Would not boot after failed overclock

Go to solution Solved by PCGuy_5960,
16 minutes ago, revolcane said:

Any tips on getting Windows 10 to boot up on a new model motherboard?

If it is a retail version then you will have no issues. If it is an OEM version, I am not sure how to activate your installation... 

Hello again all. First of all sorry for my last thread, I got irritated because people were telling to get a new PSU so I eventually did (Corsair RM750X). Thanks all.

So I decided to try and overclock my PC, specs again are;

AMD FX 8350
MSI 970A-G43
AMD RX 480
Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Corsair RM750X
16gb 1600mhz RAM

I followed online examples and pushed my CPU to 4.5ghz. Failed stress test. Upped voltage to 1.38 (from 1.365, it was the next step up), still crashed. Upped it to 1.4, crashed again. I decided to just go back to stock by setting UEFI/BIOS to default. Would not boot to Windows. After multiple resets and power off/on booted to Windows once and froze. This was happening many times over, I thought Windows got corrupted so I changed the hard drive to my backup, still not booting. I also reset the BIOS to stock by pulling the battery.

I then thought either Motherboard is messed up or the CPU is. I then decided to swap CPU's with a media rig I had, with an Athlon II X4 620.

Took a couple of reboots but finally the original rig booted to Windows on the Athlon and ran fine. The other rig also took two boots but eventually ran good on the FX 8350 (typing on that rig right now).

Just wanted your thoughts on this. Why would it not boot up after the failed overclock even with the BIOS reset? Why did the PC start working with a different CPU?

I have not yet swapped the CPU's right now, will do it soon.

Well, the BIOS was not properly reset.... Unplug all of the power connectors from the motherboard and then pull the battery out and wait for a minute or two.

It works with another CPU as it is not trying to apply the overclock. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, kidpcbuilder2004 said:

did you use the stock cooler?

Forgot to mention I have a Corsair H55 AIO

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well, the BIOS was not properly reset.... Unplug all of the power connectors from the motherboard and then pull the battery out and wait for a minute or two.

It works with another CPU as it is not trying to apply the overclock. 

did you try this?

()_()
        ( ._.)
     c((")(")

2 minutes ago, kidpcbuilder2004 said:

did you try this?

Yup, mentioned it in my first post, should have elaborated more.

maybe problems with the cpu is damaged? if not gaot no clue.

()_()
        ( ._.)
     c((")(")

3 minutes ago, kidpcbuilder2004 said:

maybe problems with the cpu is damaged? if not gaot no clue.

So far it's working ok in the second rig.

Just ran Prime 95 on the 8350 on the secondary rig, stable and cool for 10 minutes (stock). Will transfer back to main rig, wish me luck.

dude reset cmos.. 

when it won't boot or gives you a black screen when booting, etc. reset cmos and start again. 

21 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

when it won't boot or gives you a black screen when booting, etc. reset cmos and start again. 

I did! Many times! I mentioned this.

I placed the 8350 back in the main rig, BIOS reset to defaults. I'm still having trouble booting even though I know both motherboard and CPU will work with other CPU/motherboard.

2 minutes ago, revolcane said:

I did! Many times! I mentioned this.

I placed the 8350 back in the main rig, BIOS reset to defaults. I'm still having trouble booting even though I know both motherboard and CPU will work with other CPU/motherboard.

How are you doing it? Short the CMOS pins.. 

you said you reset the BIOS. 

9 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

How are you doing it? Short the CMOS pins.. 

you said you reset the BIOS. 

I was able to get to BIOS if I catch it early enough and reset to defaults. I also removed the CMOS battery for a minute. When I placed the 8350 back in it prompted me to load defaults.

I will try taking the battery again.

I'm betting on partially dead VRM circuitry in the motherboard, or at least some degree of damage. Feeding 1.4v to an 8-core AM3+ CPU is not something every motherboard can sustain. Doing it in that particular motherboard was extremely risky. The Athlon probably manages to boot because it requires less power.

If you manage to get the rig working again, I would advice you to revise overclocking expectations. 4.5GHz is very high: for reference, an FX-9370 stock clock is 4.4GHz, and very few motherboards support it. The MSI-970A-G43 doesn't officialy list the 8350 or 8370 (non-E) as supported at stocks.

I think the source of the instability was the inability of the VRMs to supply enough power for 4.5GHz, and the problems you are facing now are due to it's inability to handle the VRM heat generated by trying to achieve the 8-core, 1.4v delivery (and probably 8*1.3xv wasn't too pleasant for them either).

4 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'm betting on partially dead VRM circuitry in the motherboard, or at least some degree of damage. Feeding 1.4v to an 8-core AM3+ CPU is not something every motherboard can sustain. Doing it in that particular motherboard was extremely risky. 

If you manage to get the rig working again, I would advice you to revise overclocking expectations. 4.5GHz is very high: for reference, an FX-9370 stock clock is 4.4GHz, and very few motherboards support it. The MSI-970A-G43 doesn't officialy list the 8350 or 8370 (non-E) as supported at stocks.

I think the source of the instability was the inability of the VRMs to supply enough power for 4.5GHz, and the problems you are facing now are due to it's inability to handle the VRM heat generated by trying to achieve the 8-core, 1.4v delivery (and probably 8*1.3xv wasn't too pleasant for them either).

Do you think that by changing the CPU it didn't stress the VRM so it ran fine? I just returned the 8350 back into the original rig and unable to boot again, I might have to get a new MOBO and and call Microsoft to renew my activation.

8 minutes ago, revolcane said:

Do you think that by changing the CPU it didn't stress the VRM so it ran fine? I just returned the 8350 back into the original rig and unable to boot again, I might have to get a new MOBO and and call Microsoft to renew my activation.

Yes, I added that later :$

The Athlon won't demand as much work by the VRM, so it would be consistent with a partial failure. You could also try giving it a rest and try again in a few hours/days.

Bear in mind that that's what it seems to me given the available information, but it could be something else. It's just the hypothesis i couldn't discard yet.

12 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yes, I added that later :$

The Athlon won't demand as much work by the VRM, so it would be consistent with a partial failure. You could also try giving it a rest and try again in a few hours/days.

Bear in mind that that's what it seems to me given the available information, but it could be something else. It's just the hypothesis i couldn't discard yet.

I put in another CPU I found, a Phenom X4 B95. Booted right up. Looks like I need a new Mobo. At least I can used this old one for a weaker rig later on.

1 minute ago, revolcane said:

Not really. I would refrain from suggesting "upgrade to Windows 7" and let people with more Windows 10 experience actually help you :P 

16 minutes ago, revolcane said:

If it is a retail version then you will have no issues. If it is an OEM version, I am not sure how to activate your installation... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Good thing Windows 10 is kinda "free" (I have 2 rigs with "free" Windows 10). I do have sources of cheap keys so there's that. Oh well.