Silent Not_a_bong_cooling - build log

Is it possible to make a nearly silent gaming PC cheaply?

I wanted cool my PC with evaporation, then I saw Bong Cooling but I found it is too loud and unreliable. So could I make it better?

Spoiler

First I want to admit that I live in Poland (central Europe) and to get parts for DIY is really hard and expensive. Just imagine you can't use Amazon, because shipment is really expensive.

And sorry for any mistakes i made, English is not my main language.

I figured out the water can't fall from more than 5cm (2') and water area must be as big as possible. First I wanted to make a waterfall but I would need a high performance, loud and expensive water pump and wide tubings. Then i figured out the water must be standing. And my solution:

And it costed 100zł=25$! Pump, tubing, water blocks and metal clips It can cool most powerfull non-sli PC! 

Spoiler

I'm using 13 yrs old CPC water blocks. Everybody said they were rubbish even then (very tiny tube diameter - 6mm). But as I don't use radiator I don't need high throughtput. For mounting it came with i think socket 7 mounting, i bended it and used dremelland it now fits AM3+.  For GPU I used 2 NB mountings and some tape.

Tubes are from building store and boxes from Ferrero Roche. Sweet piece of hardware

Spoiler

As I'm cooling AMD FX-4130 and GTX 465 after OC i need to dissipate more than 300W. So how big does it need to be?

m/(S∗t)  = (25+v) S (xs-xp) - mass of water evaporated i hour from m^2

t - time

v - wind speed (don't need that, 'cos I don't use fan)

S - area of water (in square meters)

xs - humidity ratio of saturated air at the same temperature as the water surface (In calculator insert water temp. and 100% humidity)

xp - humidity ratio of air (insert temp. of surrrounding air and its humidity)

P=(h ∗ m)/3600 + 1,(6)∗S∗∆T - amount of power that can be dissipated - from evaporation + from conduction (my calculations)

h - evaporation heat of water (2257 kJ/kg)

∆T - temperature difference

I my case with 21C 50% ambient to dissipate 300W water temperature would need to be 40-41C and it actually is 40C. 0,323kg of water is dissipating per hour.

I've been using it for a week and it works. I can't even hear it. I'm so happy, I think I'm first who did something like this!

Sources: some of my calculations are based on Engineeringtoolbox.com and my sister made me that painting

IMG_1454.jpgBez tytułu.jpg

Wykres.jpg

Older ver.:

Spoiler

P1030328.JPG

Edit: And if somebody wonders how CPU can be cooler than water temperature. I've measured temp. in the highest box (right after end of the loop), and the pump is on the bottom so it sucks water of lower temp. Also CPU is first in the loop so it gets colder water, GPU water already heated by CPU

Some mistakes I've made and you really shouldn't:

Spoiler

Be 110% sure you've attached your tubing that it can't move and then check again. I haven't and caused some rain downstairs.

Also attach tubing that they don't slope near connection to the outside cooler. Some drops may stick to the tubing and then fall down in the lowest point, propably in your PC case (wrong example shown in old ver.

From the beginning use some antibacterial chemicals (or few drops of Carex soap seems to work preety well for me, constantly sitting in my system, doesn't foam) for fountains or change water often. If not you might block up your water blocks and make your tubings look rotten.

Make sure your pump is reliable, mine if it's sitting idle for a longer time fills with air and doesn't start even if connected to power. And as I can't hear it working even if working (wich is desired) I found it out when my PC overheated.

My silent evaporation cooler - Silent Not_a_bong_cooling 

Laing DDC-1T

i5-7600K and MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk (EK Waterblocks)

Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming 7, 2x 8GB Crucial 2666MHz

Kingston V300 60GB, Toshiba 1TB, Samsung HD403LJ, Toshiba MK2035GSS
Fortron Raider 750 (only one that can handle voltage drops in my house)
Creative Sound Core 3d + 5.1 Home Theater

#PCMustardRace

Thanks for replies! I really wanted so I used opportunity and entered science competition. I've got certificate for participation :/ So I thought people who are into PC maybe will be more interested about it.

Laing DDC-1T

#PCMustardRace

very nice!  glad to see people experimenting with things!  9°c is a great deltaT

dunno if you've seen this around, but this guy has some neat ideas

http://www.overclock.net/t/1202757/build-log-project-rainfall-finished

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

@0ld_ChickenThanks for the link. His work just looks amazing, but it's totally different target. I bet mine is not that much hotter, it is nearly completly silent while he has 4 fans and droplets falling falling from 0,5m. And mine was made to be unhearable. Also his one extremly complicated. But that towel cooler is really clever.

And on the other hand mine looks like sh!t. I need to work on this. But as it is hidden behind my desk and I don't have to show it off it is ok.

Laing DDC-1T

#PCMustardRace

• 1 month later...

I've updated my cooling. Changed base reservoir to to smaller and transparent (I had extreme luck, I've found it in shop and it fits edge-to-edge!), mounted tubing properly and added some other improvements.

And I've added lightning, but I will only use it to show-off and turn it off for every day use, 'cos I don't want to be distracted. This was reason to make it quiet in the first place, so why now ruine it? I also wanted it to look as Polish flag and in person it looks that way.

I'm now testing different chemicals for making water fresh, Carex soap seems to work suprisingly well.

I've been using it for 1,5 month on my main PC and for now it is reliable and really usable.

Please tell me if you have any advices or questions. I just want to know if anybody cares.

Laing DDC-1T

#PCMustardRace

I like it, could you please post more pictures?

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

Not a masterpiece. But I think it's simple. The boxes are from Ferrero Roche

IMG_1459.JPG

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG

Laing DDC-1T

#PCMustardRace

7 hours ago, Jacek13 said:

Not a masterpiece. But I think it's simple.

I think it's great, you've got a bright future!  Thanks for posting!

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

• 6 months later...

An update: I haven't stopped developing it, won bronze medal at Polish nationalwide physics competition with that project, and now finally created a Youtube video! (well... I'm rubbish at talking to the camera) And a mini version of my cooling. Here are some of the best photos and the final project.5974aaa5a561e_Chodzenie.png.b3cdd9ebe9c2491c3e21b06f852410ee.pngKartaTemp.png.578d846c104fb8147fa2d68bb7501039.pngWP_20170401_20_04_55_Pro.thumb.jpg.3fdc580da49b98b9b0926d5fc36e33d0.jpg20170720_131242.thumb.jpg.1d161fa387c63cbc38500273df4aa8ea.jpg

watermark_Prezentacja 0.93Eng.pdf

1_właściwy_wir.avi

Laing DDC-1T

#PCMustardRace