i7-3770 vs i5 6400K

Hi there!

I am buying a new (used) rig to save some money and I have two different choices at the moment. 

I have a GTX 970 4gb VRAM already, but I dont have the rest. The PC is going to be used primarily for gaming of new titles (BF1) and old ones like CS:GO.

One of the rigs that I can buy used has a i7 3770. The other one has a i5 6400K. Ive been looking at ARK, and it seems to me that the only drawback of choosing the i7, is the limitation in RAM (32 GB) vs the i5 that has 64 GB max. 

They cost about the same. Which one should I chose?

PS: first post, non-english speaker so exquiiiize me for zhe bad English.

There is no i5 6400K CPU.

You either have i5 6400 or i5 6600k.

For gaming, and pairing it with GTX 970, I would suggest you to get the cheaper one.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

It was i5-6400. Im trying to get this quite cheap, so im browsing "craigs list" for package deals and hardware. People who have bought the newest i5´s tend to ask for A LOT of money for their "top end gaming rigs". I thought the specs of the previously mentioned i7 looked quite good. I am probably just quite fresh at this and dont know what im looking at but isnt 4 cores "all you need" for gaming? or does BF1 utilize more?

Budgetwise im looking to spend about 586 US dollars (5000 NOK) total for the rest of the rig. I got GPU, 16 GB DDR3 RAM and peripherals. 

5 minutes ago, ekleduden said:

It was i5-6400. Im trying to get this quite cheap, so im browsing "craigs list" for package deals and hardware. People who have bought the newest i5´s tend to ask for A LOT of money for their "top end gaming rigs". I thought the specs of the previously mentioned i7 looked quite good. I am probably just quite fresh at this and dont know what im looking at but isnt 4 cores "all you need" for gaming? or does BF1 utilize more?

Budgetwise im looking to spend about 586 US dollars (5000 NOK) total for the rest of the rig. I got GPU, 16 GB DDR3 RAM and peripherals. 

Unless the ram you have is DDR3L, you can't use it with skylakes (6400, etc). So unless you want to buy new ram as well you should stick with that i7 3770. Also the if the only purpose you're planning this rig is to game it makes no difference if your ram is capped at 32 or 64gb. You can easilly get by with 8gb but I think the suggested (at least what I see in many posts) is 16gb.

CPU: i5 6600k @4.5GHz | GPU Zotac Amp! 1070 | RAM: Corsair vengeance 16gb | Storage: Corsair Force LE 240gb +480gb | Case: Corsair Carbide Clear C400 | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Cooler: H110i GTX

i7 3770k is better than a i5 6500. Upgrading to a i5 6600k wouldnt give you much benefit for the price, and so there's no reason to switch unless you want a i7 6700k. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD