[Poll] Would you buy a phone from Nokia?

Indus Monk

Would you buy a phone from nokia running regular Android with a light skin?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a phone from nokia running regular Android with a light skin?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

This poll is to establish ground reality of how Nokia may perform in 2017. 

It is by no means exhaustive and is just to fulfill the curiosity.

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

If it can break the floor whenever i drop it instead of breaking the screen, i'm all for it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

if its a good phone than its a good phone, brand doesn't matter in that to me. so yea i would buy one if their phone is a good value with not much wasted on gimmicky features.

I still have one of these in my office somewhere. In hindsight it was terrible, but I loved it anyway. It would be neat if they tried some interesting things with design again, just with android.

h286.jpg

1 minute ago, tlink said:

-snip-

Brand matters a LOT for me. I dont want a good device, i want a great device that is great across all checkboxes, not like the ones from chinese competitors that offer great cpu's and storage capacities/memory, but pretty much are just mediocre or good in the rest, particularly terrible in costumer service tough. Ill say that i personally find even the big players like Samsung, LG and Sony costumer service being not good enough for theyr presence either, dunno about HTC or Google (i suppose its bad too for Google, not existing here in Portugal apparently), but if Nokia can deliver an exeptional costumer service, while making devices that truly have phenomenal specifications and the old Nokia resistance (just water resist those things and make them have impact ratings with perhaps durable displays), it surely would tick the light bulbs of my interest (not that id buy them at release tough, as of now).

Groomlake Authority

Btw, some old Nokias like the 3310 and 3390 are selling for close to 3000€ on Ebay, for some nostalgic creatures!

I still have an old Nokia C2600 Classic with me, wonder if its a good time to try to sell it for 500-800€ xD (Great condition, with the original box and its acessories)!

Groomlake Authority

I have always had Nokia, since the old bricks to the current Lumia ones, Since I am a PC person I don't really care much to App Library of Windows Phone being smaller it's not where I'll game anyways lmao, in fact I prefer the high performance of the Microsoft OS which runs so much more fluid than normal Android phones (my parents went for Samsung and always complains about slow response and crashes as the device ages).

Frankly if your goal with the smartphone is just use it as phone, and normal social media apps like WhatsApp, Telegram, Skype, Facebook and casual browse in the web even a cheap Nokia Lumia 550 will be more than enough for a decent experience, it has a great camera, it's super easy to add stuff to it like music files without the need of programs such as iTunes and more importantly it's cheap allowing me to instead use the money on what really matters; my PC.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Brand matters a LOT for me. I dont want a good device, i want a great device that is great across all checkboxes, not like the ones from chinese competitors that offer great cpu's and storage capacities/memory, but pretty much are just mediocre or good in the rest, particularly terrible in costumer service tough. Ill say that i personally find even the big players like Samsung, LG and Sony costumer service being not good enough for theyr presence either, dunno about HTC or Google (i suppose its bad too for Google, not existing here in Portugal apparently), but if Nokia can deliver an exeptional costumer service, while making devices that truly have phenomenal specifications and the old Nokia resistance (just water resist those things and make them have impact ratings with perhaps durable displays), it surely would tick the light bulbs of my interest (not that id buy them at release tough, as of now).

i just don't see anything customer service can do that i can't do, if i can pay 300 for the same speed of a 700 phone but with slightly better screen and great customer support than i would buy the 300 dollar phone anytime, i use my phone for years to come so support for it will have ended by then anyways, and cheap poweruser phones often have great modding community's so they can help me figure it out myself. as for warranty, eu mandatory 2 year warranty. if they don't i threaten with going to court and most chinese sellers bend over at that point.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

-snip-

But you cant threaten the chinese if you buy from a grey market and need to have assistance with your phone (warranty wise) and even if you do, theyll say you got no authority or basis behind your claims and Europe will totally dump the request. Well, i suppose some companies do sell flagships with meh okay displays when it comes to calibration, but unless its a Xiaomi Mi Mix  your talking about, ive never seen any device whose display comes close to an S7 Edge for example, in all categories when side by side. Well but what about the cameras, the build quality, the resistance to the elements that has just showed up xD? Yeah i understand tough, it totally depends on the user!

Altough the Pixel XL, hmm, ive heard some real nasty things about its display, like the low brightness, color calibration and whatnot.

Groomlake Authority

I'd buy a nokia phone with android if it's built as sturdy as their other phones. I mean who doesn't want a personal brick they can smack a robber with then call the po-po afterwards with it.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

3 minutes ago, Fooshi said:

Depends if this is Finnish Nokia or the Chinese company that now owns the Nokia trademark.

If it maintains the Finnish build quality and features, I'm all for it. 

Wasn't it bought by Microsoft which is an American company?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

No

1. They tried this with the X, X+, and XL

2. Its beyond their time. Theyre going to way of the Blackberry.

3. Microsoft ruined them when they couldve offered some decent competition in the midrange and budget areas.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

27 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

No

1. They tried this with the X, X+, and XL

2. Its beyond their time. Theyre going to way of the Blackberry.

3. Microsoft ruined them when they couldve offered some decent competition in the midrange and budget areas.

Nokia X series was different. I meant if Nokia made a phone with regular Android... Would you mind buying it?

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

31 minutes ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Nokia X series was different. I meant if Nokia made a phone with regular Android... Would you mind buying it?

Could've sworn that was a "budget" android phone.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I'm personally really excited to see what Nokia has to offer next year. I'm hoping that they decide to step it up a bit and really put out some killer flagships alongside the mid tier offerings that keep popping up. They have been working very closely with Google, so I'm hoping that means some really solid enhancements to Android.

11 hours ago, Fooshi said:

Depends if this is Finnish Nokia or the Chinese company that now owns the Nokia trademark.

If it maintains the Finnish build quality and features, I'm all for it. 

HMD Global (A Finnish company) owns the rights to the Nokia brand, and they contracted Foxconn to produce the devices.

10 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Wasn't it bought by Microsoft which is an American company?

They were, but only the smartphone division. They weren't allowed to make smartphones until the end of 2016, and then they're allowed to start up again. Can't wait!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Hmm, I'd be pretty interested, but sadly I bought a Lumia 950 because I needed a newer phone (College classmates kept complaining that I never responded to group text / groupme messages...it's because my previous nokia phone didn't support it / T-Mobile nerfed it off the network. I had a Nokia N9 before and I still love how the interface handled and still keep swiping down on Android / Windows Phone thinking it'll close the app...

I think the 950 will be the last phone designed by whatever remained of the smartphone division of Nokia. I think the Surface design team will take over / make surface phones instead of lumias. I might be wrong, I don't keep up with phone news much since there's so many phones...

I hope the bright vibrant Nokia phone colors make a come back too. haha.