7970 vs GTX 770

Camsung

I just ordered a 7970 DirectCU II yesterday, and then JUST found out that the GTX 770 will be getting a $70 price cut >< I am now trying to justify my purchase of the 7970 with reasons why it is better than the 770, but I can't seem to think of any. Could you guys help me out :D

I am going to get a 280x, the same price as the 770, but better

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Lol, we posted our posts around the same time, concerning almost the same topic :P

I am now also looking at the 770, which has decreased in price by quite a bit.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

I just ordered a 7970 DirectCU II yesterday, and then JUST found out that the GTX 770 will be getting a $70 price cut >< I am now trying to justify my purchase of the 7970 with reasons why it is better than the 770, but I can't seem to think of any. Could you guys help me out :D

GTX 770 is faster than 7970, but has less vram. (unless you're taking the 4GB version then it has more vram of course).

GTX 770 is Kepler so you get to use Shadowplay. It's nvidia card so you get PhysX as well as 3 top notch games in the bundle (AC IV, Splinter Cell Blacklist and Batman Arkham Origins). 

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

More VRAM meaning it will last longer, far superior compute performance and comes with free games (better ones xD )

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

GTX 770 is faster than 7970, but has less vram. (unless you're taking the 4GB version then it has more vram of course).

GTX 770 is Kepler so you get to use Shadowplay. It's nvidia card so you get PhysX as well as 3 top notch games in the bundle (AC IV, Splinter Cell Blacklist and Batman Arkham Origins). 

The 4GB one is irrelevant since the memory bus isn't large enough >_<

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

When will the 3GB frame buffer actually be useful?

The 4GB one is irrelevant since the memory bus isn't large enough >_<

Stop spreading this false information... it's like saying that GTX 660 can't use 2GB vram or Titan can't use 6GB of vram...

You're wrong, get over it. It can use all the vram.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

Stop spreading this false information... it's like saying that GTX 660 can't use 2GB vram or Titan can't use 6GB of vram...

You're wrong, get over it. It can use all the vram.

The 680 can use all 2GB but it can't use all 4 because it's memory bus can't handle it and in regards to the Titan I praised Nvidia for creating a chip with the ability to use so much VRAM in such a small memory bus and such a low memory clock , what are you talking about false information? I belive you are the one spreading false information ._.

The 680 can use all 2GB but it can't use all 4 because it's memory bus can't handle it and in regards to the Titan I praised Nvidia for creating a chip with the ability to use so much VRAM in such a small memory bus and such a low memory clock , what are you talking about false information? I belive you are the one spreading false information ._.

Lol I don't think you have a single source that backs up your claims with 770 not being able to use more than 2GB ;)

It will take few nanoseconds longer to reach the other 2GB of Vram, perhaps, but memory bus is not everything, the banwidth itself is more important and, surprise surprise:

(clock * 4 * memory bus) divided by 8 = banwidth in bytes/second.

GTX 770 or 680 or 760 whatever CAN use ALL the vram, albeit it will take a few nanoseconds longer to reach the vram but it is MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCh better than not having the additional vram at all (in case you run into vram bottleneck).

Lol I don't think you have a single source that backs up your claims with 770 not being able to use more than 2GB ;)

It will take few nanoseconds longer to reach the other 2GB of Vram, perhaps, but memory bus is not everything, the banwidth itself is more important and, surprise surprise:

(clock * 4 * memory bus) divided by 8 = banwidth in bytes/second.

GTX 770 or 680 or 760 whatever CAN use ALL the vram, albeit it will take a few nanoseconds longer to reach the vram but it is MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCh better than not having the additional vram at all (in case you run into vram bottleneck).

I am not having an argument with you, I've posted my sources in my thread and I've already requested that Linus himself further test the hypothesis that not only myself but others (including reviewers/unboxers) have come to.

I am not having an argument with you, I've posted my sources in my thread and I've already requested that Linus himself further test the hypothesis that not only myself but others (including reviewers/unboxers) have come to.

Hypothesis... right.

lol.

If you don't have proof that Titan can't use 6GB (and we have proof that it can), please stop sharing false information about GTX 760 or 770 NOT being able to fully utilize 4GB of Vram... because it is just stupid.

You have no proof and your own thread contains no information except your own thoughts which proves nothing.

Also I'm sorry to destroy your life:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/quadro-desktop-gpu-specs-uk.html

Just take a look how bandwidth and memory bus of these GPUs don't stop them from having multiple Gigabytes of vRAM wired up per memory controller.

:ph34r:

OK lets make it simple:

GET AN NVIDEA!!! 

I had the chance to test Gsync…. its so awesome. Joust watch linus videos about it he goes totally crazy about that technology. I am going crazy to.

But wait a month ore so! The market is going crazy right now the AMD vs Nvidea battle going on right now. I am expecting some price drops on the nvidea side after they release the 780ti.

As always AMD cards come in very cheap but are on one level with Nvidea. We have seen such things for years now.

Want to save some bugs?Wit a month ore so!

