i3 6100 and I3 6300 vs i5 6500

NsaZ
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
1 minute ago, NsaZ said:

Hi, could you elaborate a little more? The purpose I chose the i3 6100 is because this build is mainly for gaming. From my understanding most games, even AAA do not always use all 4 cores. And since the i3 6100 single/dual core is similar or marginally better than the i5 6500, I cant see why i would need a i5 6500

Hi guys, I building a PC atm. I'm curious as to whether it would be worthwhile to buy the i3 6300 for the extra 1mb smart cache?

Also, some open world games seems to be CPU bound with the current specs. Is this affected by the amount of smartcache or is it due to the dual core issue?

Would changing to the i5 6500 help solve bottlenecking on some video games, due to its quad core or 6mb smart cache?

i3 6100

MSI H110M VHL

MSI GTX1060 6GB or the powercolour RX480 8GB (if I find a freesync monitor)

Corsair 2x4GB DDR4 2400

Edit: Hi guys, thanks for the replies. It does seem that buying the I5 6500 is a better choice for both the present and near future. Thanks!

1 minute ago, NsaZ said:

Hi guys, I building a PC atm. I'm curious as to whether it would be worthwhile to buy the i3 6300 for the extra 1mb smart cache?

Also, some open world games seems to be CPU bound with the current specs. Is this affected by the amount of smartcache or is it due to the dual core issue?

Would changing to the i5 6500 help solve bottlenecking on some video games, due to its quad core or 6mb smart cache?

i3 6100

MSI H110M VHL

MSI GTX1060 6GB or the powercolour RX480 8GB (if I find a freesync monitor)

Corsair 2x4GB DDR4 2400

Get the i5 for sure

My life

core count is most of the bottleneck most of the time.

get the i5

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Get the i5 for sure

Hi, could you elaborate a little more? The purpose I chose the i3 6100 is because this build is mainly for gaming. From my understanding most games, even AAA do not always use all 4 cores. And since the i3 6100 single/dual core is similar or marginally better than the i5 6500, I cant see why i would need a i5 6500

Just now, NsaZ said:

DX12 much

My life

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

core count is most of the bottleneck most of the time.

get the i5

Meaning the 4 physical cores would help solve the CPU bottleneck?

1 minute ago, NsaZ said:

Just now, NsaZ said:

Meaning the 4 physical cores would help solve the CPU bottleneck?

Yes probaly because DX12

My life

Just now, NsaZ said:

a quad core is double as powerful as a dual core of the same clock speed (if they are both from the same generation)

games do use one core more, but they use all cores available.

watch dogs 2 on my i7 uses all 8 threads equally. all to about 80%

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, Himommies said:

DX12 much

I am sorry, I am not a techie, could you kindly explain or direct me how DX12 is related to the 6500 and 6100?

Just now, NsaZ said:

I am sorry, I am not a techie, could you kindly explain or direct me how DX12 is related to the 6500 and 6100?

DX12 and Vulcan are a new API or application program interface compared to DX11 there are lot's of improvements one of them being better CPU core usage/optimization.

My life