones, but there must be some great 4:3s out there. Inject your knowledge into me, please.

Your not really going to get a new one, but the second hand market and junkyard is full of them. You can't really pick one we suggest, until you find one of them. Just go to a thrift store or look on Ebay or Craigslist. If you still want a suggestion, my mother used to have a Mecer screen (she moved to a flatscreen not to long after). I enjoyed the Mecer quite a lot when I played game like 3-D Space Pinball and Worms. It looked nice to me. I actually still have it at the back of my house, in a flat.

46 minutes ago, Piku-Chan said:

Oh, also, were there any 4:3s made with 1080p in mind? I have a lot of shows I'd like to loop back on them in 1448 x 1080.

There should be, but that was also a time when flatscreens became all the rage.