msi gtx 780 or r9 290x?

lhikary

IMHO:
according to the different reviews that i read the twin frozer version is way much better than the stock 780
and it gives a really good PERFOMANCE AND WAY MUCH LESS STUTERRING THAN THE R9 290X
whereas the r9 290x does indeed comes better in some benchmarks in uber mode and sometimes both quiet and uber
but really to me if i got the msi 780 i wont have to buy a display port to vga
AND i will get 3 useless games and a $100 off shiled and i do need a new phone/tablet/something to watch videos on with the 780 whereas i wont get anything for the $550 amd card
Nvidia have G-sync which is way better than true crap in amd
and the fact that mental is somewhat bs really

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

sounds like you prefer getting the 780, get it. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

i think u get to  win something

this is 100th 780 or 290x thread :P

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

grab the 780 and if you want wait a little longer till the price drops a little

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

IMHO:

according to the different reviews that i read the twin frozer version is way much better than the stock 780

and it gives a really good PERFOMANCE AND WAY MUCH LESS STUTERRING THAN THE R9 290X

whereas the r9 290x does indeed comes better in some benchmarks in uber mode and sometimes both quiet and uber

AND i will get 3 useless games and a $100 off shiled and i do need a new phone/tablet/something to watch videos on with the 780 whereas i wont get anything for the $550 amd card

Also look at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130918 the advantage of EVGA is that is in the next 3 months (90 day of buying the card) you decide you want a better card (say the 780ti) you can use their step up program and only pay the difference in cost. Also EVGA has legendary customer service.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

grab the 780 and if you want wait a little longer till the price drops a little

Reference 780 dropped to $499 today. Non-reference at $550-570.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Also look at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130918 the advantage of EVGA is that is in the next 3 months (90 day of buying the card) you decide you want a better card (say the 780ti) you can use their step up program and only pay the difference in cost. Also EVGA has legendary customer service.

$560...no

and the fact that

I WILL BE SHIPPING THE CARD THROUGH 2 COUNTRIES SO WARRANTY IS SOMEWHAT DEAD to me :(

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

Display port to vga? It sounds like you're doing it wrong.

The micro stutter issues are only for multi-gpu configs. 

This sounds like some AMD hate right here.

What's so bs about mantle and true audio?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Reference 780 dropped to $499 today. Non-reference at $550-570.

oh i never noticed, thats pretty cool though

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

oh i never noticed, thats pretty cool though

Yeah its a huge drop ($150), makes the price to performance insane, bit of a slap in the face to AMD given that the 290x is $50 more expensive than the 780 now. Also announced that the 780 ti comes out November 7 and will cost $699. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7465/nvidia-announces-geforce-gtx-780770-price-cuts-gtx-780-ti-launch-date

Yeah its a huge drop ($150), makes the price to performance insane, bit of a slap in the face to AMD given that the 290x is $50 more expensive than the 780 now. Also announced that the 780 ti comes out November 7 and will cost $699. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7465/nvidia-announces-geforce-gtx-780770-price-cuts-gtx-780-ti-launch-date

im not a fanboy but this launch of the amd has been pissing me off. Good to see nvidia giving it to them now ahah

im not a fanboy but this launch of the amd has been pissing me off. Good to see nvidia giving it to them now ahah

We need the competition. I was really hoping that the 290x would crush Nvidia's cards, its a good cards just a little underwhelming in my opinion given that it is competing with year old silicon. I was planning on buying a 290x before the benchmarks and thermals came out, now I'm waiting to see how it does underwater before i decide between the 290x, the 780 and skipping this cycle and waiting for Maxwell and Pirates Island (or whatever AMD is calling their next cycle).

Display port to vga? It sounds like you're doing it wrong.

doing it right

The micro stutter issues are only for multi-gpu configs. 

LOL

This sounds like some AMD hate right here.

What's so bs about mantle and true audio?

if i want "true audio" and make the load on something other than my cou i will just buy a sound card, i dont want to pay extra $ for something that will never mattre to me and most likely every other customer with a brain

mantle requires an AMD cpu and i dont see ppl changing their entire setup for "mantle" whereas g-sync only requires you to change your gpu not change your mobo and cpu

mantle requires an AMD cpu and i dont see ppl changing their entire setup for "mantle" whereas g-sync only requires you to change your gpu not change your mobo and cpu

You can use mantle on a Intel CPU, its just an API for game devs, its usefulness depends on its adoption rates.

some amd perfomance
bf3-4k-645x520.jpg

We need the competition. I was really hoping that the 290x would crush Nvidia's cards, its a good cards just a little underwhelming in my opinion given that it is competing with year old silicon. I was planning on buying a 290x before the benchmarks and thermals came out, now I'm waiting to see how it does underwater before i decide between the 290x, the 780 and skipping this cycle and waiting for Maxwell and Pirates Island (or whatever AMD is calling their next cycle).

competition was good but amd were never going to bring out a titan killer at half the price. That would just be amd shooting themselves in the foot. To be honest i expected the performance that the 290x has but never expected it to be as hot and without reference at launch 

You can use mantle on a Intel CPU, its just an API for game devs, its usefulness depends on its adoption rates.

will then i apologies

but i really dont see alot of devs switching 

Option A

Buy the 290x, in which you'll receive a jet engine along with a winter heater with poor drivers and next to no overclocking headroom unless under water, don't forget the lack of after-market cooling for several months.

Option B

Buy the 780, which just received pricecuts, is an established product, runs cooler, quieter, after-market cooling enabled, far greater overclocking headroom & proven drivers.

Mmmmm

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

Option A

Buy the 290x, in which you'll receive a jet engine along with a winter heater with poor drivers and next to no overclocking headroom unless under water, don't forget the lack of after-market cooling for several months.

Option B

Buy the 780, which just received pricecuts, is an established product, runs cooler, quieter, after-market cooling enabled, far greater overclocking headroom & proven drivers.

Mmmmm

option c, quad sli titans?

competition was good but amd were never going to bring out a titan killer at half the price. That would just be amd shooting themselves in the foot. To be honest i expected the performance that the 290x has but never expected it to be as hot and without reference at launch 

No way around it the card is stupid hot with that cooler. I was hoping for a little more performance (maybe drivers will help a bit) even if it cost a bit more. I hate to see AMD playing catch up, I much prefer to have AMD and Nvidia leap frogging each other for the performance crown.

Option A

Option B

Mmmmm

780 ti with a full blown gk110 then nvidia will get my money for sure!

Crysis.png

No way around it the card is stupid hot with that cooler. I was hoping for a little more performance (maybe drivers will help a bit) even if it cost a bit more. I hate to see AMD playing catch up, I much prefer to have AMD and Nvidia leap frogging each other for the performance crown.

i think we have to wait till next week to see the 780ti full specs

i think we have to wait till next week to see the 780ti full specs

interested to see this. I wonder how it will slot into their lineup because i doubt they would spend the money making a new card which is hardly better than the 780 but then i have my doubts that they would make a card what beats the titan. I shall wait and see

i think u get to  win something

this is 100th 780 or 290x thread :P

at least its not a "I need a new mouse and keyboard" thread. 

IMHO:

Sounds like your wanting a 780.. wait for the price drops and snag one for cheap :)