chipset letters

Go to solution Solved by BrinkGG,
5 minutes ago, happy57110 said:

so can someone explain what the letters before and after the chipset number? for example i see a z170 and a z170a and a z170i what do the last letters mean? and there is also h170 and h170m. what do the letters before and after the number mean?

So the number before is the chipset skew. So for intel, you can only overclock on Z series, H series is budget with some high end features, and B series is budget or business. The letters directly after usually tell you what form factor. For example, a Z170M board is an mATX board. If it has no letter, its probably ATX. Letters after that are usually up to the manufacturer. So Z170M-A, H150-V are ways that they delineate which version it is. 

so can someone explain what the letters before and after the chipset number? for example i see a z170 and a z170a and a z170i what do the last letters mean? and there is also h170 and h170m. what do the letters before and after the number mean?

h170m means it is a micro atx form factor while h170 is an atx form factor

the beginning letter means

H - No overclocking, No SLI

Q,Z,X,P - Overclockable

B - Non overclockable, business

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

h170m means it is a micro atx form factor while h170 is an atx form factor

the beginning letter means

H - No overclocking, No SLI

Q,Z,X,P - Overclockable

B - Non overclockable, business

1 minute ago, g12601 said:

what do the letters after the names mean? like z170a and z170 pro?

5 minutes ago, happy57110 said:

So the number before is the chipset skew. So for intel, you can only overclock on Z series, H series is budget with some high end features, and B series is budget or business. The letters directly after usually tell you what form factor. For example, a Z170M board is an mATX board. If it has no letter, its probably ATX. Letters after that are usually up to the manufacturer. So Z170M-A, H150-V are ways that they delineate which version it is. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 minute ago, happy57110 said:

different versions of the mobo with additional features

Just now, happy57110 said:

Nobody knows...

I think it's just some extra stuff the board manufacture put in.