Is it safe to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise?

I read several reports from 2015 to early 2016 about the danger of using a windows 10 enterprise key to upgrade a windows 10 pro os to enterprise but the reports suddenly stopped. Is it still dangerous to use this technique and change the key on windows 10 to an enterprise one to upgrade it?

There is zero danger if you upgrade windows wth a product key

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

14 minutes ago, Sirgeorge said:

I'll hold you to it.

I assume you have a product key from when you bought and installed windows 10 Pro.  Just make sure you hold onto a copy of that key.  That way if the upgrade does cause some sort of problem (which I highly doubt), you can just reinstall 10 Pro and use the product key to activate it again. 

Edit:  I just remembered, if you upgraded from an older version of Windows to Windows 10 you might not have the Windows 10 product key. In which case, logging in with a Microsoft account might help you, because that links your Windows 10 key with your Microsoft account.  You would then be able to reinstall Windows 10 Pro and then log into you Microsoft Account again to re-activate. http://www.windowscentral.com/how-link-your-windows-10-product-key-microsoft-account

I have a windows 10 pro product key. I just found that people had problems upgrading from pro and it alarmed me because they were saying it was never intended to be done that way even if the OS lets you do it. So, now I'm at least a little bit more sure about it and I'm very grateful as a result.

I would say no.

My current place of employment lost half a days worth of work, because of Windows 10. Specifically because the computers we use as terminals for tracking laptops as they move through the Depot, all upgraded to Windows 10 on their own, after an update was installed to the server that gives out updates for the terminals. The software we use, did not work in Windows 10 (I don't know why).

Luckily, the network administrator is intelligent enough to keep backups on hand for everything.

In my opinion, Windows 10 is not worth the risk in an enterprise environment. It lacks the control you need in that kind of environment. I wouldn't switch to it until M$ agrees to stop the telemetry, and stop cumulative forced updates, at least for the Enterprise version.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

7 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I would say no.

My current place of employment lost half a days worth of work, because of Windows 10. Specifically because the computers we use as terminals for tracking laptops as they move through the Depot, all upgraded to Windows 10 on their own, after an update was installed to the server that gives out updates for the terminals. The software we use, did not work in Windows 10 (I don't know why).

Luckily, the network administrator is intelligent enough to keep backups on hand for everything.

In my opinion, Windows 10 is not worth the risk in an enterprise environment. It lacks the control you need in that kind of environment. I wouldn't switch to it until M$ agrees to stop the telemetry, and stop cumulative forced updates, at least for the Enterprise version.

When you have Enterprise edition of Windows, Windows Server sends the updates to all system within the company that is on the same domain. The IT decides which updates to send or not. With Windows 10, as the OS works with cumulative updates now, they can't pick and choose updates. But they can block an update. Not saying this is an ideal solution. Of course not, just presenting some information.

Telemetry was always enabled in previous version of Window by default. Now, the company can block it (or disable telemetry data in older Windows, but most who that want/wanted to block this, just block the connections and call a day)

They are many reasons for a software to not work. But generally, and in most cases, it is due to piss poor programming. Not that it is helping anything, I know.. but just saying. Sometimes, compatibility mode can make it work. It is to test, if you haven't.

8 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I find this amusing, seeing as The US GOV has approved to upgrade 4 Million machines to windows 10 

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/02/17/us-department-of-defense-commits-to-upgrade-4-million-seats-to-windows-10/#v8wzHrMXu2pxQwRB.97

Well I just had a nifty well-backed program to autoinstall the necessary firewall perimeter rules as well as other things set up and it stopped windows from doing too much. As for the enterprise upgrade, I'm still on the fence. Windows 10 to seems to be the most enticing feature out of the nonobvious things. I could score a supported drive for fifty bucks or so, it wouldn't end up turning so bad. Maybe...maybe...hmm.