Need reccommendation for new camera

iM8Pizza
Go to solution Solved by AkiraDaarkst,
2 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

title says it

I won't say I'm a photographer in any means but I do take pictures a lot (a whole lot, not selfies), and that is with my phone, but since my phone is dead now, I'd better of getting a new camera rather than a new phone.

the things that I'm looking for in a camera are the basic good stuff. but since I  will take it a long with me probably everyday to take pictures of any kind, so I'm looking for something that can share through wifi and/or bluetooth(don't really know if it will work with iPhone though..), and I'm planning to join the local photography group and also the school photography class.

cameras that interest me for now on are the Sony A6000 (it's compact, but some say that the lens are expensive), Canon T6i (I've been hearing people talking about this camera as a reccommendation for entry-level, and the lens too are cheap and easy to find at where I live), Fuji X-A3 (the selfie configuration is a plus although not really a big deal but it's cool whenever I'm with friends, it's also on sale at where I live-will get the Fuji Instax(not that I will use it, but I can sell it anyway or give it to someone)-). so yeah, I suppose that's all. and there's a picture here somewhere (thoughts on the picture are welcomed :D

20151224_183651.jpg

For what you want to do, just buy the camera you like that falls within your budget.  I wouldn't recommend the Fuji Instax if you are planning to join a club and take courses.  Sony native lenses are going to be a bit expensive compared to equivalent lenses from Canon.  Fuji lenses are very nice but they can also be expensive.  However for a beginner the kit lens that comes with most cameras are good enough, with time and experience you will learn to figure out which lenses you need.

For your photo, it's meh at best.  While the composition of converging lines does make it a nice photo I'm not sure if it was intentional or accidental.  It's not really an interesting photo.

title says it

I won't say I'm a photographer in any means but I do take pictures a lot (a whole lot, not selfies), and that is with my phone, but since my phone is dead now, I'd better of getting a new camera rather than a new phone.

the things that I'm looking for in a camera are the basic good stuff. but since I  will take it a long with me probably everyday to take pictures of any kind, so I'm looking for something that can share through wifi and/or bluetooth(don't really know if it will work with iPhone though..), and I'm planning to join the local photography group and also the school photography class.

cameras that interest me for now on are the Sony A6000 (it's compact, but some say that the lens are expensive), Canon T6i (I've been hearing people talking about this camera as a reccommendation for entry-level, and the lens too are cheap and easy to find at where I live), Fuji X-A3 (the selfie configuration is a plus although not really a big deal but it's cool whenever I'm with friends, it's also on sale at where I live-will get the Fuji Instax(not that I will use it, but I can sell it anyway or give it to someone)-). so yeah, I suppose that's all. and there's a picture here somewhere (thoughts on the picture are welcomed :D

20151224_183651.jpg

2 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

title says it

20151224_183651.jpg

For what you want to do, just buy the camera you like that falls within your budget.  I wouldn't recommend the Fuji Instax if you are planning to join a club and take courses.  Sony native lenses are going to be a bit expensive compared to equivalent lenses from Canon.  Fuji lenses are very nice but they can also be expensive.  However for a beginner the kit lens that comes with most cameras are good enough, with time and experience you will learn to figure out which lenses you need.

For your photo, it's meh at best.  While the composition of converging lines does make it a nice photo I'm not sure if it was intentional or accidental.  It's not really an interesting photo.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

32 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

thank you, I'd get the T6i then, and thanks for the comment on the picture, it really helps 

cheers :D 

6 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

thank you, I'd get the T6i then, and thanks for the comment on the picture, it really helps 

cheers :D 

Another thing I could suggest is "don't buy the camera you feel is the best for you right now, see if you can find something good enough for cheaper, perhaps a used or refurbished camera".  After you've taken the classes and learned stuff you will very likely have a better knowledge of what camera system you want to invest in.  Then sell the "beginner" camera you bought, invest in the more ideal camera you want.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

21 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Another thing I could suggest is "don't buy the camera you feel is the best for you right now, see if you can find something good enough for cheaper, perhaps a used or refurbished camera".  After you've taken the classes and learned stuff you will very likely have a better knowledge of what camera system you want to invest in.  Then sell the "beginner" camera you bought, invest in the more ideal camera you want.

how about the Sony A5000? my brother has one and I don't really think he's using it as much as I (will) do.

about used, I'm not really sure about camera in the used category, for computer parts sure but not so much for camera. but I would, if I know the person and how he handle stuff 

21 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Then sell the "beginner" camera you bought, invest in the more ideal camera you want.

not really sure about doing so, camera won't be the only thing that I'm interested, mainly PC is the most important one upgrade wise. But well, we'll see how it goes at later time. but as of now, I'm not planning to do so

8 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

how about the Sony A5000? my brother has one and I don't really think he's using it as much as I (will) do.

about used, I'm not really sure about camera in the used category, for computer parts sure but not so much for camera. but I would, if I know the person and how he handle stuff 

I'd definitely use the a5000 for a bit if you can, then buy a new camera once you've taken the course and know more about what you want, if that's possible

On 2016-12-13 at 3:47 PM, iM8Pizza said:

The A5000 is getting a bit old. I have and use on myself but if I was to buy new now I wouldn't get it. Maybe if you can get it cheap now and then later upgrade? It is however a camera capable of getting pretty decent shots if paired with a good lens. 

Il list the downsides of it I have found while using it:

- No viewfinder which makes it harder to get a good reference in bright sun light

- Quite bad screen. I wouldn't trust it to check sharpness at all, what might look bad could be pretty good when you get it up on your PC

- Lack of physical buttons and controls, it works yes, but it can get frustrating when you want to switch things fast

- AF speeds. The AF is not that quick and sometimes inaccurate. Probably because it only has contrast focus and not a hybrid system like the A6000 with phase detection too

- No hot shoe. You won't be able to use a speedlight or something else of some sort or any mic or remote trigger that uses a hot shoe. (Maybe not the greates problem in a camera in  this budget

I do however know what you pay for is what you get. It has some good points too, pretty decent IQ and ISO performance for what you pay and a very light and small body. But I would try to go with the A6000 at least if you can as I think most people would preffer that one a lot.

So basically if you are looking for a mirrorless I would rather reccomend you to go with the A6000 instead. But if you can't I can't either say the a5000 is bad because in the right hands I wouldnt doubt you can get good images. 

If you want some reference images from the A5000 all shots on my insta are taken with it during the past year or so. (DM me for acc if interested since I don't know if they would count it as advertising to give out my insta here) 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"