Last USB Device Malfunctioned

Having an interesting problem.

I have a dual boot machine running two different instances of Windows 10 Pro.  Most of the time (but not every time), I boot into either one, I get an error that the last USB device I plugged in has malfunctioned.  

This has been happening more and more of late, and I haven't recently installed any new hardware.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what it could be.  I should add that this even happens when I haven't plugged anything new into my system.

Device manager tells me that I have two unknown USB entries.  One is Link In Compliance Mode.  The other is Set Address Failed.  In the device properties, both hardware IDs don't do me any good.  Just, again that the link is in compliance mode and that set address failed.

Any ideas on this?  It's driving me batty.

Thank you in advance!

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K

RAM: 32GB DDR4

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 980

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (Rev: 1.1) With latest F20d firmware)

Boot SSD: Samsung 500GB SATA

Storage HDD: Western Digital 3TB HDD

What are all the usb devices you have plugged in?

Mouse, keyboard and what?

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Thanks for your reply!

Currently have plugged in: mouse, keyboard, monitor (has a built in usb hub), ps3 controller, an internal media card reader, and a usb 3 hub I actually do use.

Everything currently seems to be working.

Edit: After unplugging and plugging in the card reader from my motherboard, the set address failed error goes away, and my empty card slot drives show up.  Odd, the USB port on the reader has been working fine the entire time.  That clears something up.  Any idea how I can keep that from happening again?

Still have the other one that says link in compliance mode.  No idea there.  Hope you can think of something.

Thanks