Free Upgrade! (I apparently have a 75 Hz monitor?)

corrado33

I was messing around with OCing my newly acquired GTX 960. Things were going great, the card is a beast. However, I knew the refresh rate of my monitor was 60 Hz.

Or so I thought...

Going into the screen resolution settings in windows 7 or 10, then clicking advanced settings then clicking "list all modes" lets you see a list of all the modes available to your setup, aka your GPU and monitor.

Interestingly, mine was set to 1440 x 900 (old PC and monitor), True color (32 bit) 60 Hz. 2 settings below that, I see 1440 x 900, True color (32 bit), 75 Hz. 

"Hmm" I say to myself. I wonder if this is actually an option. So I clicked it, thinking my monitor would display "unsupported signal" or some other bullcrap like that. Nope! Worked fine. 

So my next question was "How the heck do I test if my monitor is running at 75 Hz? Well, a quick google search brings me to this site. 

http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

It tells me my main PC is running at 59 Hz, exactly as expected.

However, on my newly discovered 960 machine, it reports 75 Hz! Freaking awesome! 

So I repeat the same procedure on my main monitor, hoping that perhaps a 75 Hz option was available there (great I think, my 1060 can barely keep far cry 4 above 60 already...). Unfortunately, no 75 Hz option on this monitor, but it WAS set to 59 instead of 60 Hz. (Hence why all my games would vsync to 59 Hz) I thought that was... normal.

I'd check the setting if I were you guys. You may be missing out on some free performance available to you that you didn't know. 

I've never messed with this setting before, this was simply the defaults! 

19 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

-snip-

I also have my monitor running at 75Hz, on GTX 970. You can change the refresh rate in the Nvidia control Panel (Which is how I do mine.)

Right click on the desktop, Select Nvidia control panel. Under Display > Change resolution, Click your native resolution (Mine would be 1920x1080) and click Customize. Click Create Custom resolution, and bump up your Refresh Rate slowly (Maybe +5 each time, to test). 75 would be nice, but some monitors cant support that high and might display a black screen. In that case, just wait a while and it will revert back to its original settings.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

My PB278Q can do 85hz on DisplayPort despite being a 60hz display.  A lot of TVs can go to weird non-standard refresh rates if you try to force them.  ...Yet my Samsung 4K TV disappointingly can't do 48hz despite supporting 50hz. :/

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

My PB278Q can do 85hz on DisplayPort despite being a 60hz display.  A lot of TVs can go to weird non-standard refresh rates if you try to force them.  ...Yet my Samsung 4K TV disappointingly can't do 48hz despite supporting 50hz. :/

The weird thing is the 75 Hz monitor is just an old dell flatscreen...

Many 60hz monitors are not limited to 60hz.  That's just an official specification.  What you will find is that many 60hz monitors are actually limited by the SINGLE LINK DVI SPECIFICATION which is 1920x1080@76hz, which is also what HDMI 1.4 is usually limited to (some HDMI TDMS chips in monitors can run 1920x1080@120hz, but most are only specified to run 1920x1080@75hz maximum, same limits as single link DVI).  By patching the DVI or HDMI limits, you may be able to exceed even this limit.

my 5 year old 60hz laptop's screen can run at 100hz, by creating a custom 1920x1080 resolution.  120hz is a nogo...screen starts sparkling and shows artifacts.

7 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Many 60hz monitors are not limited to 60hz.  That's just an official specification.  What you will find is that many 60hz monitors are actually limited by the SINGLE LINK DVI SPECIFICATION which is 1920x1080@76hz, which is also what HDMI 1.4 is usually limited to (some HDMI TDMS chips in monitors can run 1920x1080@120hz, but most are only specified to run 1920x1080@75hz maximum, same limits as single link DVI).  By patching the DVI or HDMI limits, you may be able to exceed even this limit.

my 5 year old 60hz laptop's screen can run at 100hz, by creating a custom 1920x1080 resolution.  120hz is a nogo...screen starts sparkling and shows artifacts.

i have something like 1337 by 720. i dont remember the exact specs but something like that. can i use this to JUST bump the refresh rate? cause it isnt 1080p.

9 hours ago, liquidmagma said:

i have something like 1337 by 720. i dont remember the exact specs but something like that. can i use this to JUST bump the refresh rate? cause it isnt 1080p.

I bumped the refresh rate on my 60 Hz monitor by 7 Hz. At 68 Hz the screen got blurry.