GTX 1060 vs RX 480???

Boxing Kitten

Personal Recommendations based off of personal experience??

Why would you choose one over the other??

Never used a 1060 but from my experience with my 480 im pretty happy. haven't got to use it to its full potential yet though(bottleneck issues)

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

No personal experience, but.. GTX 1060 6GB. Mainly because it has better performance in the majority of games nowadays and saying the RX 480 will be better due to Vulkan/DX12 is true, but it will take a while for those APIs to be adopted and mainstream, and both GPUs will be outdated by then. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

@Thread212

Do you have anything to say on this?

Anyways, I've got a GTX 1070 and an RX 470. Performance wise, I'm happy with both. I've had some minor issues since I installed the 1070. Nothing major, just a screen flicker once in a while, and sometimes clicking on a tab in Edge will send it to the other monitor.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1060 6GB it's simply better, RX 480 is better in DX12 but both cards will be long obsolete before DX12 is mainstream.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

The RX480 has advantages in DX12 and Vulkan, and as long as NVIDIA's taking a dump on a stack of code and calling it drivers, the RX 480 will have a certain appeal. That said, I think the raw horsepower of the 1060 will keep it relevant for longer than the RX 480 will be.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I only have the 1060 6GB in my brother's PC, it's a very great card and uses very little power at all. The 480 is better for DX12 without a doubt, but there's very few games that support DX12. Also, if you want to use anything that supports CUDA acceleration, you'll want Nvidia (I'm spoiled by iray rendering in 3DS Max now).

Both are good cards though. Also, if you don't mind used, double check for used 980 Ti cards. They use more power, but they're getting pretty cheap now.

I went with the MSI Gaming RX480 8GB, I don't upgrade often, once every 2-3 years so the 480 seemed more appealing. It has better support for DX12 and Vulkan, AMD tends to support their hardware longer and Freesync monitors are cheaper than G-Sync. I also come from a Raedeon 7950 Boost and I have had no issues whatsoever with AMD Drivers, i hear people claim Nvidia has better drivers but honestly I have had more issues with Nvidia drivers in client PCs then I do with AMD ones. Also DX12 will become a thing faster than people think, just take a look at BF1 and Titanfall2; RX480 performances better in both games and this is a trend that will likely continue with triple A games in DX12.

At the end of the day it really comes down to your own personal use case scenario; if you are the type to upgrade every year then GTX1060 might be a better option for you, it has a few more FPS in DX11 games and Nvidia will probably implement better support for DX12 and Vulkan at a hardware level in their next line of cards. If you don't upgrade often then I suggest the 8GB RX480, even if its a couple of FPS behind in DX11, you won't notice a difference.

4 hours ago, Thread212 said:

Hi drake :) 

Both are great GPU. U wont regret anything if u buy them.

I have use them both but from my own experience i like the RX 480.

Even though i use 1060 because i have G-sync monitor.

You see RX 480 is faster than 1060 when both gpu are overclocked.

The main advantage for 480 is DX12,Vulkan API,Crossfire and also Free-Sync monitor which are a lot more cheaper than G-sync. but the crimson drivers drive me crazy. i think its because i always use nvidia gpu before.

While 1060 is better than 480 out of the box and their advantage is nvidia fast sync.

Won't lie, I expected you to recommend the 1060, I'd counter, and by the end of our discussion, the pros and cons of both would be well listed.

And

tumblr_nap1dp39q51rfim1qo1_500.png

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

With all the shitty drivers Nvidia are making right now, I would get a RX 480. A XFX GTR 480 Black is pretty much on par with a 1060 out of the box. I have seen 5 GTR 480 Black's and they have all OCed pretty well, to the point were they have beaten a 1060 in DX11 games, but not by much.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.