Make cortana use windows media player?

Hey,

So i want to use Media Player for my music (a widget i use can sync with that but not groove) but cortana only opens groove. Its really annoying.

I have set my default music player as Windows Media Player,my playlist files open in media player and yet it still opens groove.

Just now, Miniman27100 said:

So if you try to open a .mp3 file it would have opened in Groove?

No,default player is media player,but cortana just ignores it

Yes,

1 minute ago, Miniman27100 said:

So if you were to tell Cortana to play a song, it would have played in Groove?

She just ignores default apps,i had to do a regedit to get her to use chrome over edge

The problem is not Cortana, the problem is Win32/UWP (the Universal apps platform).

Cortana integration can only be made by universal apps. That is why Netflix, Pandora, and others can integrate with Cortana, same with Groove, but Windows Media Player can't. Microsoft didn't add the APIs for Win32 apps (same for live tiles, actionable action center notifications (like have a reply box in a notification of a message, or display an image on a notification... basically, anything that is over a standard basic text only notification))

Microsoft focus is on UWP apps, not on Win32. Win32 is more powerful, and Microsoft knows it. The point of UWP is to provide ease of coding, and make the devs not worry from basic stuff like GPU accelerated GUIs for smooth experience, High-DPI aware, security, and so on... and provides additional tools to make devs life easier.  See it as: UWP-> Easy mode and Win32 -> Advanced mode, from a developer perspective (not really that, but gives an idea)

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

The problem is not Cortana, the problem is Win32/UWP (the Universal apps platform).

Cortana integration can only be made by universal apps. That is why Netflix, Pandora, and others can integrate with Cortana, same with Groove, but Windows Media Player can't. Microsoft didn't add the APIs for Win32 apps (same for live tiles, actionable action center notifications (like have a reply box in a notification of a message, or display an image on a notification... basically, anything that is over a standard basic text only notification))

Right,ok thanks. bit of a bummer though