The last Christmas Gift

Zach's Tech Tips

So after a long haul of shopping, i've almost finished all my Christmas shopping :D Though I have one friend left over to buy for and was hoping if you guys could help me decide what to get him. Now he's a very good friend of mine and I'd be happy to spend up to $500 on this gift for him. He basically already has everything from the latest smartphone, multiple smartwatches and $6.5k gaming setup so that crosses out a few things

I was hoping that you guys might know of something groundbreaking or new in the tech world that would blow him away. 

Oh and that's 500 AUD

Thanks, Merry Christmas

Zach

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

A very large collection of Raspberry Pis. 

What about a gaming server? He has the setup. If he likes games like Arma, Minecraft, Gmod or whatever, giving him a game server might be cool. Not to mention it'd be the gift to keep giving. A lot of people money donate to servers because they like playing on them. 

5 minutes ago, Zach's Tech Tips said:

So after a long haul of shopping, i've almost finished all my Christmas shopping :D Though I have one friend left over to buy for and was hoping if you guys could help me decide what to get him. Now he's a very good friend of mine and I'd be happy to spend up to $500 on this gift for him. He basically already has everything from the latest smartphone, multiple smartwatches and $6.5k gaming setup so that crosses out a few things

I was hoping that you guys might know of something groundbreaking or new in the tech world that would blow him away. 

Oh and that's 500 AUD

Thanks, Merry Christmas

Zach

hmmmm get a gpd win a nintendo switch or a smach z for him?

but yeah vr headset would do

or maybe buy him a bunch of games

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

1 minute ago, the crunchiumo said:

Vr headset ?

He's already got one xD

Just now, fpo said:

A very large collection of Raspberry Pis. 

What about a gaming server? He has the setup. If he likes games like Arma, Minecraft, Gmod or whatever, giving him a game server might be cool. Not to mention it'd be the gift to keep giving. A lot of people money donate to servers because they like playing on them. 

A game server sounds like a great idea, maybe as good as the collection of raspberry pis :D

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

Just now, Zach's Tech Tips said:

A game server sounds like a great idea, maybe as good as the collection of raspberry pis :D

Why not both? If he likes programming or whatever a raspberry Pi with some accessories, and a game server or server PC would be pretty cool. 400 on that maybe (idk how much one should spend on a server, or how to build one) and then maybe go out with the remaining 100. Go to mcdonalds and get 100 items from the dollar menu. If you have those in australia. 

I second the proposed NAS as a gift if he doesn't have one already. And if he's someone that likes building their own stuff, just get him the parts.

[edit] This build here https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/sFZ4Yr

It's a full build for under $500, skylake mobo and CPU (although low end), but can be upgraded to an i7 in the future if the need ever arises. Case is just one that I personally like and isn't to everyone's taste, and a 3TB HDD WD red included, more can be added easily (up to 3 in the case), and the PSu is a very solid tier 1 PSU that has a 10 year warranty and is overkill for this build, but better to not cheap out on essential components. This build can also be used as a low end normal PC of course, and with just a CPU swap can be a mid range PC very easily.

If going the NAS route, I recommend FreeNAS as it's pretty stable (it's what I use), needs very little maintenance once set up and is easy to add more hard drives to the data pool if you find you need more... you can also ass them in by USB 3.0 etc if you like.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini