Overclocking My I7 3770k

I want to overclock my CPU, but ONLY to where it is safe to a point that it does not require me to adjust the Voltage. Currently these are my specs

GTX 1070 G1 Gaming

I7 3770K 3.5GHz -3.9Ghz Turbo Clock

Gigabyte Z77X UP7 MOBO

8GB RAM

620 WATT Antec PSU

And my Hard Drives.

I dont have coolers or anything in my rig, and it is all fan cooling. Also, is there a app to stress test my CPU so I can monitor its CURRENT temps BEFORE I overclock?? No use in overclocking if my current temps are already in the 70-80 Celcius range .....

If all that checks, can anyone step me through to boosting my clock to a point where it is safe in terms of Degrees and no Voltage Tweaks??

10 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

I want to overclock my CPU, but ONLY to where it is safe to a point that it does not require me to adjust the Voltage. Currently these are my specs

GTX 1070 G1 Gaming

Gigabyte Z77X UP7 MOBO

8GB RAM

620 WATT Antec PSU

And my Hard Drives.

I dont have coolers or anything in my rig, and it is all fan cooling. Also, is there a app to stress test my CPU so I can monitor its CURRENT temps BEFORE I overclock?? No use in overclocking if my current temps are already in the 70-80 Celcius range .....

If all that checks, can anyone step me through to boosting my clock to a point where it is safe in terms of Degrees and no Voltage Tweaks??

There is an app for stress testing that I use, it is called Prime95. it will bring your CPU up to 100% usage and allow you to watch the temperatures, if they are stable at a comfortable point you are fine. 

Also, you posted this in graphics cards. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

do you have a stock cpu cooler?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

50 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

GTX 1070 G1 Gaming

Gigabyte Z77X UP7 MOBO

8GB RAM

620 WATT Antec PSU

And my Hard Drives.

you do realise that on auto voltage the board will increase the voltage forever? you will be able to get 5ghz at 1.8v. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

8 hours ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Just go as far as you can go without changing voltage. More GHz don't affect the temps. Higher voltage does.

But how do I increase my GHz??

9 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

do you have a stock cpu cooler?

Yes, Stock cooler. Temps are between 40-70. Been running the Torture Test with Prime95 for 30min now and temps do not seem to go past 70. According to CPU Z, my Core Speed is 3.7MHz at 1.008 Volts. Now how do I go from 3.5GHz to atleast 3.8GHz? Because my Turbo Clock is 3.9GHz, so I am assuming that is the safe zone for my CPU

8 hours ago, Jumper118 said:

you do realise that on auto voltage the board will increase the voltage forever? you will be able to get 5ghz at 1.8v. 

I have no Idea what you are saying. All I want to do is for someone to help me to tweak my CPU to a safe OC location WITHOUT the fear of Temps increasing TO MUCH on my stock cooler.

Are you saying Auto Voltage is bad and I should turn it off?? If I could go from 3.5GHz to at least 3.8GHz, I would be happy....do not know if that is a major increase??

9 hours ago, Stardar1 said:

There is an app for stress testing that I use, it is called Prime95. it will bring your CPU up to 100% usage and allow you to watch the temperatures, if they are stable at a comfortable point you are fine. 

Also, you posted this in graphics cards. 

Thank you, using the app and monitoring my Temps. How do I move this post to the CPU section??

46 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

I have no Idea what you are saying. All I want to do is for someone to help me to tweak my CPU to a safe OC location WITHOUT the fear of Temps increasing TO MUCH on my stock cooler.

Are you saying Auto Voltage is bad and I should turn it off?? If I could go from 3.5GHz to at least 3.8GHz, I would be happy....do not know if that is a major increase??

Yes.  Auto voltage is bad when overclocking. You need to work out what it is giving your cpu at stock speeds in terms of voltage. Then fix it at that voltage manually,  otherwise as you increase the clock speed auto voltage will increase the voltage. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

31 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

Yes.  Auto voltage is bad when overclocking. You need to work out what it is giving your cpu at stock speeds in terms of voltage. Then fix it at that voltage manually,  otherwise as you increase the clock speed auto voltage will increase the voltage. 

I managed to raise my Core clock to 3.9GHz. Temps went up from Idle 40Celcius to 50 Celcius ... Under load it still sits in the 75 Celcius Range. Is this good for a Stock Fan Cooler??

3.9 is the stock boost. On the air cooler I have my multiplier set to 42, so it runs ar 4.2ghz. I'm sure I could go up a bit. I don't stress test my components. I just use them and wait for a crash. I know the CPUs limits already. 

You can easily look up a 3770k over clocking guide and follow it step for step. Easier to do with a laptop or phone next to it with the guide it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

8 hours ago, Sparky862 said:

There are two options for setting up the voltage for an overclock. One is to use a voltage-offset, which offsets the voltage by a chosen amount, and the other is to use a manual voltage. The voltage must not be left on Auto, if overclocking, because the Auto settings will cause the CPU to be given high over-voltage.

1.35v is a safe max voltage for your 3770K, though I don't know what the temperatures will be at that voltage with a stock cooler. I recommend starting off by setting your CPU voltage to Manual, and 1.32v. Then change your CPU multiplier to 44, and see if that boots into Windows and is stable during testing, and if your temperatures are OK. If all that stuff is good, then you can try increasing your multiplier until it stops being stable. Then, lower it again to the highest value at which it is stable.

If your CPU load temperature is too high at that voltage, then lower the voltage a little, and repeat the process with the CPU multiplier. And if your CPU load temperature is fine, try increasing the CPU voltage up to 1.35v. If you get a cheap CoolerMaster 212 aftermarket CPU cooler (like $30 USD), you can increase the voltage and multiplier on your CPU even further.

Once you've found your maximum stable overclock at the particular voltage target you want, then, if you're interested in saving power usage, and keeping wear on the CPU to a minimum, you can try a voltage-offset that delivers the same general amount of voltage under load. I recommend starting with a positive voltage offset of 0.010, and see if that boots, and how much voltage is being delivered while the CPU is under full load. If it isn't enough, and your PC keeps crashing, then keep increase the voltage offset until the voltage supports the overclock of 4.4 Ghz, or whatever you're trying to run, and the load voltage is around the same level that you had to have it at while using the Manual voltage option, to support your particular overclock.

You might need a bit more peak voltage while using voltage-offset than you do while using a manual voltage, but the benefit of using a voltage-offset is that 80%+ of the time your PC is running, it will probably be at a very low voltage, like 1.14v or something, and will only ramp up to the needed full voltage when your system becomes under full load, thereby saving power usage and costs, and also putting less wear on the CPU in the long-term.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

13 hours ago, Sparky862 said:

Yes, Stock cooler

Get something like this first...install it...and THEN overclock your CPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2DZ6565&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

You can do quite a bit with the stock from what I've just been messing around with. Would be better in another case but it's plenty and has reasonable temps. 

Id still get something in your case as far as air cooling goes. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Don't play with the voltage, don't bother with BaseClock, just bump up your Core Multiplier to 41 or 42 and run a load test. You should still replace the stock cooler, because even a $20 cooler is way better then a stock cooler.

On 2016/12/11 at 2:00 AM, antonrr90 said:

Don't play with the voltage, don't bother with BaseClock, just bump up your Core Multiplier to 41 or 42 and run a load test. You should still replace the stock cooler, because even a R273.40 cooler is way better then a stock cooler.

Bumping my Core Multiplier up from 35 to 36 already gives me 10 Degrees Celicius in Temp gain on Idle ..... I do not know why it does this??

18 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

Bumping my Core Multiplier up from 35 to 36 already gives me 10 Degrees Celicius in Temp gain on Idle ..... I do not know why it does this??

Why don't you just download turbo boost. The CPU already goes up two 3.9 by default unless you messed with something. 

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Why don't you just download turbo boost. The CPU already goes up two 3.9 by default unless you messed with something. 

Noped, messed with nothing, everything already running at default. If I monitor my CPU temps, on 3.5 stock, it runs 35 celcius on Idle. Bumping the stock up to 3.6 puts me on 50 celcius Idle.

3.9 Is the Trubo Boost clock which automaticly activates IF requirements are met in game.

For example if my CPU already runs at acceptable temps, it would boost my 3.5 CPU to a 3.9 CPU in game. If temps get to high, it drops my CPU back to 3.5

5 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

Noped, messed with nothing, everything already running at default. If I monitor my CPU temps, on 3.5 stock, it runs 35 celcius on Idle. Bumping the stock up to 3.6 puts me on 50 celcius Idle.

3.9 Is the Trubo Boost clock which automaticly activates IF requirements are met in game.

For example if my CPU already runs at acceptable temps, it would boost my 3.5 CPU to a 3.9 CPU in game. If temps get to high, it drops my CPU back to 3.5

Which means it would boost. There's no way it's sitting at 3.5 because is temps. 

Set it to auto or xmp and see what it does. Not the oc'ing auto though. 

At 42x mine idles at 40~ on a stock cooler and two gpu's idling at 60c in a shit airflow case. 

Also if it's on default settings, does that include being on the balanced mode? Instead of high power?

11 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Which means it would boost. There's no way it's sitting at 3.5 because is temps. 

Set it to auto or xmp and see what it does. Not the oc'ing auto though. 

At 42x mine idles at 40~ on a stock cooler and two gpu's idling at 60c in a shit airflow case. 

How would I know if it really IS boosting me in game to 3.9?? 3.5 is the stock clocks it always runs in, assuming I am not in game. Other than that how am I certain it boosts me to 3.9??

3 minutes ago, Sparky862 said:

How would I know if it really IS boosting me in game to 3.9?? 3.5 is the stock clocks it always runs in, assuming I am not in game. Other than that how am I certain it boosts me to 3.9??

Prolly bring it up in some software, CPUz windows 10 task manager or the motherboards software. Even easier if you have  second monitor. It should boost even without being in a game. Just open a bunch of stuff and watch. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2016 at 9:24 AM, Sparky862 said:

Bumping my Core Multiplier up from 35 to 36 already gives me 10 Degrees Celsius in Temp gain on Idle ..... I do not know why it does this??

That is actually really strange, as when I did my testing just on multiplier without changing anything else, my temps never move more than a degree C. The multiplier must by pushing your CPU to the upper limit of you CPU Voltage, I know there is some slop in voltage on demand, but never seen temps jump that high from it.

(More Info)

My 3770K might be an odd one. currently I am running BCLK at 102.2, CPU Voltage 1.315, and multiplier at 52 (5,200MHz), liquid cooled of course, which is like 5.2+GHz, and after 24 hour load test, temps never went above 71C, and my water cooler is a Corsair H100i. I haven't found anyone running this high, but it has a catch, I can run it like this for days on end, but I can't reboot with those settings because it fails to post. I have to switch back and forth between profiles on the EUFI, but I have never once gotten an error during heavy loads on the system, and this processor will have 4 years of use on it in June.

But back to your issue, I have no idea what is going on with your temps, because it really should not be climbing that high without additional CPU Voltage.

Edited by antonrr90
Additional Information added