Fallout 4 FPS cap?

Nashiwa

Hey guys!

So I seem to have a little problem with Fallout 4. A few weeks ago I noticed that my game was capped at 60 fps, so I went into my NVIDIA card control panel and changed the preffered refresh rate to "As high as possible", which brought the game to 144 fps (which was perfect for my 144hz monitor).

But a few days ago, after installing the latest update for my drivers (GeForce Game Ready Driver v.376.09), the FPS cap is back but this time it's around 75 fps for some reason. I checked the config in the NVIDIA control panel and everything was fine this time, so I don't understand why I'm capped.

I haven't changed any of the ingame settings before installing the driver so the problem doesn't come from there.

Any suggestions?

Maybe revert to older versions?

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Maybe revert to older versions?

Maybe, but 1) I'd have to search how and 2) I'd rather keep my system up to date and simply solve the problem.

I don't recommend going above 60fps in FO4. IIRC, there are issues if you go above 60fps.

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

12 hours ago, Nashiwa said:

Hey guys!

So I seem to have a little problem with Fallout 4. A few weeks ago I noticed that my game was capped at 60 fps, so I went into my NVIDIA card control panel and changed the preffered refresh rate to "As high as possible", which brought the game to 144 fps (which was perfect for my 144hz monitor).

But a few days ago, after installing the latest update for my drivers (GeForce Game Ready Driver v.376.09), the FPS cap is back but this time it's around 75 fps for some reason. I checked the config in the NVIDIA control panel and everything was fine this time, so I don't understand why I'm capped.

I haven't changed any of the ingame settings before installing the driver so the problem doesn't come from there.

Any suggestions?

Unfortunately the Fallout games are stupidly tied to the frame rate and designed with 30-60 fps in mind, when you go over 60 FPS things start to break and the game starts going crazy.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

48 minutes ago, Ddave said:

I don't recommend going above 60fps in FO4. IIRC, there are issues if you go above 60fps.

30 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

Unfortunately the Fallout games are stupidly tied to the frame rate and designed with 30-60 fps in mind, when you go over 60 FPS things start to break and the game starts going crazy.

Fallout 4 was patched to support high refresh rate monitors a long time ago.

Try using Nvidia Inspector (separate program to download) @Nashiwa

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Trust me, keep it at 75fps. That's a good framerate without the physics going haywire.
Watch some youtube vids to see what I'm on about.
Just search fallout 4 high frame rate physics.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

4 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

No it wasn't.
You can use high refresh rate but not high framerate.
People tested and I think it's something like 80-90 fps max without it going crazy.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

3 hours ago, leelaa14 said:

No it wasn't.
You can use high refresh rate but not high framerate.
People tested and I think it's something like 80-90 fps max without it going crazy.

I've played over 20 hours at 144 fps without any problems.

8 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I will keep that in mind thanks!

In fact, I noticed a few hours ago that my vsync was not configured to adaptative, so I changed it and now I'm back to 144 fps. It was pretty fun btw, I tried turning it off completely and the fps counter included in Steam told me I was at 2500 fps!

8 minutes ago, Nashiwa said:

I've played over 20 hours at 144 fps without any problems.

I will keep that in mind thanks!

In fact, I noticed a few hours ago that my vsync was not configured to adaptative, so I changed it and now I'm back to 144 fps. It was pretty fun btw, I tried turning it off completely and the fps counter included in Steam told me I was at 2500 fps!

The problems aren't as drastic as skyrim. But I assure you they are there.
Faster player movement and increased physics speed.
But if you haven't noticed it then obviously stay as you are.

1 hour ago, leelaa14 said:

The problems aren't as drastic as skyrim. But I assure you they are there.
Faster player movement and increased physics speed.
But if you haven't noticed it then obviously stay as you are.

I will assure you that playing at 144 fps when you have a 144Hz monitor  does not result in those issues. Bethesda put a separate cap on the physics FPS which is still capped at 60.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

56 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I will assure you that playing at 144 fps when you have a 144Hz monitor  does not result in those issues. Bethesda put a separate cap on the physics FPS which is still capped at 60.

You're wrong.
And if that was the ca\se then why does the new skyrim still have these physics issues, considering it's now using fallout 4 engine.

Well, i don't know about 144fps, but i play at 75 fps and can say surely that it is fine (I have more than 100h of Gameplay)

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

Just now, Taja said:

Well, i don't know about 144fps, but i play at 75 fps and can say surely that it is fine (I have more than 100h of Gameplay)

Like I said, 75 is fine. Up to probably 80 or 90 is good.

6 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

You're wrong.
And if that was the ca\se then why does the new skyrim still have these physics issues, considering it's now using fallout 4 engine.

I'm not wrong, you just refuse to accept the fact that they patched it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4ht6m2/ok_i_keep_seeing_this_misconception_about_fallout/

Skyrim SE actually received the engine upgrade first since it was actually a practice project. Basically so they would have experience with the new engine before working on Fallout 4. Bethesda were idiots and didn't include it from release but that was also patched in version 1.3 I believe.

57 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I'm not wrong, you just refuse to accept the fact that they patched it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4ht6m2/ok_i_keep_seeing_this_misconception_about_fallout/

Skyrim SE actually received the engine upgrade first since it was actually a practice project. Basically so they would have experience with the new engine before working on Fallout 4. Bethesda were idiots and didn't include it from release but that was also patched in version 1.3 I believe.

Ok, so yeah, I appolagise, keeping at your refresh rate works fine. But going higher sends it crazy as hell. Obviously going higher is pointless anyway.
Just tested on my 144hz monitor.
I just unlocked the framerate and going to 180-200+ speeds everything up by a huge amount

So that wipes out the physics framerate is locked argument.
So we was both wrong and right.