Every night at the stroke of midnight

SimonsSay
Go to solution Solved by SimonsSay,

I have since I disabled the guest connections and their daily password updates had no problems with the connection at midnight. I will re-enable them, and have the passwords update automatically, but on a weekly basis instead, to see if something will happen at midnight between Sunday and Monday as a test.

I might also do as you suggest, fiddle with the clock, nice idea by the way :) But basically I feel that my problem is solved, or at least very manageable.

On 7/12/2016 at 10:19 PM, corrado33 said:

I'd try changing the time on the router. If it still happens at your 12:00, then it's something to do with your ISP. If it happens at the router's 12:00, then it's a setting in the router.

Simon 

Every night at midnight my internet dies for a short period. I Suspect it is my router that is the cause if it. All devices connected will report no wifi. When I check the problem, everything seems fine again. I Have a TP Link P5 touch router, and all devices are connected via WiFi. Anyone here who can explain why this might be happening and maybe even how I can prevent it?

The most annoying part is when the TV will report no connection and stop playing mid-movie, and when I do some troubleshooting, no problems are found, and I can continue. Every single night.

Simon

1 minute ago, SimonsSay said:

Every night at midnight my internet dies for a short period. I Suspect it is my router that is the cause if it. All devices connected will report no wifi. When I check the problem, everything seems fine again. I Have a TP Link P5 touch router, and all devices are connected via WiFi. Anyone here who can explain why this might be happening and maybe even how I can prevent it?

The most annoying part is when the TV will report no connection and stop playing mid-movie, and when I do some troubleshooting, no problems are found, and I can continue. Every single night.

Simon

Most routers have a built in scheduling function. At a set point, they will reset in order to maintain proper operation. You can go into the router settings and see if this is turned on. I would recommend just moving it off to a less significant time (most people are assumed to be asleep at midnight, but there are acceptations). You know what the router IP is right?

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

2 minutes ago, Redsun20 said:

Most routers have a built in scheduling function. At a set point, they will reset in order to maintain proper operation. You can go into the router settings and see if this is turned on. I would recommend just moving it off to a less significant time (most people are assumed to be asleep at midnight, but there are acceptations). You know what the router IP is right?

Sounds like a good place to start. As of now I dont know/remember the router IP, but should be able to find out when I get home from work. Why is it important?

1 minute ago, SimonsSay said:

Sounds like a good place to start. As of now I dont know/remember the router IP, but should be able to find out when I get home from work. Why is it important?

You type it in the browser bar and it brings up the router settings

That's an F in the profile pic

Just now, SimonsSay said:

You need to access the router through a web browser. Give 192.168.1.1 a try

It may also ask you for a username and password. The default values for TP-link routers are

admin

password

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

2 minutes ago, Redsun20 said:

You need to access the router through a web browser. Give 192.168.1.1 a try

It may also ask you for a username and password. The default values for TP-link routers are

admin

password

Hehe - ahh like that silly me - on this router there is a built-in screen to configure all settings - I will do it directly from there. Have gotten so used to it that I forgot that was how I used to access the settings :D - thank you all very much - I will look for anything that could look like a scheduled restart of some sort :) - Will report back 

imgres.jpg

1 hour ago, SimonsSay said:

Simon

There is typically a option for the router to restart at a specific time each night.  I personally have mine set up to do that at 1am every Monday and Thursday.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

3 hours ago, SimonsSay said:

on this router there is a built-in screen to configure all settings

That sounds fancy.  I didn't know some routers had those, but I'm also not surprised. 

38 minutes ago, Zoravar said:

That sounds fancy.  I didn't know some routers had those, but I'm also not surprised. 

Its more bling than anything else. But is kinda useful since I dont have the router in same room as most of my gear..

I have now looked in all router settings (including the manual. - And had no luck finding anything that resemble a scheduled reboot. BUT I suspect that it might be because of my 2 guest networks, which have passwords that are updated automatically every day. I have now reset everything. I have also disabled the guest networks and their auto pass updates. Will see at midnight if it has done any difference. Time here is now 18.37. So until then I will just have to wait :D

BTW I got sick of tapping that fancy screen, so went in the 'Old fashioned way' and configured via the browser. Still easier, and better overview of things than on the built-in screen.

Again thanks for all the input

Simon 

I'd try changing the time on the router. If it still happens at your 12:00, then it's something to do with your ISP. If it happens at the router's 12:00, then it's a setting in the router.

I have since I disabled the guest connections and their daily password updates had no problems with the connection at midnight. I will re-enable them, and have the passwords update automatically, but on a weekly basis instead, to see if something will happen at midnight between Sunday and Monday as a test.

I might also do as you suggest, fiddle with the clock, nice idea by the way :) But basically I feel that my problem is solved, or at least very manageable.

On 7/12/2016 at 10:19 PM, corrado33 said:

Simon