Getting into AI programming

Claryn

Hi. 

I am an Msci Computer Science student, currently in my second year. I am planning to go for a specialization on AI in year 4 when I have to chose what my Masters will be on.

However, I want to start looking at AI programming straight away, and try and get a good understanding of how it all works. 

I have looked at the ANKI Cozmo that Luke covered in a video some weeks back, as he mentioned that it can be used as a toy for learning AI programming. Thought I'm a bit uncertain if it will be sufficient to get a good understanding of AI programming, since it seems more aimed at kids with little prior programming experience. 

So my question to you all is whether there is a very good resource for getting into AI programming that is aimed at undergraduate students or someone with the same experience?

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

AI is a pretty wide field, but mostly when people refer to it they mean machine learning. Deep learning is today's craze, and at th basis of that there are neural networks, a mathematical model inspired by our biological neural networks. But of course, there's more things to understand before you reach those.

I've gone through a course on coursera.org from Stanford on Machine Learning (by Andrew Ng) and it was a great way to understand those things. I wouldn't say it was ideal, but I learned what I wanted to learn nevertheless.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

1 hour ago, Claryn said:

Hi. 

I am an Msci Computer Science student, currently in my second year. I am planning to go for a specialization on AI in year 4 when I have to chose what my Masters will be on.

However, I want to start looking at AI programming straight away, and try and get a good understanding of how it all works. 

I have looked at the ANKI Cozmo that Luke covered in a video some weeks back, as he mentioned that it can be used as a toy for learning AI programming. Thought I'm a bit uncertain if it will be sufficient to get a good understanding of AI programming, since it seems more aimed at kids with little prior programming experience. 

So my question to you all is whether there is a very good resource for getting into AI programming that is aimed at undergraduate students or someone with the same experience?

code academy has a Watson tutorial in python.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Thank you both for the inputs, I'll will check them both out.

I also found this free course that looks good: https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-artificial-intelligence--cs271

it is an original Stanford University course in AI. Anyone got any experience with udacity?

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

I took some courses at Udacity. I think they are really good. Everything around the topic which the course focuses is explained and visualized really good. Sometimes there is a quiz between two lessons where you can test the things you just learned. Their English is pretty easy to understand as well, which is probably less important for you if you're a native speaker.

And most important, the courses themselves are completely free. If you want a certificate and some tests you'd have to go with a nanodegree program, but if you're doing your master in that topic, there is probably no need for a nanodegree for you :D