FX 6350 OC Advice

Hi everyone. I've been working on my OC with my FX 6350. I'm up to 4.5 GHz, but cannot seem to get 4.6 to work. Everything will boot up, but the best I've been able to manage is about 5 minutes in Prime95 before it locking up.

CPU: FX 6350 Black

MB: MSI 970 Gaming

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1866 x4 4GB (16GB total)

Cooler: Corsair H100i V2

GPU: MSI R9 380 Gaming 4GB

PSU: OCz 700watt

I'm currently at a Core Voltage of 1.45 (which I think is a little high, but temps don't seem bad at all), Multiplier of 22.5. I haven't touched HT Multiplier or NB multiplier yet. I had to put those back to default to get 4.5 to work correctly. RAM is down clocked to 1600. I've been reading a lot on OC, watched many videos, and have an understanding of what I'm doing. I'm still not a pro by any means. I was hoping for advice on what techniques I could try to push a little more to 4.6. I know these chips can go further, but I also understand the concept of the chips individuality. I'm pretty happy with 4.5, but I'd like a little more bang for my buck.

I've tried overvolting, and find myself with faster crash times in Prime95. I've heard about more stability with FSB increases, but haven't been able to get that to work at all. I know I need to increase other voltages, but which ones correspond to which? HT and NB voltages are on automatic, and I'm not sure what the default voltages are. Are these important? Have I neglected them?

Again, any suggestions, guidance, and reference material would be greatly appreciated.

you have hit my limit for stable gaming that I have with the 8120. I can't remember the voltage i set because I don't OC it anymore but i think it was around yours. I did buy higher frequency RAM than I needed with high latency so that might be why mine was stable and yours isn't?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

if your chip cant do 4.6GHz it just cant basically, dont push the voltage more, take that down a bit tbh. my I5 4690K can do 4.8-4.9 im pretty sure but i would have to run 1.4V and temps are almost getting out of hand already at 4.7GHz lol but basically your chip just cant do 4.6GHz it seems

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 hours ago, Strike105X said:

Basic guidelines for best OC results with FX chips (i'm not used to Uefi AMD bios's right now so until i dive into building and tweaking my new FX PC this week i can't give anything more concrete):

1. Be sure to set everything back to default values (including CPU).

2. set Ram speed to 1333 while using the timings of 1600, maybe even bump them to 1.6v

3. Bump the memory controller voltage (needed for HT multiplier oc)

4. Start overclocking via HT while also keeping an eye on voltages,

5. After getting the most out of HT overclocking dial up the multiplier.

Basically this is how i got my FX4300 past 4.4 Ghz, and even to 5 Ghz.

I will try with the HT settings as well. Default us HT with 11 multiplier, do I just keep raising that until it doesn't function properly? Never heard of HT OC before

15 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

Have you got amd turbo core off, and what is your llc setting at ?

Yes, turbo core is off. My board doesn't have LLC I think. I have Enable CPU protrction, which I guess auto down clocks. I'll post screenshots of my BIOS screen.

14 hours ago, Strike105X said:

AMD can actually be volted higher, and his got a good cooler, it works even with 1.5v with good cooling, though i know someone who took a FX6300 all the way to 1.575v and has been running it like that for years. Plus on AMD's side there is the option of HT overclock, similar to BCLK on intel's side, its one of the things i like about AMD, that you can also OC with that and your not limited with it as you are on most intel platforms.

So maybe go a little higher? Temps on my Socket are only near mid 70's. MSI told me it can go up to 90 and be safe. 90 is max.so I'm not close there. All other temps are totally fine.

20 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

I dunno what MSI told you but for CPU officially from AMD 61C is the maximum operating safe temperature for this chip, but it was discovered that for safety they did take out 10C so the actual number is 70C.The HT overclock i mentioned is the FSB method, on AMD side though its actually called HT, FSB and BCLK are just more widely spread names due to intel's influence, but its pretty much the same type of overclocking. You may not actually need the same high voltage even actually, like i said before even starting you need to configure ram as i said there and bump the voltage a bit on the memory controller first, i found it to be a limiting factor in many OC scenarios even though it shouldn't be. I had high voltage settings myself before using that method, but after that method i ended up with just 1.38v for v. core, of course not all chips are the same but there might be an improvement for you as well. 

And sorry, not socket temps, NB temps. My bad. Does that make a difference?socket stays about mid 50s t0 low 60s while I game. CPU never gets past midnight 50s with the H100i.