AMD (16.12.1) driver problem

I just filled out a report with AMD and thought i'd share my problem here as well while I'm waiting for a driver update. The card I am using is a Sapphire R9 390X.

So after installing the latest version of Crimson (with DDU or Crimson doing the cleanup) I noticed some weird flickering bars across my screen so I restarted. Problem persists. Clean and install. Things seem ok do a little tweaking in WattMan and i notice the slider for the memory is gone. Restart the flickering problem is back and the slider is missing. So by now I have narrowed it down to WattMan or maybe MSI afterburner not playing well together (i have msi afterburner just to monitor things sometimes no OCing) simple disable MSI at startup and restart. Nope. It was at this point that I knew it was wattman because my memory on the GPU was running at 150mhz and it would not boost up to 1500mhz like it should the missing slider prevented me from adjusting it and MSI has no sliders or values to speak of even gpu-z is showing weird speed values for the card. So i am reverting back to the previous version until an update is available. 

TL;DR

Using Sapphire R9 390X

WattMan has my GPU memory stuck at 150mhz and the memory slider is missing (Afterburner does not help)

Wait for update

Capture.JPG

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

i have a 390 and was about to install it

now i am scared to do so

I didn't know what to put here...

2 minutes ago, NicekillBG said:

i have a 390 and was about to install it

now i am scared to do so

do it

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

one thing to do is update afterburner, that version didn't work after updating. I have 4.3 now.

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

do it

it is bugy for me too re live will notwokr  on a rx480 try to reinstall

6 minutes ago, LukaH said:

I noticed some weird flickering bars across my screen so I restarted.

its the ram being underclocked very hard, i rolled back to 16.9 and im waiting for a hotfix , it wont damage your system its just annoying 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

there is a new version? its been on 420 for AGES 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

now my memory is at 150mhz too... It wasn't like that yesterday. 

13 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

its the ram being underclocked very hard, i rolled back to 16.9 and im waiting for a hotfix , it wont damage your system its just annoying 

yes i am aware that there is no danger just frustration... especially because when Crimson was first released i was affected by the 0% GPU fan. manged to save my pair of 7950 before they got cooked. 

Just now, LukaH said:

yes i am aware that there is no danger just frustration... especially because when Crimson was first released i was affected by the 0% GPU fan. manged to save my pair of 7950 before they got cooked. 

dont forget 16.7.3

PSU Tier list

it is a multi display related bug. https://community.amd.com/thread/208845

disable side displays and it jumps back up, you can re enable the displays afterwards. It is in Advanced display setting in windows, change extend desktop to disable this display.

it will go back to 150mhz if you change OC settings, just disable and re enable displays

ASUS Strix R9 390 DC3OC 8gb Gaming 

After installing the new 16.12.1 driver system rebooted shows everything up until OS will not display desktop Windows 10 64bit Pro remove card and use Intel 4600 graphics no issue

Yes i can confirm unplugging the HDMI cable (TV) restores the slider and memory speeds.

Thanks guys  

Wouldn't say AMD is doing great with driver updates... This is the third time for me i have to install older driver to work properly. I would be happy if they take their time and not updated that often but deliver drivers that are actually usable... and yes i use multimonitor setup. Screen glitches out and ton of problems which most described above.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T |Asus M4A88T-M |A-DATA 8 GB(4x2) @1333|Asus R7 360 2G OC|Asus TA-M1|Hitachi 7211 1TB|Fortron 460W|Windows 10 pro 64

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with this new update, but in my case i have this problem (see pictures) , and when I try install the old driver (16.11.5) my screen is black. Any solution?  I tried everything ... and sorry for my english.

I have R9 270x

15782344_1351987924872771_461843908_n.jpg

15801263_1351987638206133_299936478_n.jpg

15822198_1351987141539516_1197641255_n.jpg

if you have the option avoid the hdmi connection. since i unplugged my second screen everything works fine i do realize this is not a good solution but i can manage without a second screen for now. 

try installing the older driver using display driver uninstaller to get rid of the current drivers 

6 hours ago, LukaH said:

if you have the option avoid the hdmi connection. since i unplugged my second screen everything works fine i do realize this is not a good solution but i can manage without a second screen for now. 

try installing the older driver using display driver uninstaller to get rid of the current drivers 

I already try installing the older driver, I used the amdcleanuputility to uninstall the older driver, is the same thing , right? I think the new update broke my video card ... 

I use VGA connector (not HDMI), I already try everything, connecting with integrated card, installing older driver, etc

21 hours ago, Soldjahboy said:

I already try installing the older driver, I used the amdcleanuputility to uninstall the older driver, is the same thing , right? I think the new update broke my video card ... 

I use VGA connector (not HDMI), I already try everything, connecting with integrated card, installing older driver, etc

id try display driver uninstaller just in case but let it boot to safe mode and then clean.

• 1 month later...

Quick update!

the issue seems to be fixed in driver update 17.1.2

Fixed Issues

-Changing memory clocks with Radeon WattMan with more than one display connected may cause memory clocks to intermittently become stuck at their minimum setting or switch between min and max ranges intermittently causing display flickering.

let me just say FINALLY! happy multi display gaming/working guys