DaVinci Jr  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Anyone own a davinci Jr?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you like it?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you find drm filament annoying?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Is it worth hacking the NFC chip?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Is XYZPrinting working on ABS fro this printer

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Not possible with printer hardware

Anyone own a davinci Jr? I am looking to get one (probably 1.0W) and want owners opinion on the printer.  Do you find drm filament annoying?  Anyone know if XYZPrinting is working on ABS for this printer? Is it worth hacking the NFC chip?  So many questions! HELP!!!!

stay away, they are very low quality. You would be better off with a cheaper reprap model. Unless the machine is a stratasys or any other very high end 3d printer, any "drm" for filament is just a money grab.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

If you're going to buy a cheap, cheap 3D printer, buy the Monoprice Maker Select Mini. XYZ Stuff is generally pretty meh. Maybe the Pro model is alright, but the Jr. is especially terrible.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

18 minutes ago, TheGhzGuy said:

If you're going to buy a cheap, cheap 3D printer, buy the Monoprice Maker Select Mini. XYZ Stuff is generally pretty meh. Maybe the Pro model is alright, but the Jr. is especially terrible.

that was my second choice.  The only things holding me back are the smaller build volume and calibration.

15 hours ago, bob345 said:

stay away, they are very low quality. You would be better off with a cheaper reprap model. Unless the machine is a stratasys or any other very high end 3d printer, any "drm" for filament is just a money grab.

i am not interested in diy printers.  DOn't have time while in high school.  

42 minutes ago, Yair said:

There are RepRap printers that are fully assembled.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

1 hour ago, Yair said:

Like @TheGhzGuy said, there are pre built models. Also, i would go with a kit as in the end it will be much easier for you to troubleshoot issues as you will know how the printer works mechanically much better. I also want to state that no mater what fdm printer you get, you will have problems you have to trouble shoot. FDM printers are FAR from being a push button solution. If you say you dont have time to build a kit then there is no way you will have the time to learn what you need to to get consistent prints.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I'm in high school myself, so I know how you feel with that time crunch! Like @bob345 said, building a kit (some come more preassembled than others) allows you to learn the ins and outs of the printer, making it easier to troubleshoot. Even a well make printer like the Prusa i3 MK2 (The one I own) will have its share of hiccups. If you can't fit it into your schedule (or spend 3 hours on a bus, like me) get a serviceable printer. RepRap comes to mind due to the large community. Something like an XYZ, while appealing in cost, are even more difficult to repair due to their closed source nature and smaller community.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

I'd like to point out that ive built two printers with high and middle school. Granted one of them didn't work, but if you get a well engineered machine like the ultimaker original, it takes maybe 11 hours from a box of parts to a working machine.

ASU