Why are the Samsung 850 EVO SSD's so popular?

Go to solution Solved by ARikozuM,
3 minutes ago, GR412 said:

Amazon, Scan and many other retailers have them as the most popular sata SSD. I just want to know if they are as good as they are popular. What makes then stand out against other sata SSD's?

The 850 EVO offers very good performance due to one of the strongest controllers on the market coupled with the performance and density of 3D V-NAND.

Unlike the 212 EVO by Cooler Master, the 850 EVO has earned its spot on the leaderboard through performance.

Also is it worth getitng the PRO version of the 850 over the normal EVO? From what I understand the only difference is that the PRO version will last x2 as long and has a 10 year warrenty. I'm not even sure if £100 extra for the PRO is even worth it.

I'd go for either the 850 PRO (thanks to 10-year warranty) or the Crucial MX300 since it offers the same performance as the 850 EVO.

I'm looking to replace my old (dying) 1TB mechanical with a 1TB SSD and i've heard about Samsung evo's everywhere. Is there a reason why they're so popular? Even Linus has featured them on many of his videos.

Amazon, Scan and many other retailers have them as the most popular sata SSD. I just want to know if they are as good as they are popular. What makes then stand out against other sata SSD's?

Also is it worth getitng the PRO version of the 850 over the normal EVO? From what I understand the only difference is that the PRO version will last x2 as long and has a 10 year warrenty. I'm not even sure if £100 extra for the PRO is even worth it.

Thanks.

Because they are really good. But for general usage a MX 300 would be fine

1 minute ago, GR412 said:

I'm looking to replace my old (dying) 1TB mechanical with a 1TB SSD and i've heard about Samsung evo's everywhere. Is there a reason why they're so popular? Even Linus has featured them on many of his videos.

Thanks.

Samsung is an established brand, manufactures their own products, has a good warranty, good software support, the drive is reliable, decently priced, and looks good.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Because they are really good. But for general usage a MX 300 would be fine

Why are they really good?

The 850 EVO offers very good performance due to one of the strongest controllers on the market coupled with the performance and density of 3D V-NAND.

Unlike the 212 EVO by Cooler Master, the 850 EVO has earned its spot on the leaderboard through performance.

I'd go for either the 850 PRO (thanks to 10-year warranty) or the Crucial MX300 since it offers the same performance as the 850 EVO.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Eh, the 850 EVO is still much better due to much faster random I/O speed, arguably the most important thing to have excess of due to how responsive it makes the system feel.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Evo-250GB-vs-Crucial-MX300-275GB/2977vs3642

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Longevity of modern SSD isn't a concern for general use. The extra long warranty and slightly better performance of the Pro version is nice to have. But not for the extra $100. The 850 EVO is more than enough for most applications.

1 minute ago, Deli said:

Longevity of modern SSD isn't a concern for general use. The extra long warranty and slightly better performance of the Pro version is nice to have. But not for the extra $100. The 850 EVO is more than enough for most applications.

Yeah that was my feeling, I'm only really gonna play games and compile small Java and C programs.

15 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Eh, the 850 EVO is still much better due to much faster random I/O speed, arguably the most important thing to have excess of due to how responsive it makes the system feel.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Evo-250GB-vs-Crucial-MX300-275GB/2977vs3642

I see, i think i've made the right choice then.