Hypothesis... right.

lol.

If you don't have proof that Titan can't use 6GB (and we have proof that it can), please stop sharing false information about GTX 760 or 770 NOT being able to fully utilize 4GB of Vram... because it is just stupid.

You have no proof and your own thread contains no information except your own thoughts which proves nothing.

UMM I SAID THE TITAN CAN USE 6GB.

Please read my posts properly I praised Nvidia for creating a chip that can use more VRAM than it's memory bus and memory clocks should allow it to use.

READ MY POSTS PROPERLY OR I WILL BE FORCED TO USE CAPITALS TO HIGHLIGHT THE IMPORTANT INFORMATION.

You're being a bad fanboy as in this situation I'm praising Nvidia and you're saying I'm wrong? :/

UMM I SAID THE TITAN CAN USE 6GB.

Please read my posts properly I praised Nvidia for creating a chip that can use more VRAM than it's memory bus and memory clocks should allow it to use.

READ MY POSTS PROPERLY OR I WILL BE FORCED TO USE CAPITALS TO HIGHLIGHT THE IMPORTANT INFORMATION.

You're being a bad fanboy as in this situation I'm praising Nvidia and you're saying I'm wrong? :/

Still no proof why wouldn't 770 or 760 or 680 be able to use more than 2GB of vram. I showed you a link to quadro specification where there clearly are variations of GK104 (i'm reffering just the cuda cores count and memory bus) where they got 4GB of vram with even lower banwidth than that of 680 or 770 ;)

Still no proof why wouldn't 770 or 760 or 680 be able to use more than 2GB of vram. I showed you a link to quadro specification where there clearly are variations of GK104 (i'm reffering just the cuda cores count and memory bus) where they got 4GB of vram with even lower banwidth than that of 680 or 770 ;)

BTW: http://www.amazon.de/gtx-770-4gb/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=gtx%20770%204gb&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Agtx%20770%204gbMANY 4GB versions of the 770

and http://www.amazon.de/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=gtx+760+4gb&tag=hyddemsn-21&index=aps&hvadid=2971375577&ref=pd_sl_3oeixfr3pf_e Many versions of the 760 with 4GB

BTW2: I am NOT AN FANBOY FROM NVIDEA/AMD (good idea @Kuzma) This post is written on a PC with AMD card (HD 6850). Later today I will game on an other AMD Sysem (Phenom II x4 + Hd 7950) 

but my earlier PC was an Nvidea (480)

And why the … are you bitching about Memory in a thread which is about R9 270 vs GTX 770?

The 770 is NOT faster than the 7970.
scatter-99th-780cuts.png
They perform EXACTLY the same, the 7970 is still less expensive,has more memory, supports Mantle, HDAO, HBAO and has far superior compute performance.

When will the 3GB frame buffer actually be useful?

The 770 suffers because of its 2GB of memory, when the card runs out of VRAM it pages out the data to the system memory, which is 5 fold slower.
This causes severe lag in-game, HARDOCP already demonstrated this in BF4 and said it was gameplay breaking.
This doesn't just happen in BF4, any game that exceeds 2GB of memory usage will suffer, this includes Bioshock Infinite, Hitman Absolution & modded Skyrim.
Upcoming games like Watchdogs will also require 3GB of memory.

Now lets talk about Mantle shall we, BF4, Mass Effect 4, Dragon Age Inquisiton and basically any Frosbite 3 game will support Mantle.
Mantle will improve performance significantly and improve CPU utilization, it will also implement in-game physics among other visual effects that weren't possible before.

The only scenario where I'd recommend the 770 over the 280X is if it the 4GB version was priced similarly to the 280X, which it is not.

Linus is already upgrading his 1.5GB GTX 590 because it's running out of memory.

You did the opposite of what he wanted... LOL

I'm the one who overclocks.

CPU: i5 2500k w/CM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OC'd@4.2GHz RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB  MOBO: Intel Burrage DP67BG GPU: MSI GTX770 Twin Frozr 2GB HDD: 2x Seagate 2TB Barracuda PSU: Gigabyte ODIN 550W

it truly doesn't matter which card you get, both will be PERFECTLY fine for games for a couple years, don't sweat it

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Quadros aren't designed for gaming and as such not all the VRAM is required to be accessed simultaneously, they are designed for compute very similar to the Tesla's , Quadros are like the bridge between Tesla and Geforce.

And why the … are you bitching about Memory in a thread which is about R9 270 vs GTX 770?

Because he is making a recommendation of the 4GB 770 in which the extra money spent is pretty much useless which I am trying to explain to him but he's being ignorant...

You can get PhysX with any GPU. Just use your CPU for it.

You can get PhysX with any GPU. Just use your CPU for it.

1. Runs like crap on the cpu

2. Not a full PhysX, it would not run advanced PhysX, only basic effects, because advanced PhysX would rape the cpu muuuch more. Advanced PhysX only runs on nvidia cards but I'm not saying you should buy nvidia card for PhysX, I'm only saying its something to keep in mind if you like extra effects. :)