Asus P8H61 Plus vs Asus P8Z77-V LX

Asus P8H61 or P877-V LX?  

1. 1. Asus P8H61 or P877-V LX?

• Asus P8H61
    • Asus P877-V LX

I've started a "cheap gaming build project" and I'm looking for good components. I have already decided that I'm going to go with the 1155 socket since that's the most available and affordable in my area (I live in Europe). Now I came across the Asus P8H61 Plus and the Asus P8Z77-V LX which both look better than the rest of the ones available (presentation wise, all other pictures are dark and look as if they were taken in an underground bunker). Now since I'm kinda really new to PC building I thought I'd ask for help here. Which of those is the best. Is there a clear winner or do they both have their pro's and con's? Is one better for overclocking (which I don't play on doing just yet but maybe in the future)? Are there any 'must have features' on one of them? And is there one more 'future proof' (even though they are both pretty old). Thanks in advance!

Well the z77 board supports overclocking with a "k" cpu, and ivybridge architectures as well, the h61 board is a basic board, I would use that if you are using a locked chip like an i5 2400, or an i3.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

11 hours ago, SLAYR said:

Well the z77 board supports overclocking with a "k" cpu, and ivybridge architectures as well, the h61 board is a basic board, I would use that if you are using a locked chip like an i5 2400, or an i3.

I'm going for either a 2400 or a 3470 but does the h61 board support the 3470? It is the same socket so should't it just work fine on both?

11 hours ago, iwillchangemyusername said:

I'm going for either a 2400 or a 3470 but does the h61 board support the 3470? It is the same socket so should't it just work fine on both?

Intel releases multiple cpus per socket, to support the later cpus the first chipset boards will need a bios update to get support, and sometimes the manufacturer may never add support. This will require a working sandybridge cpu in it to update. 

They have done this for lga 771, 775, 1156, 1155, 1150, 2011, 2011-3 it is nothing new.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •