Should I bother with a different CPU cooler

SouthernPotato
Go to solution Solved by Simon771,

I had that same CPU, and I can tell you that you don't need any other cooler.

56°C is cold for CPU.

If it would get up to 80°C I would concider doing something about it.

But as long as your temps are under 70°C you are just fine.

It's not worth to get any other cooler for that CPU. There won't be any benefit from it. Thermal throttling will become active when you reach 95°C, so you are faaar away from that.

I have a Intel i5 3350P 3.1 GHz (running at 3.3 GHz), non-K edition, and for the last three years I've been gaming on it with relative contentment. I've been using the Intel stock cooler. I've been wondering if I should get a new cooler for a while now, so I monitored my CPU temps while I was playing GTA 5 to see if I could find anything that would indicate a reason for a new CPU cooler. What I found was that the CPU hit a maximum of 56 C and that it didn't thermal throttle as far as I could tell. Does that make it worth the 50 or so dollars that a hyper 212x would cost? I've browsed around and what I can tell, it doesn't actually seem like it would make that much of a difference. So I ask you, should I test more rigorously, and is a cooler worth it?

Thank you for your time

Radeon HD 7950 3GB | Intel i5 3350P @ 3.3GHz | 16GB RAM | MSI B75MA-P45

Samsung 840 EVO 256GB | Western Digital Black 1TB

From a Thermal Standpoint it sounds like you don't need to upgrade, however from a Noise Standpoint you might want to, find a different cooler that has the same cooling rating with less noise.

I had that same CPU, and I can tell you that you don't need any other cooler.

56°C is cold for CPU.

If it would get up to 80°C I would concider doing something about it.

But as long as your temps are under 70°C you are just fine.

It's not worth to get any other cooler for that CPU. There won't be any benefit from it. Thermal throttling will become active when you reach 95°C, so you are faaar away from that.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

As said, only thing you are getting better is noise. And looks if you into those. If you go for cooler, think what your CPU is going to be going forward. Will you be OCing, will it be gaming or will it just be same kind of lower tier CPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv