1080p@144hz VS 1440p@60hz(strawpoll)

JTB7

It all depends on use case. What kind of games do you play? a quality 1080p 144hz monitor is great for FPS games, while 1440p is excellent for productivity and RPG games like fallout 4. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

I've got a 1440p 144hz monitor I got refurb for $300. My 1070 can't keep it at 144hz of course, but it stays over 70 at a minimum, which is really all I wanted. 

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

2 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

It all depends on use case. What kind of games do you play? a quality 1080p 144hz monitor is great for FPS games, while 1440p is excellent for productivity and RPG games like fallout 4. 

Hmm I don't quite agree.

I personally see no use in buying an -expensive- 1080p monitor at the moment.

Seeing that most people will upgrade their GPU in another 2-3 years - I think 1440p is the only thing to buy right now, even if its "just" 60hz.

Even if you play CS:GO casually, I dont believe for a second that your gameplay will improve from 100 to 144hz. Your skill/reaction time runs out way before the frames do - but thats just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, DaMainMan said:

Hmm I don't quite agree.

Seeing that most people will upgrade their GPU in another 2-3 years - I think 1440p is the only thing to buy right now, even if its "just" 60hz.

Even if you play CS:GO casually, I dont believe for a second that your gameplay will improve from 100 to 144hz. Your skill/reaction time runs out way before the frames do - but thats just my opinion.

Depends on your eye. To me anything 60 or greater fps looks fine, and even 45 is fine as long as it's steady, but some people can see a real difference between that and 144 and they're bothered by being capped at 60.

#theyrejustspoiled

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

Just now, DaMainMan said:

Hmm I don't quite agree.

I 100% agree with you. However, I find that when playing competitive FPS games, smoothness matters way more than resolution. A lot of people even stretch 4:3 which makes the game look pretty garbage, further showing that resolution isnt important. The smoother ones game is, the more precise they can be. Sure, i am talking about minuscule differences, but my skill in games - both perceived and statistically - has improved with the purchase of a 144hz monitor. 

In addition, 144hz monitors arent that expensive currently. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

8 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

I 100% agree with you. However, I find that when playing competitive FPS games, smoothness matters way more than resolution. A lot of people even stretch 4:3 which makes the game look pretty garbage, further showing that resolution isnt important. The smoother ones game is, the more precise they can be. Sure, i am talking about minuscule differences, but my skill in games - both perceived and statistically - has improved with the purchase of a 144hz monitor. 

In addition, 144hz monitors arent that expensive currently. 

I mean if you have the statistics to back it up - I won't doubt you.

But I personally like to compare it to motorsport:

Of course you can buy slick tires, racing exhaust, spoiler, transmission and suspension - but in the end of the day you wont have to motoring skill to make use of them.

Would Lewis Hamilton be able to? Probably. Would the average Joe? No.

I think its the same in competitive FPS -> Pros that play 16 hours a day will make use of it. The Kid who plays 3 hours a day? No.

3 minutes ago, DaMainMan said:

I mean if you have the statistics to back it up - I won't doubt you.

But I personally like to compare it to motorsport:

Of course you can buy slick tires, racing exhaust, spoiler, transmission and suspension - but in the end of the day you wont have to motoring skill to make use of them.

Would Lewis Hamilton be able to? Probably. Would the average Joe? No.

I think its the same in competitive FPS -> Pros that play 16 hours a day will make use of it. The Kid who plays 3 hours a day? No.

Even if you can't notice the fps bump, if they have the same gtg time, a 144hz monitor will on average get new information to your brain faster than a 60hz monitor, which will help your response time, even if only a little. But that aside, if your eye can tell the difference, it might even just be better to go 144hz for the perceived smoothness you gain. All up to what he values.

Smooth transitions or better per frame quality.