Father builds prosthetic hand for son with 3D printer

Ethnod

amazing

Intel Core i5 4670K | Sapphire R9 290 | Define R4 | Gigabyte Z87X-D3H | 8Gb Ballistix | Corsair RM650 | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | Seagate Barracuda 1TB |

Would love to be the owner of the: nAMDvidia Titation 3000 ultra-xt Platinum Edition :D

Excellent story, thanks for sharing. I don't know much about 3D printer capabilities but this is just awesome functionality to design a hand. 

Well this is just about the coolest story I have seen in weeks. Instead of a $30k prosthetic hand the father could not afford he found a open source project online for a prosthetic hand that can be build by a 3D printer for about $5-$10. Incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15DE8_-ptZ8

Source:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50158048n

Classic case of tech used for good. Outstanding!

Great story nice to see someone making something good with 3d printers after the printable gun story.

Imagine printing 3D printers with 3D printers.

I find this amazing that you can build something that at least works for almost a tenth of the price of a normal prosthetic, amazing. It will be very interesting to see what his father will come up with further down the road.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I find this amazing that you can build something that at least works for almost a tenth of the price of a normal prosthetic, amazing. It will be very interesting to see what his father will come up with further down the road.

He does not have to come up with anything else now, 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/03/handie-prosthetic-cheaper-smartphone-3d-printing

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Awesome. Technologies like this will be awesome in the future when everyone has it :)

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

This is really amazing that the father had spent his time in making his child happy. Glad that he was successfully able to create this and make his child happy. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Faith in humanity...RESTORED ! 

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

I think 3d printing is just going to get better and better , i wonder when you will print parts to mod your pc?.

also on a not i dont really blame people charging high prices for prosthetic's there's alot more put into them to make them more usable, lighter, stronger etc

Its all about those volumetric clouds