Motherboard Failing?

Hello community, Yesterday I noticed that when my pc is in sleep mode as well as completely shut down and even when the power cable is taken out of the back of the psu that the rear exhaust ring led fan is still getting power to it and running.  Not only that but the water cooler fans are running as well, although i can not tell how much because of the way the radiator is setup, but i can feel air coming out from the top of the case. I have no idea how this can happen if there is absolutely no power going from an outlet to the psu.  Any help on this problem would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Sorry, what?  The fans are running when the computer is not plugged in?  This sounds like a miracle tbh, could you shoot a video proving it?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

The PC isn't running but the fans are getting power somehow.  Yes i can get a video up at some point.  

4 minutes ago, StarbuckStanley said:

Hello community, Yesterday I noticed that when my pc is in sleep mode as well as completely shut down and even when the power cable is taken out of the back of the psu that the rear exhaust ring led fan is still getting power to it and running.  Not only that but the water cooler fans are running as well, although i can not tell how much because of the way the radiator is setup, but i can feel air coming out from the top of the case. I have no idea how this can happen if there is absolutely no power going from an outlet to the psu.  Any help on this problem would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

maybe its built up electricity from a capacitor? i have a similar situation in my pc where a few leds wont turn off untill 10 minutes later after my pc is plugged out. but i doubt it would cause fans to spin.

now that i look at it, i have the exact same motherboard as you. A asus z170-A right?

except the thing is they wont shut off.  The fan led stays lit and spins for as long as it is shut off.

There must be some kinda battery or something, what is the PSU? Is it one of those ones that have a battery to let you finish work quickly while a power outage happens? Did you completely unplug it and make sure there is no RF power transmitters nearby either. 

Yours faithfully

9 minutes ago, StarbuckStanley said:

it is totally unplugged, i took a video trying to get it posted on here 

are the fans connected to an externally powered hub?

Yours faithfully

yes the fans are connected to the nzxt's case fan hub.  but all power to case/motherboard is cut off.

3 minutes ago, StarbuckStanley said:

0THQmFM.jpg

Well the laws of physics state that it must be getting power from somewhere... we need to consider every possible source.

1 minute ago, StarbuckStanley said:

yes the fans are connected to the nzxt's case fan hub.  but all power to case/motherboard is cut off.

well is that hub powered in any way?  Batteries?  External connector? Anything that isn't the PSU?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

What the actual fuck, there is no way a 3 v back up battery could run them but remove in anycase, and wave bye bye to your CMOS settigns

Yours faithfully

no it's the NZXT's fan hub that is only powered when connected to a power cable think molex from the psu

so i took the fans power cable from the Case's included fan hub and connected the fan directly to a motherboard fan header.  That seemed to do the trick. somehow the fan hub was getting power well at least enough to keep an LED on as well as keeping the fan going around at a slow speed.  Makes no sense to me.

There must be residual charge remaining in the capacitors. Get a voltmeter and measure the output of the PSUs various rails (powered and otherwise) and you will soon find out.

I bet that PSU is faulty.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.