Deactivated two USB ports on the back of MOBO, can't get them back.

I was going through my USB ports in device manager as two of the ports of my case were not transferring data and I managed to solve that but in the process I have deactivated two of the USB 3 ports on the back of my motherboard.

This happened when I was updating their drives. There was 3 items with the name "Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enahanced Host Controller" and now one of them is missing. I tried looking under system devices but could not find it.

Can anyone help? I'm really stumped here and don't really know where to go from here. My motherboard is an Asus Sabretooth Z77.

1 minute ago, JTB123 said:

I was going through my USB ports in device manager as two of the ports of my case were not transferring data and I managed to solve that but in the process I have deactivated two of the USB 3 ports on the back of my motherboard.

This happened when I was updating their drives. There was 3 items with the name "Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enahanced Host Controller" and now one of them is missing. I tried looking under system devices but could not find it.

Can anyone help? I'm really stumped here and don't really know where to go from here. My motherboard is an Asus Sabretooth Z77.

have you tried to reset CMOS

1 minute ago, digitaldoughnut said:

have you tried to reset CMOS

Is that in the Bios? I haven't tried that yet though.

I did go into my Bios and all the ports are showing as active, not sure if that means anything.

3 minutes ago, digitaldoughnut said:

It should be a small button on the motherboard

I can't see a button but there is what looks like a cover over 2 pins in a 3 pin array with CLRTC below on it and some settings next to it. I've included a picture if that helps.

IMAG0412[1].jpg

9 minutes ago, JTB123 said:

Is that in the Bios? I haven't tried that yet though.

I did go into my Bios and all the ports are showing as active, not sure if that means anything.

can you charge a phone or other device from the ports

1 minute ago, JTB123 said:

I can't see a button but there is what looks like a cover over 2 pins in a 3 pin array with CLRTC below on it and some settings next to it. I've included a picture if that helps.

IMAG0412[1].jpg

no, you're looing for a silver battery somewhere on the motherboard, remove that and then leave it out for 15-30 mins. Then place it back in and turn the pc on 

4 minutes ago, digitaldoughnut said:

can you charge a phone or other device from the ports

Yes I can charge my phone or MP3 player so it's still getting power.

5 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

no, you're looing for a silver battery somewhere on the motherboard, remove that and then leave it out for 15-30 mins. Then place it back in and turn the pc on 

I can't see a battery anywhere visible. I have a feeling it may be under the thermal armour on the board.

I did find what that does in my manual though. From the manual "This jumper allows you to clear the real time clock (RTC) RAM in CMOS" - is this not the same as resetting the CMOS?

2 minutes ago, JTB123 said:

Yes I can charge my phone or MP3 player so it's still getting power.

I can't see a battery anywhere visible. I have a feeling it may be under the thermal armour on the board.

I did find what that does in my manual though. From the manual "This jumper allows you to clear the real time clock (RTC) RAM in CMOS" - is this not the same as resetting the CMOS?

The battery will be under the thermal armour then, for your board the jumper should work these are all the internal headers from the asus website:

Internal I/O Ports

1 x USB 3.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 2 USB 3.0 port(s) (19-pin, moss green)
3 x USB 2.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 6 USB 2.0 port(s)
4 x SATA 6Gb/s connector(s)
4 x SATA 3Gb/s connector(s)
1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
4 x Optional Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
2 x Assistant Fan connector(s) (3 -pin)
1 x S/PDIF out header(s)
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
1 x Front panel audio connector(s) (AAFP)
1 x System panel(s) (Q-Connector)
1 x MemOK! button(s)
1 x Clear CMOS jumper(s)-Try to jump this. (I am not sure of the location on your board)

9 minutes ago, digitaldoughnut said:

The battery will be under the thermal armour then, for your board the jumper should work these are all the internal headers from the asus website.

Thanks.

I tried the jumper just now and unfortunately it didn't work. Is there no other way around this other than taking the thermal armour off to get at the battery?

16 minutes ago, JTB123 said:

Thanks.

I tried the jumper just now and unfortunately it didn't work. Is there no other way around this other than taking the thermal armour off to get at the battery?

Sadly no, looking at screenshots online the battery is located here: 

sabertooth-z77-13.jpg

7 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Sadly no, looking at screenshots online the battery is located here: 

sabertooth-z77-13.jpg

I just found a video of someone taking off the amour so at least I have a reference now.

Thanks for all the replies though guys, at least now I know where to go from here. Really can't believe they didn't put some kind of cover on it though for easy access.

I assume removing the battery will guarantee a complete reset? Is there a specific amount of time to leave it out?

1 hour ago, JTB123 said:

I just found a video of someone taking off the amour so at least I have a reference now.

Thanks for all the replies though guys, at least now I know where to go from here. Really can't believe they didn't put some kind of cover on it though for easy access.

I assume removing the battery will guarantee a complete reset? Is there a specific amount of time to leave it out?

Leave it out for about 15-30 mins and hopefully that should fix your problem, good luck with everything :) 

32 minutes ago, digitaldoughnut said:

Leave it out for about 15-30 mins and hopefully that should fix your problem, good luck with everything :) 

Even though this was caused by updating drivers will removing the battery reset this? I've never messed around with bios/cmos resets before so I apologise if that's a silly question.

Thanks again for your help. I'll have a go at that tomorrow. I'm now regretting getting a MOBO with the thermal armour on it lol

I tried removing the battery and leaving it out for over 30 minutes. Wasn't as much of a head ache as I thought it would be.

Unfortunately that still hasn't fixed the issue. The two ports are still only giving out power and not transferring data :(

Does anyone know where to go from here?

On 12/6/2016 at 7:26 AM, JTB123 said:

I tried removing the battery and leaving it out for over 30 minutes. Wasn't as much of a head ache as I thought it would be.

Unfortunately that still hasn't fixed the issue. The two ports are still only giving out power and not transferring data :(

Does anyone know where to go from here?

I'm not to sure what else you could do - can you find an option within the bios to reset to factory defaults???