Recommended parts for a friend on Black Friday. I didn't mess up, right?

seon123

So on black friday, a friend asked me to find parts for a build for him. It's his first gaming rig, so he has no experience building PCs or choosing parts. He gave me a budget of around 10 000 NOK (just imagine it's around $1000), and I chose these parts. I didn't screw him over totally, right? I just want a piece of mind.

Btw, the country is Norway, and the currency is Norwegian krone.

Intel Core i3-6100 (1199,-)

MSI B150M Bazooka Plus (849,-)

8GB 2133MHz DDR4 from Crucial, no heatspreaders or anything (490,-)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (4249,-)

Intel 600p 256GB (699,-)

Seagate Barracuda 1TB (445,-)

Corsair Carbide 200R (419,-)

Cooler Master B700 v. 2 (539,-)

Windows 10 Home USB (1190,-)

The main concern is the i3, however, the options were the i3-6100+GTX 1070, or an i5 (6400/6500/6600K)+GTX 1060 6GB

For peripherals I recommended the G710 keyboard and the Philips 240V5QDAB monitor.

:)

Personally, I'd go with the i5 with the 1060 in case he wants to play a CPU heavy game or do something other than gaming. Otherwise, looks good! When making computers in the future, try this site for an easy link instead of listing the parts.

Hope this helps...

-Delta

Just now, DeltaGames said:

Personally, I'd go with the i5 with the 1060 in case he wants to play a CPU heavy game or do something other than gaming. Otherwise, looks good! When making computers in the future, try this site for an easy link instead of listing the parts.

He plays mostly Rainbow Six Siege, Rocket League and Civilization 5. I don't think those would be too demanding on the CPU. 

I chose to list the parts to show the Norwegian prices, I do normally use the site. 

Thanks

Just now, seon123 said:

He plays mostly Rainbow Six Siege, Rocket League and Civilization 5. I don't think those would be too demanding on the CPU. 

I chose to list the parts to show the Norwegian prices, I do normally use the site. 

Thanks

I think Civ 5 is a little CPU heavy, you might want to check.

Hope this helps...

-Delta

You should have told him i5 and 1060

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Actually i5 and 480 because those are AMD titles

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

4 minutes ago, DeltaGames said:

I think Civ 5 is a little CPU heavy, you might want to check.

Civ 5 is from 2010, and it seems like 100FPS+ shouldn't be an issue

4 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

You should at least get an i5.

The option with an i5 would sacrifice the GPU

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Well the i3 will bottleneck the 1070 unless he is playing at 4K. Did you already buy parts? I can make a build for 10000 kr. 

Civ 5 is from 2010, and it seems like 100FPS+ shouldn't be an issue

What about Crysis? Old games aren't always easy to run

At the high end, the difference would not be as great between the graphics cards as it would be with the CPUs.

Go for the i5.

Hope this helps...

-Delta

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Well the i3 will bottleneck the 1070 unless he is playing at 4K. Did you already buy parts? I can make a build for 10000 kr. 

Another great point.

Hope this helps...

-Delta

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

You should have told him i5 and 1060

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Actually i5 and 480 because those are AMD titles

Haha, I'm really doubting my choice now. Since a CPU upgrade would most likely require a platform upgrade, while the GPU can just be swapped out... The RX 480 would be an option too, but I thought that in general, the 1060 6GB would perform better?

Just now, seon123 said:

Haha, I'm really doubting my choice now. Since a CPU upgrade would most likely require a platform upgrade, while the GPU can just be swapped out... The RX 480 would be an option too, but I thought that in general, the 1060 6GB would perform better?

Well, because 2 of those titles are AMD optimized, the 480 would in general perform better. He could always go for an i7 later.

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Yeah, he's already bought the parts on Friday. Hopefully the performance will be good enough, though

3 minutes ago, DeltaGames said:

What about Crysis? Old games aren't always easy to run

At the high end, the difference would not be as great between the graphics cards as it would be with the CPUs.

Go for the i5.

Civilization runs at around 100 FPS on my FX6300 R9 280, so it's not too demanding

He's already bought the parts, and the GPUs were on sale. 

Just now, seon123 said:

Well, He'll be fine. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

Yeah, he's already bought the parts on Friday. Hopefully the performance will be good enough, though

Performance will be pretty good, but he wont get the max performance out of the 1070 unless he is playing at 4K or up. Even an i5 can hold it back

i don't know what to say bro, should have posted before...

Hope this helps...

-Delta

That PSU is also meh

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, DeltaGames said:

i don't know what to say bro, should have posted before...

I was only had the phone, and had stuff to do when he asked. I forgot to ask the forum

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

That PSU is also meh

I know, but it was cost the same as the EVGA 600W PSU. And it has 54 amps on the 12v. He's not going to overclock

I know, but it was cost the same as the EVGA 600W PSU. And it has 54 amps on the 12v. He's not going to overclock

It should be OK then 

Spoiler

AXIOM

Op reputation is on the line. I know how that feels. Need to have some fuckin damn self confidence!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list