Motherboards: x99 vs z270 features?

Been getting ready to finalize my build plans with an x99 build (but that isn't the topic of discussion, i'm more curious about newer tech), and as far as I know, x99 has all the up to date tech on it.. M.2 slots, USB 3.1 and type-c, Sata express.. all the things that were all the rage seemingly not to long ago.
I know that tech advances so quick that things are outdated sometimes even before they are even officially released, but what does Z270 bring to the table that none of the x99 boards already offer? and on a related note, with both Z170 out for a while and Z270 coming up soon, does that mean that the next generation of X___ boards is likely going to be announced soon?

5 hours ago, Unclescar said:

but what does Z270 bring to the table that none of the x99 boards already offer?

Z270 offers full compatibility with Skylake and Kaby Lake while x99... does not

X99 and Z270 cannot be compared as they are aimed at two different platforms an the CPUs supported do not overlap

X99 is a workstation oriented platform and some CPUs on that platform offer 40+ PCIe lanes allowing full 16x SLI / CFX directly on the CPU

CPUs on X99 support quad channel RAM configuration

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

X99 and Z270 cannot be compared as they are aimed at two different platforms an the CPUs supported do not overlap

X99 is a workstation oriented platform and some CPUs on that platform offer 40+ PCIe lanes allowing full 16x SLI / CFX directly on the CPU

CPUs on X99 support quad channel RAM configuration

The X99 chipset is far from workstation oriented, even if there are some workstations based around it. It's an enthusiast platform, same as the Z chipsets. The difference being that X99 takes the road of more (albeit it older) cores, RAM, and PCIe whereas Z170 takes the road of higher IPC at the cost of cores and PCIe lanes.

They are comparable platforms, especially since they share most of their core features. They just serve different sides of the same market.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I'm aware that they support different chipsets, that is the obvious difference. My question is about what new tech has come out that would be on a Z270 board that wouldn't already be on an X99 board, aside from the "new CPU chipset" which is irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, Unclescar said:

I'm aware that they support different chipsets, that is the obvious difference. My question is about what new tech has come out that would be on a Z270 board that wouldn't already be on an X99 board, aside from the "new CPU chipset" which is irrelevant.

absolutely nothing

and I wouldn't call new CPUs irrelevant, because this is where the two platforms differ

1 minute ago, Unclescar said:

This isn't Z270 per se, but Kaby is set to have the TB3 controllers integrated onto the (At least the high end) CPUs.

I might be wrong, but I also believe that the Z270 chipset also gets a bump up in the Chipset's PCIe lanes (Used for M.2 NVMe storage, x1 slots, wifi, additional USB/SATA controllers, etc.).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, zMeul said:

and I wouldn't call new CPUs irrelevant

irrelevant to the discussion, because the CPU is not the topic. :) The Z series CPUs from the 4790K+ all perform near identically with marginal improvements between upgrades. They all compare to the current X series CPUs in the same way. There is a noticeable difference in features between X79 and X99, and quite a lot of different features between Z77 and Z270, obviously. But despite being the current generation of X series, it is not "new" in terms of time in the tech world.

CPUs per chipset is the obvious difference but cpu performance isn't relevant, I'm thinking of new features that would be on a new motherboard that wouldn't be on an old one. Like upgrades from USB 2 to USB 3 from older generations, and Sata to Sata express, and adding M.2 slots, etc. The new stuff. Goodies that would be (could be) on a Z270 board that aren't already available on the x99 mobos.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I might be wrong, but I also believe that the Z270 chipset also gets a bump up in the Chipset's PCIe lanes (Used for M.2 NVMe storage, x1 slots, wifi, additional USB/SATA controllers, etc.).

I did read about the upped # of PCI-E lanes, but the X99 already has that one-upped. Are there not already Z170 boards that have all those features?

1 minute ago, Unclescar said:

irrelevant to the discussion, because the CPU is not the topic. :) The Z series CPUs from the 4790K+ all perform near identically with marginal improvements between upgrades. They all compare to the current X series CPUs in the same way. There is a noticeable difference in features between X79 and X99, and quite a lot of different features between Z77 and Z270, obviously. But despite being the current generation of X series, it is not "new" in terms of time in the tech world.

CPUs per chipset is the obvious difference but cpu performance isn't relevant, I'm thinking of new features that would be on a new motherboard that wouldn't be on an old one. Like upgrades from USB 2 to USB 3 from older generations, and Sata to Sata express, and adding M.2 slots, etc. The new stuff. Goodies that would be (could be) on a Z270 board that aren't already available on the x99 mobos.

and this were you missed it by a galaxy

I wasn't comparing the perf difference in the CPUs on platforms

I was talking about features those CPUs on X99 offer that Z270 cannot, or vice-versa

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

I wasn't comparing the perf difference in the CPUs on platforms

I was talking about features those CPUs on X99 offer that Z270 cannot, or vice-versa

I apologize for misinterpreting.
So basically.. in terms of Mobos, the features offered on X99 and Z270 are likely to be near identical in feature quality, with X99 generally offering more quantity, and then the new things that new chips support (which still haven't really been mentioned, but I did see an article about Kaby Lake that I'll read in a few minutes) that the older chips don't support, which may or may not make a difference when comparing how the two chipsets generally perform..

Just now, Unclescar said:

I did read about the upped # of PCI-E lanes, but the X99 already has that one-upped. Are there not already Z170 boards that have all those features?

Sure, if we ignore that the 5820K and 6800K exist. As it stands, Z170 can have 28 lanes of PCIe 3.0, 20 from CPU, 8 from chipset. The entry X99 chips only have 28 lanes of 3.0 coming from the chip, and the 8 lanes of 2.0 from the chipset are often used for 2-3 x1 slots and additional SATA controllers.

We also don't know if Intel has anything in the works that won't be ready for when Z270 first debuts, but will be made available later in its lifecycle.

5 minutes ago, Unclescar said:

with X99 generally offering more quantity

X99 doesn't really offer anything over Z170/270 in terms of quality.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

X99 doesn't really offer anything over Z170/270 in terms of quality.

I said they were similar in quality.