Cisco SG-300-28 Good beginner switch?

TheGeeker

I am just getting into the networking side of things and wanted to pick up an sg-300-28 port switch. (No POE or anything) Is this a good switch (Can get it for 80 USD)? I am a beginner with networking and want to do link aggregation with my FREENAS server.

Would another switch be better for my needs? 

Thanks

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

I think I've used used this in my uni network lab (can't remember the model off the top of my head), it was a solid switch. For that price, I would say it is a great deal if it has the features you need!

Looking at the datasheet, it has LACP and VLANs as well as some layer 3 capabilities too. I don't think you will really need much more than that for a starter switch.

Yes, I use an SG300-10. I picked it up since it was Layer 3, only down side is static routes only no OSPF etc but for the prices these go for can't really complain that much.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Yes, I use an SG300-10. I picked it up since it was Layer 3, only down side is static routes only no OSPF etc but for the prices these go for can't really complain that much.

It uses a GUi right? I am right now trying to get my CCNA cert and want a good jumping off point. I have access to a 2960 Plus Switch and the whole deal at my school so I do not want to spend the big bucks for personal use. Is it worth it to get the SG-300 vs a 2960

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

2 hours ago, PrikLY_CacTUs said:

I think I've used used this in my uni network lab (can't remember the model off the top of my head), it was a solid switch. For that price, I would say it is a great deal if it has the features you need!

Looking at the datasheet, it has LACP and VLANs as well as some layer 3 capabilities too. I don't think you will really need much more than that for a starter switch.

Do you know if I am getting my CCNA (like just started in high school) will I outgrow this quickly? I have access to high end cisco gear at school

I would say it's a good beginner switch since it does have the GUI, it's easier to do stuff compared to the CLI when you are just getting started. The CCNA is a great starting point and depending on how quickly you plan to progress you could outgrow it fairly quickly or, if it's just for personal/home use it could be good for a while. Just because you have a GUI based switch doesn't mean it won't still be useful as you progress, so long as you have access to good equipment at school that can help reinforce your learning.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 hours ago, TheGeeker said:

It uses a GUi right? I am right now trying to get my CCNA cert and want a good jumping off point. I have access to a 2960 Plus Switch and the whole deal at my school so I do not want to spend the big bucks for personal use. Is it worth it to get the SG-300 vs a 2960

Yes it has web GUI and console also. The two switches have quite different focuses and are in different product segments, the SG300 is a small business series switch and the 2960 Plus is part of the Cisco enterprise campus switching series of switches. There are extra features that the SG300 has that the 2960 Plus does not have (basic layer 3) but is designed for smaller networks with lower utilization with the expectation that separate layer 2 and layer 3 switches may not be required or is too costly.

Both are good but you have to look at what you want, is this just for training equipment or is it for a core part of your home network, if it's the latter I'd put my vote down for the SG300.

9 hours ago, TheGeeker said:

Do you know if I am getting my CCNA (like just started in high school) will I outgrow this quickly? I have access to high end cisco gear at school

Not likely, it has every feature and configuration option any person or medium scale network would need.

To give you some kind of reference my network at home has multiple different VLANs, firewall segments and site-to-site VPN. My SG300 has an IBM x3500 M4 connected to it running ESXi with a 4x1G LAG (LACP) then the switch connects to my FortiGate 60D firewall, between this firewall there is a S2S VPN to a Ubnt Edgerouter Lite configured in layer 3 VTI mode so fully routed. My network uses OSPF routing cos why not.

Basically I can't see an SG300 limiting you in any way other than specific features that are covered in CCNA that are not implemented in the switch, it has been many years since I've done CCNA so can't say if there is any but I think it would be fairly unlikely.

If no one has mentioned it yet, GNS3 is a great training resource for CCNA Routing and ASA Firewall training. It will get you a long ways toward a R+S CCNA or CCNA Security certification. 

4 hours ago, Brightglaive said:

If no one has mentioned it yet, GNS3 is a great training resource for CCNA Routing and ASA Firewall training. It will get you a long ways toward a R+S CCNA or CCNA Security certification. 

That or if you are willing to go a little more into things and feel you'll be going for then CCNP and beyond then look into VIRL and Packet. The two of them work together to help you create virtual environments of routers and switches for about $100/year

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: