What Makes A Expensive Mouse Worthy?

Boxing Kitten

I own a basic Microsoft 4500 Comfort series mouse.https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/business/comfort-mouse-4500-for-business/4eh-00004

1. Is it capable for gaming or will I be destroyed in every game genre?

2. What Makes a gaming mouse good? Weight? Sensor? Drivers?

3. Is there a notable difference between a $20+ and a $60+ gaming mouse?

4. Why would you suggest one or not? 

Thanks in advance.

The mouse is only as good as you are. Personally, I use the G502 since I'm an RTS player and find the macros to be beneficial for complex commands like "H" for Town Center or "," for idle villager.

And, yes, I'm referring to Age of Empires, if anyone is curious.

3 minutes ago, Giovanni7 said:

Depends on what you're looking to do.

I like heavy mice and use a medium DPI. I prefer having macros since they allow commands to be done without removing one's hand from WASD.

As long as you stay away from Razer no name brands.

I'd suggest the G502, but it's better to head to Best Buy (tech store in general) and try some mice to see which conforms to your hand and preference.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1. RGB light

2. Amount of extra buttons

3. DPI. Custom DPI and higher/lower DPI

4. Brand.

I would suggest my Logitech G402, not too much to pay for and does good

9 minutes ago, Giovanni7 said:

I own a basic Microsoft 4500 Comfort series mouse.https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/business/comfort-mouse-4500-for-business/4eh-00004

Thanks in advance.

Performance and reliability are king.

Sensors and switches must be good, and the design utilizing the switches must be good too.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/yKhj4D/logitech-g403-prodigy-wired-optical-mouse-910-004796

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/VfYXsY/logitech-mouse-910004074

RGB: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/kJM323/logitech-mouse-910004615

1 minute ago, Giovanni7 said:

Thanks in advance.

Well that's really up to you. I prefer mice with lighter clicks, customizable dpi and something that preferably fits my hand well. 

Will you be destroyed? No not necessarily given that in due time you get used to that mouse. From there on it's up to you to know how to react to situations.

What makes a gaming mouse good is the testing that goes behind it, the hardware and durability behind it plus ...at times the drivers yes though i don't install the driver on all the computers I access since my mouse has a bit of memory of what settings I've programmed in last. 

Yes there is a notable difference. 

I would suggest one usually based off of what I've used and how it compares to other mice out there. I'd look up what it goes through and basically do my research before buying.

I'm using a Logitech G502 fyi. 

i like a basic $10 mouse but I'm not a hardcore Arma player. Iv had the same three button mouse for almost a decade, it gives me no disability in FPS

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Expensive mice often have better sensors, as well as better/more controls (often just additional buttons), and prioritization for configuration software (Logitech Options, Corsair Utility Engine, Razer Synapse, etc.). AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: LEDs.

Going with some reasonably priced mice from reputable companies, you won't get destroyed in games. They just don't have all the bells and whistles.

There are also some luxury that have some features in common with gaming mice, but can also have their own tricks up their sleeves. My MX Master has a "gesture" system that allows me to access some commands that don't have keyboard shortcuts.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 - Doesn't make too big a difference for gaming, unless it's a super cheap wireless mouse.

2 - The materials, hardware inside the mouse, weight and sensor can make a mouse better for specific uses, but generally doesn't matter too much for the average person

3 - The only difference is the hardware inside, the buttons on the outside and if it lights up or not. 

I've used cheap and expensive mice. For me, they all seem to hold up about the same

4 - I'd only get one if you wanted one badly enough, wanted it for a specific use (like some mice have all those extra buttons for macros and such, might be helpful in a few games.

9 minutes ago, Giovanni7 said:

Thanks in advance.

Pretty much it boils down to Quality and Sensor used.  If you buy a cheap mouse it's likely not as high quality or has a cheap sensor (or both) in it that might not track and accurately as a more expensive mouse.  I had  G500s it felt fine when I used it, but after upgrading to a G502 I can feel the difference between the 2 and the G500s feel disgusting.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

10 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

The mouse is only as good as you are. Personally, I use the G502 since I'm an RTS player and find the macros to be beneficial for complex commands like "H" for Town Center or "," for idle villager.

I like heavy mice and use a medium DPI. I prefer having macros since they allow commands to be done without removing one's hand from WASD.

I'd suggest the G502, but it's better to head to Best Buy (tech store in general) and try some mice to see which conforms to your hand and preference.

So I take it Razer is a no go or overrated?

7 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

Pretty much it boils down to Quality and Sensor used.  If you buy a cheap mouse it's likely not as high quality or has a cheap sensor (or both) in it that might not track and accurately as a more expensive mouse.

How do you determine sensor quality? Is there a numerical standard?

I've had bad experiences with Razer. 2 mice that go bad after a year. I also have a G502, it's quit nice. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

It was just a joke. Pay little no mind to it. If you're looking for a good balanced mouse though, I'd suggest some of Logitech's offerings. The G402 and G502 are member favorites.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Expensive mice often have better sensors, as well as better/more controls (often just additional buttons), and prioritization for configuration software (Logitech Options, Corsair Utility Engine, Razer Synapse, etc.). AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: LEDs.

Going with some reasonably priced mice from reputable companies, you won't get destroyed in games. They just don't have all the bells and whistles.

There are also some luxury that have some features in common with gaming mice, but can also have their own tricks up their sleeves. My MX Master has a "gesture" system that allows me to access some commands that don't have keyboard shortcuts.

Do LEDs ever have any applicable game functionality?

No It's more like people test the mouse and say it use "so and so" sensor and they say whether it has any tracking issue or built in acceleration (which you don't want).  Only way to really find out is to do research and look at all the mice people use/suggest.  I personally use G402 and G502 both are great.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

14 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Are macros crucial in most games or are they used to suplement for example have a standard layout  or 60% keyboard?

2 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

I've had bad experiences with Razer. 2 mice that go bad after a year. I also have a G502, it's quit nice. 

Sounds like a reasonable concern :/

I've had this guy since 2010, used it even before I was gaming and it's still going strong. It's not heavy though the other mice in the R.A.T line have weights though. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826618023

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Are macros crucial in most games or are they used to suplement for example have a standard layout  or 60% keyboard?

Definitely supplemental. You don't NEED them, but it's nice to have them for those functions like "throw grenade 1", "melee", or "M" for map in games. Keeps you mobile on WASD while you're doing an action that would otherwise be taken away.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I have RGB on my current mouse.  It is set on my favorite colour:  OFF. 

^_^

"Obvious fluorescent failure"?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Generally speaking it sounds like Logitech has earned it's merits in this space and I'll try my hand at gaming with my current 4500 while I save up to perhaps pick one up. If anyone has any Strong suggestions for other mice brands or models I'll definitely read and digest any input on this matter. Huge thanks again to all the mice guru's here.

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

"Obvious fluorescent failure"?

A bright shining LED coming from my mouse turned out to be way more annoying than pleasant.

On another note, I can vouch for Logitech customer support.  They are good.  My G602 started failing after a year, buttons.  They sent me another with no trouble at all.  I did not even have to send them my old one.

Now I have a dysfunctional G602, and one brand new sitting in a box.  I bought a new mouse before the replacement G602 arrived.  I'm impatient.

I personally use a Razer Deathadder Chroma and have no issues other than my complaint about 16000 Dpi (usually unnecessary). Fun fact, there are very few sensors out there, so when you buy a mouse that claims the same sensor specs as another, they most likely have the same sensor. But truthfully the biggest selling point should be how much you like the way the mouse both feels and performs.