Is there a way to set CPU clock to max WITH speedstep enabled?

Hey guys,

I have an i7 6800k overclocked to 4.2GHz. I have Intel speedstep enabled, since I do not want my processor to run at full even though im just idleing. Turboboost is also enabled.

Now my question:

When I play games, my cpu never reaches 4,2GHz, but only around 3,8-4GHz, since games definitely do not use a 6 core cpu enough. How can I make it so whenever the cpu usage reaches a certain minimum (e.g. 20%), it automatically goes up to the full 4,2GHz? In other words, speedstep should stay enabled, however at even lower loads it should go up to 4,2.

Best regards,

Rankhole!

i dont think you can tune speedstep that way

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I have the same problem with my 6500... It just stays at 3.2 and never ramps up to the 3.6 that's supposed to be the turbo boost frequency. I mean I could be stressing this to a 100% and it just stays at the base freq

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Why you want to use that way?
Its up to Game optimization and CPU utilization that how game will use your CPU according to the current sittuation.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

Certain games only use let's say 20% of my cpu. Now speedstep decides that therefore the cpu does not need to run at full speed. THAT means the game runs slower, since with a higher frequency per core it would run faster.

This is why I want to have 4,2GHz whenever im somewhat in a load.

Maybe the game does not have that much work for the CPU, therefor it's clock is not pushed that high. It isn't necessarily bottlenecking the game.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

It is. Some games only utilize 2 cores. Turning down my clockspeed to 2GHz for example will obviously result in lower FPS since then there is a severe bottleneck. That goes the other way around as well, when I up it to 4,2GHz, I'll get better performance.

IF the games were to use all cores, then of course what you say makes sence. But they don't.

5 minutes ago, Rankhole said:

It is. Some games only utilize 2 cores. Turning down my clockspeed to 2GHz for example will obviously result in lower FPS since then there is a severe bottleneck. That goes the other way around as well, when I up it to 4,2GHz, I'll get better performance.

IF the games were to use all cores, then of course what you say makes sence. But they don't.

I thought the cores could change clock independently like AMD does. I also thought turbo boost was where one core could overclock if the other cores were not busy and the CPU was under a temperature limit

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Why not set custom turbo?  4.4 on 1 core,  4.3 on 2 cores,  4.2 up to 4 cores etc

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case