Best CPU cooling that fits MSI Nightblade MI2/MI2C case

Hi all,

I will be getting my MSI Nightblade Mi2c in the next couple of days and was just wondering, if someone tried replacing the stock heatsing with blower type fan into something more efficient?

I am wondering, what best/biggest CPU cooler can fit into this case?

I have I7 6700 and 1070 GPU.

Thanks!

Judging by the size of it from picture, you'd have to get someone super low profile like a Noctua NH-L9i.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

This much I know.

I was wondering if there is an owner of this case and his/her experiences with upgrading the CPU cooling.

If not, I may very well be the first one to attempt changing the CPU cooler to something other and describe my experiences here :)

For what reason are you replacing the cooler?

You need to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

For what reason are you replacing the cooler?

You need to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The reason is, that (believe it or not) I want to use this little beast to do some BOINC crunching in the free time.

GPU temp and noise is not my concern because it does not get > 62 degrees with 50% fans (MSI 1070 Armor).

At 100% Crunching (4 threads) + GPU crunching generating heat, the little blower fan gets very noisy and the cpu temps get to the level of 70-80 degrees Celsius (21 degrees ambient), with which I am not comfortable (temp and noise). This is even after applying Prolimatech PK-3 to the CPU heatsink. 

My reasons are mostly acoustic but if I could improve on the temperature field as well, I would not mind.

I am thinking about Noctua NH-L12 without the top fan, but I have no idea if it will fit. Will need to do some measurements.

10 hours ago, un hombre said:

The reason is, that (believe it or not) I want to use this little beast to do some BOINC crunching in the free time.

GPU temp and noise is not my concern because it does not get > 62 degrees with 50% fans (MSI 1070 Armor).

At 100% Crunching (4 threads) + GPU crunching generating heat, the little blower fan gets very noisy and the cpu temps get to the level of 70-80 degrees Celsius (21 degrees ambient), with which I am not comfortable (temp and noise). This is even after applying Prolimatech PK-3 to the CPU heatsink. 

My reasons are mostly acoustic but if I could improve on the temperature field as well, I would not mind.

I am thinking about Noctua NH-L12 without the top fan, but I have no idea if it will fit. Will need to do some measurements.

Those temps are fine. Changing thermal paste won't make much of a difference.

Which parts are too loud?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

19 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Those temps are fine. Changing thermal paste won't make much of a difference.

Which parts are too loud?

The actual CPU blower. It is a proprietary blower for the CPU cooling in nightblade MI2.

I am not sure if 80 degrees on CPU is good for 24/7? Isn't Tcase 71 degrees for those CPU's?

I guess I will not pursue this cause, anymore. I have ramped up the 80 mm noctua intake cooler to 50%, instead of PWM. Now the temperatures are 10 degrees lower.

The problem is GPU generates lots of heat and this alone increases CPU temps significantly, in this small 10 litre case.

I will see if it is possible to somehow put a 120 mm noctua fan inside. The case is 127 mm wide so it may be impossible or really tight :)

stress_test.jpg

13 hours ago, un hombre said:

The actual CPU blower. It is a proprietary blower for the CPU cooling in nightblade MI2.

I am not sure if 80 degrees on CPU is good for 24/7? Isn't Tcase 71 degrees for those CPU's?

I guess I will not pursue this cause, anymore. I have ramped up the 80 mm noctua intake cooler to 50%, instead of PWM. Now the temperatures are 10 degrees lower.

The problem is GPU generates lots of heat and this alone increases CPU temps significantly, in this small 10 litre case.

I will see if it is possible to somehow put a 120 mm noctua fan inside. The case is 127 mm wide so it may be impossible or really tight :)

80c is fine for core temps. Tcase refer to IHS which runs cooler than the cores. 

Do you know how much clearance you have for cooler height? A NH-L9i might work.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

80c is fine for core temps. Tcase refer to IHS which runs cooler than the cores. 

Do you know how much clearance you have for cooler height? A NH-L9i might work.

It is a tricky one to answer. I was trying to measure it without disassembling the whole thing again (taking out the GPU is a PITA) and it seems, that the height clearance is around 65 mm, so 60 mm would be max.

From what I managed to gather and estimate, NH-L9i would a good fit, even, if I replace the low profile fan with a full, standard 25 mm thick Noctua. This would give me extra cooling.

From what I could see on the internet, it would give me more less the same temperatures with lower noise.

According to BIOS, current CPU blower ramps up to 45% at 78 C and 60% to 80 C. At 60% this thing is loud...

Thanks.