nikon d3300 or canon?

So ive really been wanting a dslr lately. I will mostly use it for video but allso for stills, and ive been looking at the d3300, which looks like the best when it comes to specs. I really favour it for the aspect of 60fps 1080p video. However i see canon dslr's with worse specs for more. Is this just some kind of canon tax? Or is there an actual advantage with cannon dslrs in the d3300's price range?

53 minutes ago, victorkristi said:

So ive really been wanting a dslr lately. I will mostly use it for video but allso for stills, and ive been looking at the d3300, which looks like the best when it comes to specs. I really favour it for the aspect of 60fps 1080p video. However i see canon dslr's with worse specs for more. Is this just some kind of canon tax? Or is there an actual advantage with cannon dslrs in the d3300's price range?

Canon and Nikon each do their own thing and they set the price for their cameras in their own ways.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

The only real advantage, would be the flip out screens on the canon equivalents (i.e. Canon T3i). If you're filming yourself, it can be a godsend to have that tool at your disposal. Where as it takes some practice to get the focus right on a non flip out screen such as on the D3300. Also in my experience, there is a bit more lens support for Canons vs Nikon cameras. There's also Magic Lantern. Which is essentially a hack that allows you to film in raw, or high bitrates with canon cameras.