Can I just use a microfiber cloth to remove thermal paste

BtchImSway

Can I just use a microfiber cloth to remove thermal paste off my CPU or do I have to use isopropyl alcohol. I know it is probably a good idea to use alcohol but I'm inpatient over here.

1 minute ago, BtchImSway said:

Can I just use a microfiber cloth to remove thermal paste off my CPU or do I have to use isopropyl alcohol. I know it is probably a good idea to use alcohol but I'm inpatient over here.

if you want to ruin the cloth sure go for it

I lurk a lot

1 minute ago, BtchImSway said:

I would really use isopropyl alcohol, i'm sure you could get away with a microfiber cloth, but its better to be safe.

3 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

I would really use isopropyl alcohol, i'm sure you could get away with a microfiber cloth, but its better to be safe.

agree paste is Dar too viscous to be wiped off with a cloth, it needs some encouragement.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I've done it several times before and worked fine.  just don't expect to be using the cloth for anything else afterwards though.

I have cleaned off thermal paste with regular paper towels, never used alcohol. Haven't had any issues either.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

i honestly just use tissues to get rid of thermal paste, isopropyl alcohol is a great help but not *really* a necessity.

also, dont waste microfiber cloths on thermal paste, just be careful not to leave flocks of tissue behind xD

I never use alcohol to remove TP. Works  fine.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

You can if you manage to take it off properly, the alcohol just speeds up the process.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

A paper towel will work fine on it's own, no need to waste a microfiber cloth. Isopropyl makes the TIM come off easier but is not a necessity.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

What I usually use is a little cotton but with isopropyl alcohol on it or a microfiber cloth with a small amount of isopropyl alcohol on it wrap the cloth around the tip of my finger then wipe in circles I then machine wash my cloth and re-use the cloth I've had no problems with it so yea I'd say why not go for it but at the end of the day it's your choice . I find the cloth easier to use

You could, but like others have said, it's a one time thing.  Though I've always used alcohol and coffee filters personally.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Why are people these days re-inventing the wheel, Paper towel and isporpyl alcohol, gheez, close this thread :D

4 hours ago, manikyath said:

i honestly just use tissues to get rid of thermal paste, isopropyl alcohol is a great help but not *really* a necessity.

also, dont waste microfiber cloths on thermal paste, just be careful not to leave flocks of tissue behind xD

It would be better to use a soft cloth that won't risk breaking off little pieces that get left behind on your CPU.  That would just make an annoying mess to deal with...  

I think it's wise to hope for the best but plan for the worst.  In this case: assume someone might not be careful enough to avoid leaving little pieces of tissue behind and use something that cannot have that issue.  

Though perhaps something that is either meant to be disposable or could be cleaned after getting thermal compound on it.  

50 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

You could, but like others have said, it's a one time thing.  Though I've always used alcohol and coffee filters personally.

I'm curious, can you explain how you use a coffee filter to clean thermal compound off your CPU?  

6 hours ago, manikyath said:

At least use some decent paper towels. Tissues are basically designed to shed everywhere.

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

Honestly, unless you're going for world records, the whole "how to handle thermal paste" discussion is pointless. In most cases, if it looks clean, it's clean. I use a little alcohol and coffee filters out of habit because they're cheap and I can stash them away. Plus the alcohol works wonders for cleaning other stuff too. It also depends how old the paste is. Sometimes you need just a little liquid to soften it again.

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm curious, can you explain how you use a coffee filter to clean thermal compound off your CPU?  

Like some people use a paper towel.  Except a coffee filter works like a microfiber cloth (so no lint or residue left behind). 

You just buy a pack of coffee filters, use one or two to wipe off as much thermal paste as possible, then use alcohol with a couple of new coffee filters to really clean off the rest. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

48 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Like some people use a paper towel.  Except a coffee filter works like a microfiber cloth (so no lint or residue left behind). 

You just buy a pack of coffee filters, use one or two to wipe off as much thermal paste as possible, then use alcohol with a couple of new coffee filters to really clean off the rest. 

I mean with coffee filters shaped like a bowl I'm trying to imagine how you'd use one.  Sorry.  I'm a visual person so text descriptions sometines go over my head.  ?

I've only cleaned off thermal compound a few times but I've just used q-tips and that lemony scented Arctic clean or whatever it's called.  I worry about fluff getting left behind but it hasn't really been an issue.  

5 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It would be better to use a soft cloth that won't risk breaking off little pieces that get left behind on your CPU.  That would just make an annoying mess to deal with...  

i still dont understand how you guys have disintegrating tissues...

either i have godlike tissues, or you guys are a flipping ape when cleaning off your processor.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

i still dont understand how you guys have disintegrating tissues...

either i have godlike tissues, or you guys are a flipping ape when cleaning off your processor.

It is likely some tissues are worse than others.  What thermal compound each person is wiping off likely affects the chance of a tissue shredding if you use it.  

Bounty paper towel is great, thats all anyone should ever buy. Charmin and Bounty.

Now if you want little flakes of tissue on the floor that you got to clean up because you dont want to seem like a pig to your girlfriend or host, then by all means go with anything.

put the cpu in a bowl of water and rub it with your finger. im sure it will come off.

8 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I mean with coffee filters shaped like a bowl I'm trying to imagine how you'd use one.  Sorry.  I'm a visual person so text descriptions sometines go over my head.  ?

I've only cleaned off thermal compound a few times but I've just used q-tips and that lemony scented Arctic clean or whatever it's called.  I worry about fluff getting left behind but it hasn't really been an issue.  

Flatten it out like a plate and fold it in quarters, then you have a super cheap lint free cloth.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430